SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, you all groomed me really well. I picked up another daily driver/little project to replace the old V70, and I finally get to experience the maintenance heavy awd system everyone's been telling me to avoid!! LOL

It's pretty mint for the price I scored it at, some pilling in the alcantara and some cracks in the leather but no rips or tears. and the body is AMAZINGLY clean and straight, two dings and not a spec of rust. I'll be paying more for a nice parking spot now too ;). Timing belt has been done, awd system has been serviced and is functioning, fuel pump has been replaced so there's a hole back there but they 'tastefully' cut the hole. The fuel pump is very audible in the cabin which I assume is a function of the hole. The PO swapped a '99+ dual exit exhaust and bumper which I LOVE, duals look so much more mean than a single exit.

There is some business to attend to; PCV & a rear cam seal, oil change with castrol full synthetic, ignition system overhaul, cabin & intake filters, a full brake job and maybe a heater core. Then it needs a wang, '98 roof rails, jewels + LED's, rubber floor mats, and new vacuum lines for good measure! I've been sitting on a couple pairs of 302 mm brackets so it'll be getting those, and potentially a set of stainless steel/ some coated brake rotors from a supplier in Chicago that came recommended from the seller.

I ultimately want to m58 swap this bad boy, but I am going to drive it/refine it over the course of the next year or two as-is to see how I like the awd system compared to my 850r. I'm really glad to be back in a wagon, and a p80 to boot! I've been getting incredibly intimate with the platform for teh last few years and I'm glad I stayed in the generation for the first car I legitimately see myself owning long term.

·
Registered
16,762 Posts
Looks nice. Lights and 302s are a good first upgrade. Not a bad idea to drain and fill the trans and get that interval established off the bat.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
My fuel pump is loud and it was replaced the correct way, although it’s a DW300. I’m pretty sure they’re just all loud though. I’ve been in a lot of these and you can hear the pump. I like it.

·
Registered
16,762 Posts
My fuel pump is loud and it was replaced the correct way, although it’s a DW300. I’m pretty sure they’re just all loud though. I’ve been in a lot of these and you can hear the pump. I like it.
Dynamat cures all

·
Registered
63,540 Posts
Miles?

You may have seen my T5 all finished but I never posted what it looked like when I bought it.
My partner at the time calls me from the auction as he knew I would want it. It had 141,000 miles on it with the straightest body you would ever see but mechanically it was very tired (to say the least).

I told him to buy it regardless. He drove it home to my house where the clutch promptly let go! :(
8 to 10 months later it was more or less finished to look like picture #3.

Look at it. At this time it was 10 years old with 140K miles. All this paint was ORIGINAL! Not even the usual Volvo door ding or three...The only paintwork I had to do was the new (used) V70R front bumper and repaint the rear bumper along with it.

If I had done this in the past 3-4 years I would probably have finished the wheels darker grey like I have with my 2007...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks nice. Lights and 302s are a good first upgrade. Not a bad idea to drain and fill the trans and get that interval established off the bat.
Good idea on the trans, what the interval supposed to be on these? If there is one.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good to hear that its not especially loud for me. I'm undecided if I like it or not, it sounds racecar-ey, but I'm used ot assuming an unknown noise is an issue I need to discover lol

Dynamat cures all
This is a good idea... driving in my dads merc has made me kind of want to make my cars quieter, but that might come in a couple years when I get older (if at all)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks great to me, did you buy it in Wisco ?
Yessir! I didn't check the VIN because it was such a quick turnaround, but I'd be curious as to where it has lived its entire life. If it has been a Wisco car since new I am astounded by its condition lol

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Miles?

You may have seen my T5 all finished but I never posted what it looked like when I bought it.
My partner at the time calls me from the auction as he knew I would want it. It had 141,000 miles on it with the straightest body you would ever see but mechanically it was very tired (to say the least).

I told him to buy it regardless. He drove it home to my house where the clutch promptly let go! :(
8 to 10 months later it was more or less finished to look like picture #3.

Look at it. At this time it was 10 years old with 140K miles. All this paint was ORIGINAL! Not even the usual Volvo door ding or three...The only paintwork I had to do was the new (used) V70R front bumper and repaint the rear bumper along with it.

If I had done this in the past 3-4 years I would probably have finished the wheels darker grey like I have with my 2007...

Miles are around 153k, it's loosing the race to the moon relative to my 850r but it'll rack up more as my daily.

I've seen the pics you posted of the t5, I want to repaint the front and rear bumpers. They're definitely the worst parts of the car, but I really haven't had a car with this nice of a body so I'll be talking with the local detailers as to how to keep it that way.

But it took you less than a year to build that t5? That's pretty impressive, I didn't realize that.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whose Saffron V70R?
The seller had an array of p80 VR’s. Including the saffy. If this car ends up being the long term daily as I‘d like to repaint it in 601 red, but that is way in the distant future

·
Registered
16,192 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your interiors are dark grey/graphite, not light grey

I was wondering this as well....
Good catch, I used the color coding for the old v70 that has the base cloth, didn't paste in the correct term.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Miles are around 153k, it's loosing the race to the moon relative to my 850r but it'll rack up more as my daily.

I've seen the pics you posted of the t5, I want to repaint the front and rear bumpers. They're definitely the worst parts of the car, but I really haven't had a car with this nice of a body so I'll be talking with the local detailers as to how to keep it that way.

But it took you less than a year to build that t5? That's pretty impressive, I didn't realize that.
Wow, Jared i never saw your T5 before, absolutely stunning. Who owns that wagon now ?

·
Registered
16,192 Posts
Wow, Jared i never saw your T5 before, absolutely stunning. Who owns that wagon now ?
Which T5? I've been connected to 4 or 5 over the years

·
Registered
16,762 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got more pictures of the wagon after it's first clean up! I plan on doing a decontamination with a fine nanoskin sponge and seal it with mequiars 21 to fight all of the winter gunk. I've never gotten into detailing this hard before, but I gotta keep this thing looking spify!

On another note, I'll be drilling/tapping and glass bead blasting an Na manifold for a 960 plate mod for the wagon. I want to keep the cast aluminum finish so I wont be painting it (and wont be paying for powdercoat or anything), does anyone have recommendations as to if I should get a flat enamel clear coat kind of spray paint to spray the manifold with? Or should I just leave it as is post-blasting.

1 - 20 of 221 Posts