SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
4381 - 4400 of 4472 Posts

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
2,822 Posts
Perhaps, but by that same logic, why do people still love wooden canoes and sleeping in a tent if motorboats (or even composite canoes) and modern houses are, by definition, better watercraft and superior shelter, respectively?

Reactions: ZZZZZZZ

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I'm keeping the R until XC70 or v60 pricing is more reasonable

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ZZZZZZZ

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,384 ·
You're probably right. If I'd have had the cash to go there 18-24 months ago, I may have. I do love my VR though.
Even though v60 (pre spa) aren't anywhere as great at carrying stuff, I'd have probably looked for a hot one of those, lowered it and thrown some 19s on it and been prepared for wheel straigtening budget. I don't ever really carry anything in my car anyway. That's what the v70XC is for. 🤣
Because we all know it's a superior automobile in every sense of the word!
Bought a new set of ZLines and they'll be here Saturday. Then to get them on the s60, get it aligned and to pass emissions. FINGERS CROSSED.
I'm sending the best four off of the s60 and VR to the v70XC to replace really old Bridgestones that came off the s60 and the VR!
If the tires are good date coded, I will get another set for the VR. They've gone up: 448 to the door now, 64 for installation.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
You're probably right. If I'd have had the cash to go there 18-24 months ago, I may have. I do love my VR though.
Even though v60 (pre spa) aren't anywhere as great at carrying stuff, I'd have probably looked for a hot one of those, lowered it and thrown some 19s on it and been prepared for wheel straigtening budget. I don't ever really carry anything in my car anyway. That's what the v70XC is for.

Bought a new set of ZLines and they'll be here Saturday. Then to get them on the s60, get it aligned and to pass emissions. FINGERS CROSSED.
I'm sending the best four off of the s60 and VR to the v70XC to replace really old Bridgestones that came off the s60 and the VR!
If the tires are good date coded, I will get another set for the VR. They've gone up: 448 to the door now, 64 for installation.
Where are you buying from? Also aren't your vr wheels 17x8? Does the s60 also run 235's?

Can't wait to see if that maf works haha

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
$448 still a killer price for the rubber you're getting

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Agreed. Where did you get them Ian?

I just put a set of my fave middle of the road General Altimax RT43's on my car and they're up to $150+ each now, granted, 18's.

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,388 · (Edited)
Running all three cars on the same size wheel and tire. 235/45/17. If I had unlimited funds I'd have a different setup on the v70XC but my son likes the Chris pegs on it and those are the tires I had leftover from both the s60 and the VR (pole positions). The car was primarily around town for short trips to the store, HS and around the City. They're very hard and wear very well.

I bought this set of new zLines at walmart online, they'll will be shipped to the store and I will take a set of thors with me to get them installed (walmart won't install tires they don't sell and neither does Costsco now). Then I will swap out the set, and get the s60 aligned at my tire guy or the dealer if the cost is nominally different. The next set will be for the VR in the Spring is my guess, but probably sooner than later. Maybe within the month.

Cheapest I've bought zLines is $83.97 a piece in mid-2019 to the door at Simple tire, but as soon as my local shops I liked and Costco stopped being helpful installing someone else's tires, it messed me up. OK yeah, it's been two years since I bought a set. The car got new front struts I installed and I should have been better at rotation and alignments...

112 dollar increase for the four isn't the end of the world, but it goes to show that everything has gone nuts. These better not be 2016 date coded or I'm getting refunded...
[edit: FOOOF! I just checked simple tire and the same tires to the door are $602!! Damn glad I checked. I'm not a fan of the wally but sheesh - saving 154 bucks is nothing to throw rocks at.]
Where are you buying from? Also aren't your vr wheels 17x8? Does the s60 also run 235's?

Can't wait to see if that maf works haha

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,390 ·
The only set of General I ever used was on our lawn tractor 35 years ago. LOL
🎵"Sooner or later, you'll own Generals"🎵
Agreed. Where did you get them Ian?

I just put a set of my fave middle of the road General Altimax RT43's on my car and they're up to $150+ each now, granted, 18's.

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
zLines have been creeping up for a while. I think the prices were just insane in the beginning to get people on the Nokian train. Now we're all here and, well, the train is still going good places, so we're still here.

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
I'll have to try them next time - see what all the excitement's about, lol. They're $100 less a set than my go-to for this car.

Reactions: JaredR

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,393 ·
They had nobody to install. This staff shortage stuff everywhere sucks.
2321 date coded! 👍🏻
Yesterday: s60 MAF install, cleaned glass, put on black mirror caps, installed the ambient air temp sensor and ac working well again for 28 bucks! Was going to wash but rain expected all week. Today a vida scan and clear service reminder, clear maf codes.
Tomorrow, mount, balance, four wheel align, crossing fingers for emission pass.
Wish me luck.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Ambient temp sensor?

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
2,822 Posts
Ambient temp sensor?

Yup — in the CCM unit, behind where there's three small horizontal slats through which cabin air is pulled in (if I'm understanding correctly that we're talking about the cabin ambient air temp sensor lol).

Reactions: tabormeister

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Yup — in the CCM unit, behind where there's three small horizontal slats through which cabin air is pulled in (if I'm understanding correctly that we're talking about the cabin ambient air temp sensor lol).
Oh the thing with the little fan in it

Reactions: SilverStreak177

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4,397 ·
No- the thing I am not using right name for then. Evaporator temp sensor. It took 30 days to come from Latvia but it was cheap.
Bicycle part Rim Font Auto part Cylinder

·
Registered
2,407 Posts

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
They had nobody to install. This staff shortage stuff everywhere sucks.
2321 date coded! 👍🏻
Yesterday: s60 MAF install, cleaned glass, put on black mirror caps, installed the ambient air temp sensor and ac working well again for 28 bucks! Was going to wash but rain expected all week. Today a vida scan and clear service reminder, clear maf codes.
Tomorrow, mount, balance, four wheel align, crossing fingers for emission pass.
Wish me luck.
Good to hear you're getting fresh rubber in that size. It's getting to be a struggle in 215/45. I think I'm going to go up to 225/45 for my 850s next time around and see if that helps.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I remember you talking about how much you enjoyed the Nokians somewhere on this site but couldn’t remember. I just got new tires and was tempted to ask you. I went with Costco special. Michelin pilot sport all season 4 with the Costco discount and Michelin it was 673 installed. First tire experience with Costco. Shipping took longer than expected but service was great. Hopefully it stays that way for the life of the tires. So far so good. Rubbing is night and day from the continentals. The xc90 needs tires. I’ll have to look into those!

4381 - 4400 of 4472 Posts