SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SimpleTire has asked for my ZLines back so they can inspect them. The Road Force balancing shows significant road force imbalance remaining. They have that info. They are late 2016, early 2017 manufacture dates. So, need to dismount and swap over the snow tires.

·
Registered
17,406 Posts
Who’s paying for shipping? How many miles did you get on them? Your wheels are so pretty. I’d find a set of winters since you have no large caliper clearance issue, and they’ll be plentiful at good prices.
SimpleTire has asked for my ZLines back so they can inspect them. The Road Force balancing shows significant road force imbalance remaining. They have that info. They are late 2016, early 2017 manufacture dates. So, need to dismount and swap over the snow tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who’s paying for shipping? How many miles did you get on them? Your wheels are so pretty. I’d find a set of winters since you have no large caliper clearance issue, and they’ll be plentiful at good prices.

They are paying for the shipping. Never have been able to get a smooth balance out of them. Got about 5k on them now. Manufacturing defect, most likely.

I already have snow tires/wheels. Just need to drag them out of the basement.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FedEx stopped by today to pick up the tires. But, no description of what they were picking up was provided and no one was home to point at the 4 tires sitting on the front porch. Grrrr. We'll try again Monday.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tires are all at the warehouse. Hopefully, I'll hear something soon.

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
Interesting.

My first set (and probably the first set (that were promotional) on a Volvo in North America shared similar date codes yet unlike all zLines Ive seen since then were labeled as made in Finland while later ones say made in Russia. I wonder if the initial startup production on a Russian line experienced quality control issues.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting.

My first set (and probably the first set (that were promotional) on a Volvo in North America shared similar date codes yet unlike all zLines Ive seen since then were labeled as made in Finland while later ones say made in Russia. I wonder if the initial startup production on a Russian line experienced quality control issues.
That's what I'm suspecting.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Informed SimpleTire that the tires had been at the warehouse for a week. They didn't know. Another week gone by in silence. Pinged them again this morning. Now been 3 weeks since I shipped them. Testing my patience.

·
Registered
17,406 Posts
I bet! Maybe they’ve grown too quickly or they’ve had some management changes.
Informed SimpleTire that the tires had been at the warehouse for a week. They didn't know. Another week gone by in silence. Pinged them again this morning. Now been 3 weeks since I shipped them. Testing my patience.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Finally got an answer back on the ZLines. Two were deemed defective, two okay. Which two, I don't know. The best two (least residual imbalance), were in the front and vibrated above 65 MPH. So, I can still end up with two unacceptable tires. They offered to refund me for the two tires. But, I want two new tires. So, need to call them tomorrow and deal with it.

I liked everything about them, except for the imbalance problems. At this point I don't know if I want to spend the money to mount and balance them again, versus getting something else. But, I really don't want to cough up $500+ for another set of tires.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Apparently, SimpleTire customer service doesn't read their emails. I sent them an email asking if it was possible to get 2 replacement tires instead of a refund for the 2 defective tires. But, I told them I wanted to wait until the 2 "good" tires got back to me. That way I could get those mounted and balanced and make sure they were okay. If not, I'd take the refund and get different tires.

Instead, they sent me 2 new tires today. From an OK warehouse, not the IL warehouse. In the mean time, my 2 "good" tires are still at the IL warehouse, despite the shipping labels being printed last Friday.

Sigh....

·
Registered
17,406 Posts
Doesn’t make me feel good about the three I was about to order.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The two replacement ZLines arrived Saturday. My two old tires are still MIA. I'm convinced SimpleTire outsources their email customer support to another country. I asked about the status of my old tires. They responded that they were delivered. No! So, another round of emails to explain things again. So, we'll see what happens in another day or two.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 2 original tires finally arrived today. Interestingly, they were the tires originally in the rear. Those had the most residual road force imbalance, but were deemed to be non-defective.

I'll get those 2 mounted and balanced and put up front to see what they are like.

·
Registered
855 Posts
That's crazy you are having issues. Nokian is pretty good brand. I have a set of enTyres and just love them. Made in Russia too...

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 2 replacement tires they sent me are dated 15th week of 2017. So, 2.5 years old already.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
something-something it's Putin's fault. what a bummer. I've never had to send tires back to anywhere *knock on wood*.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
something-something it's Putin's fault. what a bummer. I've never had to send tires back to anywhere *knock on wood*.
I never have either, and I've been buying tires since the early 80s.

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
The 2 replacement tires they sent me are dated 15th week of 2017. So, 2.5 years old already.
Those seem kind of old at this point. Is there a standard that tire sellers try to stick to, like within 12 months of manufacture?

·
Registered
17,689 Posts
Those seem kind of old at this point. Is there a standard that tire sellers try to stick to, like within 12 months of manufacture?
3 years

1 - 20 of 36 Posts