SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Lost my shoe but I got it out babyyyy

The rear motor mount was corroded to the rack, gave it some heat and a couple good snacks with a mini sledge and it came right off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Upon further inspection, it looks like my new rack might have a bad seal. This is right beneath where the lines to the reservoir/pump bolt into the rack. It only appears to be seepage, but I did see bubbles coming out of this area. I’ll call/email FCP tomorrow, I doubt they’ll know specifics but I do expect to find out if I should get a replacement

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
You put your foot in it!
When I finally got it unstuck I realized that I lost my shoe in walking it across the garage. Luckily I didn’t get fluid on my sock

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Man steering racks sure are trendy right now. My neighbour is doing one, you're doing one, I'm about to do one, ordered parts today to get everything in stock to do my dad's.....

maybe I should inspect the ones I have on hand here...

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
FCP was super easy to deal with, simply sent them the picture and they’re shipping out another rack. Should get here Monday!

In other news, I am having a hell of a time getting the top nuts off of the hydraulic motor mounts in the front and back. Is there a best practice that I’m missing? Any tips?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Well I got the new rack from FCP, but they simply shipped it in the manufacturers box (which is against their return policy at least) and the shipper crunched the lines, bad. The left rack is the first one I got (with a bad seal) and the right is the second rack I got (with a good seal but bad lines).

Oh well, shiit happens. I’m still waiting on new PS lines/o rings/brackets so I can wait. So instead of dwelling on that fat L, I started taking apart the interior. I got the rear seats and the front passenger seat completely removed in preparation to swap the ‘98 R interior I have. Previously I was planning on swapping the seat skins, as someone said the wiring is very different, but it seems it might be easier than that.

I took off the seat brackets on both the 98 & 99 front passenger seats and the only wiring difference I found was what seemed to be
airbag wiring (it seems like this because of the orange wiring sheath).

Below is the 99 seat, the orange sheathed wire is the only different part when compared to the 98.

Below is the 98 seat, notice the lack of orange sheathed wire. The above 99 seat has a red sheathed wire that the 98 also has, but it’s sheathed in black. An important note is that all connections have the same amount of plugs in them, so the orange sheathed wire is totally new to 99.

I assume the orange sheathed wire is an extra airbag (??). I certainly don’t want an SRS error light (or worse, a blown airbag) when hooking the battery up, so does anyone know what that extra wire is (looking at you [mention]JaredR [/mention]LOL)? I haven’t dug into wiring diagrams before, but think I know enough that not plugging something is is a big no no to any control system lol

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Ok, did some homework in Jared’s dads NA thread.

https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/jaredrs-dads-1999-v70-n-a-m56h.316417/page-14

The orange sheathed wire is an airbag. I assume there was an added airbag between 98/99, but both cars have SIPS so maybe 99 got an extra airbag? I don’t really know but that doesn’t really matter lol

I should be able to retrofit that airbag on the 98 seat with only taking off a couple of hog rings, assuming that there are the proper threaded holes are there to mount the airbag. I’d love to do that tonight but the trash lighting makes that a project for another day

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Airbag detonation is different. -98 is standalone and not connected to the car at all. My initial inclination would be to swap onto the 99 frames but there may be more than one approach to this.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Airbag detonation is different. -98 is standalone and not connected to the car at all. My initial inclination would be to swap onto the 99 frames but there may be more than one approach to this.
That was my plan, but if I swapped the 98 seat on the 99 frame I would have that airbag plug left unplugged, if that makes sense.

That’s why I think I have to do something similar to what you did in your dads NA, swap the 99 airbag into the retrofitted (in my case 98, in your case p2) seat. Assuming there is room for the airbag on the 98 seat, I’ll have to investigate if there’s an airbag there on the 98 seat.

I agree that there are definitely multiple ways to do this, I think that swapping the airbag onto the 98 seat would be the easiest way to go while retaining the airbag

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
That was my plan, but if I swapped the 98 seat on the 99 frame I would have that airbag plug left unplugged, if that makes sense.

That’s why I think I have to do something similar to what you did in your dads NA, swap the 99 airbag into the retrofitted (in my case 98, in your case p2) seat. Assuming there is room for the airbag on the 98 seat, I’ll have to investigate if there’s an airbag there on the 98 seat.

I agree that there are definitely multiple ways to do this, I think that swapping the airbag onto the 98 seat would be the easiest way to go while retaining the airbag

What are you going to do about the trigger? -98 is mechanical and 99+ is electric. The 99+ airbag is much larger and I don't think you can just put it on a -98 seat.

99+ P80 seats are actually much more similar to -04 P2 seats than they are to -98 P80 seats.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
What are you going to do about the trigger? -98 is mechanical and 99+ is electric. The 99+ airbag is much larger and I don't think you can just put it on a -98 seat.

99+ P80 seats are actually much more similar to -04 P80 seats than they are to -98 P80 seats.

Good question, I did more homework. I could use a 2.2 Ohm resistor in place of the 99+ airbag, and utilize the mechanical firing of the -98. However, I don't love this solution as it takes away the advanced airbag of the 99+ system.

Another solution would be to simply remove the 98 seat skins and apply them to the 99 seats. Does the larger 99+ airbag affect the seat skin? Or is the increase size taken from the seat foam? This would retain the 99+ airbag and seat buckling alarm. But hog rings are intimidating LOL

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
I'd go with option 2. Don't delete safety features.

Hog rings are actually easy. Just make sure you have more than you need because you are going to miss a few times and have some zip ties on hand too because I found them to be very helpful in a couple places to temporarily hold the skin in approximate position when things were too far apart for the hog rings to grab.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I'd go with option 2. Don't delete safety features.

Hog rings are actually easy. Just make sure you have more than you need because you are going to miss a few times and have some zip ties on hand too because I found them to be very helpful in a couple places to temporarily hold the skin in approximate position when things were too far apart for the hog rings to grab.
I might have found a set of 99 VR front seats, hopefully it’ll be an even swap!

I agree, I don’t wanna compromise on safety features LOL

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
In other news, I got the THIRD rack from FCP and it YET AGAIN arrived damaged. It looks usable, but I really don’t want to risk it.

I was shipped only in the manufacturers box, so it’s not FCP’s fault, but cmon man! This is getting ridiculous

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Sorry to hear that. What the PITA. Get another replacement until GOOD one arrives.
That’s the plan! I actually called Fcp and they were really apologetic, which I expected, but they also said they don’t ship out the rack. TRW actually ships it out themselves.

So for this fourth replacement rack FCP is getting it shipped to them in Connecticut, they’ll inspect it for damage, then they’ll ship it to me. All overnight shipping too!

I’m please with this solution, it better not be damaged LOL

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Unless FCP has you ship them back, hold onto those damaged racks. They may be worth having in the future since the damage seems fixable.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I was wondering if you could make a rack from all the non-damaged parts of the the damaged ones. But if they're all bent or damaged in the same place that makes sense as well.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I was going to swap the good lines onto the second rack I got (the one with the totally trashed lines) but I wasn’t sure if introducing air pockets to the rack after the servo (?) would have been a good idea.

If I would have known it would take weeks to get a good rack I probably would have done it lol

61 - 80 of 80 Posts