SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s about time that I make a thread for my new car, a couple of you already know about it but I am happy to announce I have finally found one of my dream cars! The 1999 V70 T5m in beautiful 601 red.

I am the proud third owner of it, bought from a guy with 6 kids in Iowa who took less than stellar care of it and drove it like he stole it. But the Iowa guy bought it from the original owner in New Hampshire, who allegedly took amazing care of it. It’s in fine mechanical shape, it shifts better than what I remember my NA v70 shifted like, runs smoothly, but definitely has its fair share of issues. It’ll get the full mechanical gambit though:

- PCV & updated banjo bolt
- Cabin & engine air filters
- Engine & transmission oil change
- Ignition coils are not the same brand, they seem to work fine. I’m unsure if getting 5 new ones is worth it? Probably lol
- Timing belt was done 10,000 ish miles ago, I’ll be inspecting to see if it was done with legit parts. If not, I’ll redo it

It has 268,000 miles on the clock, and it unfortunately shows. The clear coat is peeling on the mirror caps, door handles, hood, and the trim above the license plate on the hatch. There is also an old dent on the passenger side fender, right by the headlight.

The entire car is also just so dusty, the engine bay is especially bad.

The car will clean right up though! It has some goodies too, a block heater which I’ve never actually seen on a Volvo before, an old crusty strut bar, and a sweet skid plate. Not like the IPD skid plate, I’ve never seen this type of skid plate on a Volvo before. Fits really nice, doesn’t look sketchy at all.

Remember how the Iowa guy has 6 kids… yea… there was the equivalent to a full 20 piece McNugget meal complete with fries, a coke, and the happy meal toys underneath and in front of the rear seats. But wait there’s more! Between the passenger seat and the center console I found nudie polaroid’s! Not the good kind either… Needless to say this car is a fing mess on the inside. BUT it’s one of one! So it’s all worth it! I didn’t take pics of the inside because I was too disgusted, this is the rear area before cleaning, doesn’t show the horror of the rear seats.

The major issues are there, but not numerous. The most pressing is the rear passenger brake line is broken. FWD cars have hard lines, as I’m sure a lot of you know, instead of soft lines like AWD’s. The Iowa guy dropped the caliper when doing a brake job and broke the hard line, hopefully the connection isn’t corroded at the junction on the delta link!

Next is a failed power steering system. The Iowa guy said that the rack was leaking, but upon inspection it appears that the ****ty ’99 PS reservoir failed and puked fluid everywhere. I’ll be replacing that with a 05+ reservoir either from my local junkyard or from Scottish.

Finally, the ABS unit needs a rebuild. Unfortunately, 99 is different that 98-, so the 6 other 98- ABS modules I’ve collected won’t work. Simple fix though, just uninstall and send to Midwest ABS for a resoldering.

Besides those main issues it’s a matter of slowly but surely getting this wagon back to its former awesome glory! My plan is basically a copy of Jared & Will’s nautic restoration formula, might deviate because I don’t wanna mess with a k24, but that’s long term. Short term it’ll be the same stage 0 plan.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
Thats the OEM volvo undertray protection grating. Cool!.

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
subscribed!

That skid plate is the genuine Volvo one. Also the Nautic is still rocking its original 16T lol. I would not be surprised it stays with a TD04 ultimately.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Sweet find ! I hope its just your resevior leaking and not the rack. Order a oil filler gasket while your at it. Red on Graphite, great color combo, i'll be following your progress

·
Registered
5,268 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats the OEM volvo undertray protection grating. Cool!.
subscribed!

That skid plate is the genuine Volvo one. Also the Nautic is still rocking its original 16T lol. I would not be surprised it stays with a TD04 ultimately.
Nice! I just found the parts diagram for it, makes me wonder why IPD didn't use this design instead of what they offer. :confused:

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet find ! I hope its just your reservoir leaking and not the rack. Order a oil filler gasket while your at it. Red on Graphite, great color combo, i'll be following your progress
I agree! inner tie rod boots appeared to be dry at first glance, so that's promising. Oil filler gasket is definitely getting ordered too.

The interior is the classic base t5 interior, people on FB are thinking it's rare. Even if it is I don't like it at all! I'd ideally like to replace it with P80 VR seats, but might get something OEM+ esc custom made at a local upholsterer.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Triple-N was the happy poster!
Nice find! I messaged Jared about this red one before nnn posted it, I wonder if he purposefully kept quiet LOL

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice buy! That is a very cool undertray - better airflow!!
Thanks! My days of constantly hunting classified are over now, I've ascended LOL

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
273 Posts
Rear seats had a lot of car parts on them but they looked good. Front passenger no rips, but driver seat showed signs of wear and front packet on the seat was ripped. I did not pay close attention as I was not on the market for them.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Rear seats had a lot of car parts on them but they looked good. Front passenger no rips, but driver seat showed signs of wear and front packet on the seat was ripped. I did not pay close attention as I was not on the market for them.
+1. Rear and passenger were fine. A little dirty, but would clean up with minimal effort. Driver's seat would have been a chore to bring back. However, car was smoked in, FYI. I have photos on my phone that I could upload if it's really important to you. I was thinking about it afterwards and realized I should've grabbed the back seat to use to retrofit heating elements in the future. I have the booster seats in mine now and they are not compatible.

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
Oh yeah dump those booster seats. Someone will want them

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Great find; congrats. I’ll be following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
15,952 Posts
Nice find! I messaged Jared about this red one before nnn posted it, I wonder if he purposefully kept quiet LOL
Also that would be a yes lol....that was liable to blow up in a hurry had I taken the bait.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts