SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Do i see a moose on the left side of your license plate ?
Good eye! That’s one of the Minnesota special plates to support environmental conservation, rather popular in the local Volvo group. I have one on the 850 too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
More progress!!

And done!! Started right up and the airbags didn’t pop!

However, I ripped a vacuum line off of something, the secondary air system..?

There’s the nipple off of it that the vacuum line came off of,

This is what the purple vac line runs to, a turbo control valve? I’ve never noticed this before, but all these vacuum lines need replacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
844 Posts
Im not a 98 Guru but i think thats part of your Evap system. The turbo control valve is located on the passenger side of the airbox.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Looks like the Tcv. Here's a picture of the pierburg one from viva and the routing diagram.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
I'm finally back in this car, after the months long effort to restore AC. And, as I predicted, just in time for me to not need AC anymore. But there are still a couple nagging issues I want to fix with this car, so any insight would be useful;

1) The radio still doesn't work, even after cleaning up the wiring from all the aftermarket stuff that was added. It's still the same issue that only the radio doesn't work, disc changer works (haven't tested cassette player). I'm assuming it's an issue with the antenna. I checked the connections to the antennas on the rear glass, but the connections all seem fine, am I overlooking anything?

2) After the dash removal and replacement, the steering wheel shakes like crazy. Not rotationally, like a wheel imbalance, but rather vertically like its now unsupported. I think my issue is the same as Johns,

Here's my bolster bit: When I bought my V70, it had a weird steering wheel shake at highway speeds. Tires, alignment and all new suspension stuff didn't fix it.

From my my parts car, I installed the front passenger map pocket "upgrade" and deleted the passenger knee bolster. Huh, more squeaks and rattles in the dash than before. I noticed that my parts car had a bolster on the driver side too, my car never had one, I realized the PO had removed it. On a whim, I decided to re-install the driver side bolster, and guess what?! My highway steering wheel shake was gone! I promptly re-installed the passenger side bolster and never looked back. I never put anything useful in that pocket anyway. YMMV.
Is there a solution outside of replacing the crash bar? If not it'll be going back on.

3) After being in the C30 for awhile, it seems like my windows are excessively slow to roll up & down. Any fix for this? I've googled around but haven't found anything conclusive

·
Registered
15,898 Posts
I don't buy that explanation for the steering shake.

·
Registered
15,898 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Put that bolster back in and see what happens! That's the only way you'll know for sure.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Put that bolster back in and see what happens! That's the only way you'll know for sure.
Yup, I agree and that's my plan. Unfortunately I didn't save the bolster when I un-installed it. Of course. So now I'm hunting for one. I'm also going to heed your advice and reinstall the passenger side knee bolster to try and mitigate any dash rattles. This VR doesn't have many but might as well right!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm not super sure the passenger side bolster really did that much for the squeaks I had/ still have, but I have a really good feeling that re-installing the driver side bolster will help with your steering wheel shake. Especially since mine did the EXACT same up/ down shake. I was boggled by it for some time after replacing EVERY part that would potentially cause a steering wheel shake. I have never felt a steering wheel shake like that before.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
I'm not super sure the passenger side bolster really did that much for the squeaks I had/ still have, but I have a really good feeling that re-installing the driver side bolster will help with your steering wheel shake. Especially since mine did the EXACT same up/ down shake. I was boggled by it for some time after replacing EVERY part that would potentially cause a steering wheel shake. I have never felt a steering wheel shake like that before.
I'll start with only the drivers side. I don't have a map pocket so if I happen upon a passenger side bolster I'd throw it in to see if there is a difference. But I'm ready for this steering wheel shake to be over, it is the vertical shake exactly like you describe. I've also never seen anything like it. I checked above the kick panel and there's nothing loose that could remedy it

But also your t5m looks like quite the build. Did you have a local exhaust shop make your exhaust? I need to find a shop to fix some exhaust leaks I have lol

·
Registered
15,898 Posts
I was about to say "Get a Simons" and then I realized that this is for your R lol

Still absolutely mystified by this steering wheel thing.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes, the exhaust was done by a local shop. It was installed by the previous owner so I'm not exactly sure how much he paid, nor am I positive what type of muffler was used. It's 3" all the way back instead of necking down to 2.5" like most other systems. I absolutely love the sound, though it is a bit obnoxious on long highway drives.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
I was about to say "Get a Simons" and then I realized that this is for your R lol

Still absolutely mystified by this steering wheel thing.
I wish it were that easy! The main issue is when my downpipe broke after the cat from awhile back. I just want it not rigged together anymore lol. But now that the 850R is sold I have funds to continue to make this better while perfecting the t5. I don't have Thermo lab today so I'm going to dig further into why my radio isn't getting signal. Going to check antenna connections

I still haven't gotten another knee bolster to replace the one I removed. The 850's in a yard I went to were drastically different, 4 bolt mounting vs 6 bolt mounting.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Yes, the exhaust was done by a local shop. It was installed by the previous owner so I'm not exactly sure how much he paid, nor am I positive what type of muffler was used. It's 3" all the way back instead of necking down to 2.5" like most other systems. I absolutely love the sound, though it is a bit obnoxious on long highway drives.
My biggest fear is drone, that's what I want to avoid most. I'd rather just get a proven good cat back and a custom downpipe that fits up to the OEM mounts. That's proving to be challenging though lol

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
Finally sourced a knee bolster (thanks bmdubya) and attempted to install it after class today, but couldn't get the left side mount bolts in behind the lower part of the dash. Will attempt when I have more time and don't have to study for exams lol At least I also finally got a rear passenger interior light! I felt defeated after not getting in the bolster so that was a nice little victory

In other fun news, the VR has developed a fuel leak. I dropped both of the fuel line covers (the one that runs the length of the car, and the one that is more of a splash guard just in front of the tank) to see that my lines are crusty as hell. I've always feared dropping the rear subframe and now I don't really have a choice.

I'm starting to build a parts list of bushings to replace while I'm in there, but one big question I have is where to source the quick connect fittings to the sending unit from? Others replace the factory metal lines with 5/16" nylon line, which I also plan on doing, but I couldn't find a source for the quick connections. Any other input as to what else should I replace when I'm in there? I'm highly considering replacing/upgrading the fuel pump and it seems like a dw300 would fit fairly well, would only need to extend the pickup length.

Besides the fuel leak this VR is getting really close to getting good. Almost time to make it start going faster! I have a new in box mototec dual exit catback for it too that I scored in a parts haul! I was shocked to find it local lol

201 - 218 of 218 Posts