SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting new rubber all around here soon and I'm thinking about going with Continental extremecontact dws. What tires are you all running and do you have any suggestions or any favorite tires you prefer?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Those are suppose to be pretty good. I have Goodyear F1, have gone more than double the miles than the POS Pirellis that came with the car and they keep going... The best tire I have ever had in the rain. Hope that helps. And they look really cool.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have used Goodyear F1s on a previous car
Last car (M3) I had Hankook Ventus V12 and really loved them! I'll likely go back to V12s for the next ones.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The Pirellis barely made it to 15K with 3 month of winter tires each year and not very good in the rain. Goodyears have gone 32K. But I think they are not availible any more?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I currently have the DSW's on the car now. I love them in the rain and snow, they perform well all around. I will definitely be putting these on the XC90. I want to try a summer set next time. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
Judging by your location rain and snow are likely a non issue. The V12's mentioned above are good. Star Specs are pretty damn good tires as well, a favorite in the NSX community. They can handle more than most cars can even push them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the DWS s and I love them, wearing very well

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If looking for all season, the DWS is a very good choice. They are quiet and wear well. I have 45K on mine and time to replace.

Another very good choice is the Mich Pilot Exaltos AS. They handle better than the DWS but a little noisier.
Stan

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'm currently running Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Best tires I've ever had. For the price they better be! Hell, I've never spent that much on tires :p
Nice and gripy, on dry or wet, very stable in corners, very quiet, and wear is well rated though too soon for me to tell. They are only summer tires though and it hurts bad when you get a flat and you have to replace it. I know ($$). Positive that can turn into a negative: When I got a flat on one of the rear (mind you 225x18) I literally did not feel a thing. I only noticed it once parked. It held amazingly. The bad is that it killed the tire since I did not notice it right away and drove for 8 miles with it with part on the highway.

Still have a set of all season Dunlop SP Sport Signature. I would not recommend it. A bit disappointing in terms of initial wet and dry grip, as well as noise. Other than that they handled well in much weather. Not as sporty as I would have wanted them to be.

Run Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D during the winter. Those were fantastic the first year. Not as much the second. I guess winter tire optimum effectiveness has a short life.

:D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I love the Nitto Motivo's I am running, a lot better than the Eagle Gt's that I had before. The Eagle's were great in dry situations but thats where it ended. I would squeal tire if it misted outside and have no traction.... I am still @ 9/32nd w/ the nitto's after running them for 12k miles, seems like a good tire. The snow is coming though so we will see.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Dunlop SP Sportmaxx. Great in dry and wet conditions. Had them under my mercedes E430 and now on my volvo. The only thing that you must consider is
because of the profile they make a bit more noise then the continental sportcontact.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I previously used Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s (235/40/R18) and was really happy with them. Grippy on both dry and wet conditions:

Currently I'm using Nitto Invos (235/35/R19) and can't be happier. These tires are very grippy, but also very quiet and give a supple ride considering the very low profile tires:

...Plus the thread on these Nitto Invos look like art. Very cool. :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
My sig. Like them a lot.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Summer set up: Hankook V12 and I like them a lot

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
i'm also running the V12's (225 / 35 / 19) and like them alot.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Pirelli PZero (235/40 R18), very good tires.

Planning to switch to Michelin Pilot Super Sport (245/40 R18).

·
Registered
9,121 Posts
The Michelins are nice, but stupid expensive to cheaper alternatives of similar quality.

The thing I dislike about the DWS is the lack of sidewall protection which is standard with most lower profile tires. Not sure what they were thinkin when they designed those.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
The Michelins are nice, but stupid expensive to cheaper alternatives of similar quality.

The thing I dislike about the DWS is the lack of sidewall protection which is standard with most lower profile tires. Not sure what they were thinkin when they designed those.
These links may help to judge what is "similar" quality. :)

Tirerack 2011 test http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=148

Tirerack 2012 test http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=162

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought a set on DWSs back in late July to replace the OEMs in the hope that wet and snow traction will be better (yes I know winter tires are best but would like to avoid that discussion). I have noticed recently that I get some different noise from them when going around turns a bit aggressively...is that because of the sidewalls or is it because the tires are less grippy than the OEMs?

Most of my driving is commuting so I don't push lateral handling much, but it does seem I can't push the DWSs as much as I could the Michelins. Sometimes it's about compromise I guess.

Edit: I have been having real problems with vibration in these tires...had them balanced several times and AFAIK the alignment is fine and the dealer insists there are no issues with the rims or the suspension. :thumbdown: on these so far...

Update 12/12: After being balanced several times and having two road force balances done the highway speed vibration is down to a tolerable level. Not as smooth as the OEM Michelins. Hoping it won't get worse again over time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts