SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
THAT is sick.
Good for you, man - now you've got a really good list to work on with the extra cash you saved, and can buy some Volans!
Thank you! I might try to find a set of Propus wheels for it, been drooling over them for years and they'd look MINT on the sedan. Depending on the scope creep I will try to find some form of ultralight wheel for track use, but that's way down the line. You should see the excel doc I made, it's nothing fancy but I love itemizing my parts lists haha

·
Registered
15,447 Posts
Use to hate excel. I love it now, and need to add all the P2 data in from three to keep track. I guess I better do that soon.
450 for some Cs near me...
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/wto/d/herndon-bbs-volvo-propus-wheels/6908700430.html
Thank you! I might try to find a set of Propus wheels for it, been drooling over them for years and they'd look MINT on the sedan. Depending on the scope creep I will try to find some form of ultralight wheel for track use, but that's way down the line. You should see the excel doc I made, it's nothing fancy but I love itemizing my parts lists haha

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Use to hate excel. I love it now, and need to add all the P2 data in from three to keep track. I guess I better do that soon.
450 for some Cs near me...
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/wto/d/herndon-bbs-volvo-propus-wheels/6908700430.html
The first Co-op I had made me fall in love with excel, it's so nice to make modular lists with. I quoted shipping wheels months ago when you told me about those free Amalthea's you knew about. If they could be shipped it might be worth it, but I may be taking a road trip at the end of the summer that would open up me shopping nationally for a set. Is $450 a good price for a set of Propus C's? They're not in perfect condition but none of my wheels are...

·
Registered
15,365 Posts
I think that different gear ratios can be argued to be better than others, that's out of my knowledge base, but squeezing every ounce of speed out of a car can easily be pushed there. I also think that the main preference is if the extra cost is worth it or not, and that is not only the age old question (I've been writing too many discussion posts like this for online history class lately haha) but also the one I'll be answering soon. Luckily, from my perspective, I don't think I can make a wrong decision.
You can make a wrong choice. For example, if you were building a 850 to be a GT car, any M56 swap would be the wrong answer. The AW50-42LE's long ratios are much nicer on the highway, but at the expense of making whatever they're in an abysmal city car. That's why my 850R is getting a M66D.

·
Registered
15,447 Posts
Scottish and Jared would know for sure, but they come up so rarely. I fear as old as many of our cars are getting, stuff just goes to the yard and gets crushed and is gone forever.
Refinish lightly yourself as long as they're not cracked or bent would save a lot. If you get over this way, let's have a beer or a coffee!
The first Co-op I had made me fall in love with excel, it's so nice to make modular lists with. I quoted shipping wheels months ago when you told me about those free Amalthea's you knew about. If they could be shipped it might be worth it, but I may be taking a road trip at the end of the summer that would open up me shopping nationally for a set. Is $450 a good price for a set of Propus C's? They're not in perfect condition but none of my wheels are...

·
Registered
16,074 Posts
Kinda high. $400 is about what a mint set has been going for for a while

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The first Co-op I had made me fall in love with excel, it's so nice to make modular lists with.
I'm a fan of the Mac OS version (numbers), or open/libre office now that Microsoft is going full subscription mode.

Really excited to see you make progress on this thing! I'll try and share what I've learned with my R. First bit of knowledge, taking it slow and fixing a few small things at a time is much, much easier than trying to delve in right away.

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
Ultimately I would really like to go all in and RN swap a 855R, or build & m66 swap a 2000 VR, currently one of those two is my dream car. Did they even build passion red VR's in 2000?
No, that ended with '99. Venetian was the reddish color for '00.

Great read and congrats on the new to you R!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Scottish and Jared would know for sure, but they come up so rarely. I fear as old as many of our cars are getting, stuff just goes to the yard and gets crushed and is gone forever.
Refinish lightly yourself as long as they're not cracked or bent would save a lot. If you get over this way, let's have a beer or a coffee!
My girlfriend and I actually want to do an East Coast road trip at the end of the summer, so I might take you up on that beer offer!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm a fan of the Mac OS version (numbers), or open/libre office now that Microsoft is going full subscription mode.

Really excited to see you make progress on this thing! I'll try and share what I've learned with my R. First bit of knowledge, taking it slow and fixing a few small things at a time is much, much easier than trying to delve in right away.
Getting the subscriptions free from school and work are nice, but not going to last forever lol. But I will definitely be excited for when I bring the R back to Milwaukee, hopefully we get larger meets by then.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

Thank you! Excited to pick it up and get it back on the road! IDK how I feel about Venetian, passion/bright red really do something for me. I'll have to track down passion 99's then. Maybe join the p2r gang, but that's barely in my 5 year plan

·
Registered
15,365 Posts

Passion Red didn't come out till the P2 era. All the red P80s are 601 except 850Rs in 609.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Passion Red didn't come out till the P2 era. All the red P80s are 601 except 850Rs in 609.
Is the color code different or just the name? I've always known and seen it as 601 passion/classic red for both p80 and p2

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
Is the color code different or just the name? I've always known and seen it as 601 passion/classic red for both p80 and p2
Passion Red color code is 612. I haven't seen them right next to each other so can't comment on the differences. 601 is called Classic/ Signal Red.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Passion Red color code is 612. I haven't seen them right next to each other so can't comment on the differences. 601 is called Classic/ Signal Red.
I'm dumb, I knew it was 601 classic/signal red lol. Passion and classic look almost indistinguishable side by side. Classic and Bright I haven't seen side by side. . . yet

·
Registered
15,365 Posts
I'm dumb, I knew it was 601 classic/signal red lol. Passion and classic look almost indistinguishable side by side. Classic and Bright I haven't seen side by side. . . yet
It's pretty dramatic

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Ben has a 99 red/tan R he’d sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hmm, all depends on how you define a GT car, LOL
One might get the impression that a lot are persuing a highly responsive car with lots of low end torque and lowest possible rpms's/MPGver on he highway on a stock bottom end.
Not sure that is a good thing or very realistic....

Seen all kinds of experiments with gearing in the past decade, from short ratio'ed M56 boxes on 600+ performance builds, to guys doing a M56H with final drive of a M56LK to M66D's in 850's of X70's

In the end, its a marginal difference and how good or wrong this ends up is determined by the spool/torque charactaristcs of your setup.

·
Registered
16,074 Posts
Ready to make the drive home! The passenger side hood latch is inoperable, any suggestions??
Smash out the grille and gain access to the cables across the top of the cooler stack and give it a good pull likely it’s stretched or come off its perch.

21 - 40 of 231 Posts