SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a deposit on an S80 V8 and have about a week before delivery. The tires on the car now are noisy and close to replacement. I am considering these three tires based on research so far, but open to strong opinions on other alternatives. I am on a fairly short time line to make a decision.

My priorities are:
All-seasons capability.
Safety.
Low noise.
Good longevity.
Good handling.

What has been your experience with any of these tires, on an S80, in terms of these characteristics and priorities?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I have a 07 V8 with 18" rims. First set were the OEM Pirellis. Replced them with Bridgestone RE960's, great tire on dry and wet conditions including snow. When those wore out I replaced them with the RE970's. The 970's replaced the 960's. They have been great tires when time comes to change them I will probably go with them again unless something better comes up. I have the 760's on my MINI Cooper S and they are also good, I think the 970's are better though. Costco has great pricing on the RE9780's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE970AS+Pole+Position&partnum=44WR8RE970PPXL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Volvo&autoYear=2007&autoModel=S80 V8&autoModClar=

·
Registered
718 Posts
before I knew better I replaced 2 of the pirellis with new ones. I then got two DWS, and am way more impressed with them. can not wait until the two pirellis get used up for two more DWS. they handle well, are quieter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have gotten 30k miles out of the Bridgestone Pole Position RE970 tires with only 1 tire blown (due to wife hitting curb and denting wheel & blowing out tire) Get them rotated every 10K miles @ Firestone Dealer where I bought them and got Lifetime Balance. There were expensive but cheaper then Tire Rack prices ! I did get the insurance on each tire..it did save me $200 in replacement cost when wifey screwed up. They are fantastic in Rain and much better then the Michelin- ANYTHING. They are Quiet compared to any Michelin. Don't drive them in much snow wife & I both have 4 wheel drives. If I were going to use as Snow vehicle would have another set of Tires ready for SNOW use probably they High End Continentals.. Recently I heard that Costco now has Bridgestone version of Pole position , they have all 3 versions.. if I were you I would get the RE970 ones and not even chance it with a V8 with cheap tires.BTW Costco has a Sale on right now...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts