SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

181 - 200 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Found the leak!

The car phone stuff that’s installed on this car seems well done and well tucked, but it’s a f***ing rats nest of audio wires that I don’t have a clue what they are lol

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
scroll down Andy had some choice words for that part too
Well that’s not good news... lol

I’ll scroll through rn an look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
The car phone stuff that’s installed on this car seems well done and well tucked, but it’s a f***ing rats nest of audio wires that I don’t have a clue what they are lol
download a wiring diagram

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
This is the latest of the progress that was made over the weekend:

Got the Climate Control Unit back in the car and mounted up, along with the cruise control diaphragm by the gas pedal, the blower motor & resistor back in, and the various modules reconnected to the main harness.

There’s a pesky zero force clip (the type with the purple pull tab) on the passenger/starboard footwell that got in the way of getting the unit back in but it went fairly well. The evap doesn’t have the same exact location of the connections as the original, but it fit with a little persuasion. Luckily there is slack build into the forward mounting bolt of the AC line.

OH, I nearly forgot. I replaced the orifice tube, and holy s*** that thing was dirty. Glad I swapped it out.

However, I did discover that I am just straight up missing the passenger side knee crash bar structure. Maybe a PO removed it for a map pocket or something but I need to source that and another HVAC routing duct from the yard.

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
I fully deleted the knee bolsters on both sides in my 850R. My understanding is they are there for dumbass Americans who don't wear seat belts. Given that wearing seat belts is required in my cars, I couldn't figure out what they would do in a crash other than put something closer to my legs that could hit me sooner than if there was nothing there at all (nor could either of the other two or three engineers I discussed this with), hence my deletion.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #188 (Edited)
Looks like you are right behind me on your dash. I finished up all that and got my dash installed last weekend.
What were you working on? It's still in pieces in the garage, waiting for the next weekend I'm home from campus.

Lol I should have just looked at your thread :facepalm:

I'm excited to hear how you like the dynamatt, I REALLY want to do that on this one to quite the road noise. I also want to refinish my bumpers like you too lol. And have you seen how Neal got extra bolstering in his VR seats in his project 850R track build? That's wicked too

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
I fully deleted the knee bolsters on both sides in my 850R. My understanding is they are there for dumbass Americans who don't wear seat belts. Given that wearing seat belts is required in my cars, I couldn't figure out what they would do in a crash other than put something closer to my legs that could hit me sooner than if there was nothing there at all (nor could either of the other two or three engineers I discussed this with), hence my deletion.
I'm hesitant to delete them, I remember people mentioning they have something to do with airbag deployment way back when map pockets were all the rage. Man, that's when I first got into whiteblocks. What a memory lol

Regardless I'm going to leave them in and reinstall the passenger side bar with a straight, un-crashed junkyard piece

·
Registered
270 Posts
What were you working on? It's still in pieces in the garage, waiting for the next weekend I'm home from campus.

I'm excited to hear how you like the dynamatt, I REALLY want to do that on this one to quite the road noise. I also want to refinish my bumpers like you too lol. And have you seen how Neal got extra bolstering in his VR seats in his project 850R track build? That's wicked too
I'll let you know on the sound deadening. I used Kilmat for the first time and it seems to be very comparable to Dynamat. The price was very good. I purchased 2 boxes but didn't even use the one box of 36sf. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0751CBXBT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
281 Posts

If I remember correctly, you only need to cover about 20% of the surface panel to get maximum affect.

Closed cell foam is really what dampens road noise. The dynamat helps with reverberation of panel.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
If I remember correctly, you only need to cover about 20% of the surface panel to get maximum affect.

Closed cell foam is really what dampens road noise. The dynamat helps with reverberation of panel.

Now that you mention that I remember seeing that in Tuner4Life's saffy thread, at least I think it was his thread. Good point regardless though

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
I'm hesitant to delete them, I remember people mentioning they have something to do with airbag deployment way back when map pockets were all the rage. Man, that's when I first got into whiteblocks. What a memory lol

Regardless I'm going to leave them in and reinstall the passenger side bar with a straight, un-crashed junkyard piece
The bolster changed in 99 because the two stage airbags got them off the hook with the DOT on those bolsters.

Go look at 97-98 x70s for sale in Europe. They ALL have the map pocket. Those knee bolsters are a US/CDN thing. This is the other reason I felt comfortable deleting them.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Now that you mention that I remember seeing that in Tuner4Life's saffy thread, at least I think it was his thread. Good point regardless though
Since it came up, I just did more reading to understand a bit more and refresh my memory.

There are 3 types of barriers that you are creating and, by itself, they do minimal sound deadening, but together provide maximum reduction.

First barrier:
CLD (constrained layer dampener) - this is your typical dynamat. Reduces panel vibration. 25% coverage is adequate

Second barrier:
MLV (mass loaded vinyl) along with ccf (closed cell foam) - this step reduces noise levels more than any other. The mlv creates a barrier for noise travel. The ccf is used as a decoupler because we don't want the mlv in direct contact with any surfaces as that will limit the noise reduction.

Third barrier:
HMF (hydrophobic melamine foam) - this is a thick, compressable, water and fire resistant foam that is used in open air places (fixed air space) to reduce noise. Headliner, quarter panels, behind trim panels, etc.

IMO I'd stick with either just step 1 or step 1&2. Step 2 looks like it's the most time consuming but if you're already taking interior apart for step 1, might as well do step 2.

I got most of the info from this site.

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products

·
Registered
293 Posts

The bolster changed in 99 because the two stage airbags got them off the hook with the DOT on those bolsters.

Go look at 97-98 x70s for sale in Europe. They ALL have the map pocket. Those knee bolsters are a US/CDN thing. This is the other reason I felt comfortable deleting them.

My time to repost my own content from 4 years ago :D

Everyone here should know what airbags are and what they do, at least in a tl;dr form.
On X70 vehicles the following components are part of the Supplemental Restraint System: Frontal airbags, front seatbelt pretensioners, frontal seatbelt buckle(s), SRS unit and for MY99+ the side airbags and side impact sensors.
The knee bolster(s) are not strictly part of what makes up the SRS.

Basically it's a legislative thing. More specifically it's a US thing, just like there were different airbag sizes for the 850 - the US fullsize airbag and the Eurobag (also called facebag) - that came from different assumptions about seatbelt usage. US: wear a setbelt or not, the airbag will protect you. EU: wear your damn seatbelt!
With the US requirement of having to protect an unbelted front seat occupant, the designers have to make sure that the airbag is both deployed and smashed into in a save fashion. This means two important things have to be adjusted: Deployment timing + sensitivity and occupant positioning.
Adjusting timing + sensitivity is easy and done in the SRS unit via software. Also one of the reasons why airbags tend to deploy in lower speed collisions compared to european versions of the same vehicle.
Occupant positioning is achieved by forcing the occupant to remain sort of upright. That's the job of the knee bolster - by smashing into it earlier there is less of a risk of a person sliding below the passenger airbag lower "edge".

See the following legislation: FMVSS 208 (https://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/#SN208)

If you and your passengers wear a seatbelt there is no benefit to having that bolster.

Also there never were any two stage airbags available for the P80 platform. What was introduced for MY1999 was two stage deployment LOGIC, determining airbag deployment based on usage of the front seatbelts. However both airbags always deploy at 100% strength, unlike on P2 platform vehicles with two stage deployment with adjusted strength percentage.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
My time to repost my own content from 4 years ago :D

Everyone here should know what airbags are and what they do, at least in a tl;dr form.
On X70 vehicles the following components are part of the Supplemental Restraint System: Frontal airbags, front seatbelt pretensioners, frontal seatbelt buckle(s), SRS unit and for MY99+ the side airbags and side impact sensors.
The knee bolster(s) are not strictly part of what makes up the SRS.

Basically it's a legislative thing. More specifically it's a US thing, just like there were different airbag sizes for the 850 - the US fullsize airbag and the Eurobag (also called facebag) - that came from different assumptions about seatbelt usage. US: wear a setbelt or not, the airbag will protect you. EU: wear your damn seatbelt!
With the US requirement of having to protect an unbelted front seat occupant, the designers have to make sure that the airbag is both deployed and smashed into in a save fashion. This means two important things have to be adjusted: Deployment timing + sensitivity and occupant positioning.
Adjusting timing + sensitivity is easy and done in the SRS unit via software. Also one of the reasons why airbags tend to deploy in lower speed collisions compared to european versions of the same vehicle.
Occupant positioning is achieved by forcing the occupant to remain sort of upright. That's the job of the knee bolster - by smashing into it earlier there is less of a risk of a person sliding below the passenger airbag lower "edge".

See the following legislation: FMVSS 208 (https://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/#SN208)

If you and your passengers wear a seatbelt there is no benefit to having that bolster.

Also there never were any two stage airbags available for the P80 platform. What was introduced for MY1999 was two stage deployment LOGIC, determining airbag deployment based on usage of the front seatbelts. However both airbags always deploy at 100% strength, unlike on P2 platform vehicles with two stage deployment with adjusted strength percentage.
Well TIL, I'll be taking a page out of Jareds book and removing them. Thanks for the link, this is like a textbook response lol

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
Well TIL, I'll be taking a page out of Jareds book and removing them. Thanks for the link, this is like a textbook response lol
Blockpartie is legit. Never know what random time he will chime in, but you know it's going to be profound when he does.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Here's my bolster bit: When I bought my V70, it had a weird steering wheel shake at highway speeds. Tires, alignment and all new suspension stuff didn't fix it.

From my my parts car, I installed the front passenger map pocket "upgrade" and deleted the passenger knee bolster. Huh, more squeaks and rattles in the dash than before. I noticed that my parts car had a bolster on the driver side too, my car never had one, I realized the PO had removed it. On a whim, I decided to re-install the driver side bolster, and guess what?! My highway steering wheel shake was gone! I promptly re-installed the passenger side bolster and never looked back. I never put anything useful in that pocket anyway. YMMV.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Got some work done on this thing last weekend, took out all the cell phone junk (which included an add-a-fuse, which I hope was the cause of my non-functioning radio) and the knee bolsters.

Got the rear end all back together and looking like a real car again! Hopefully this thing will be running again (and with AC) before the end of the summer

But I plan on going back to work on it again this weekend, with the plan of getting it all back together and running!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Do i see a moose on the left side of your license plate ?

181 - 200 of 218 Posts