SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that track season is starting, people are going to the track and people are commenting etc.. By track I mean road circuit, not a drag strip as the skill-set is somewhat different...

So I am curious who has what training and/or experience.

Pick your "highest" level of experience from the choices below.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Re: YouR Driving Experience (JimLill)

I just did a track event with my MINI Cooper S at Sebring a few weeks ago, and now I really want to get the R out there as well. There is a NASA HDPE event at Homestead at the end of this month and I'm thinking about taking the R down there. I've had the R on the track at Sebring last year, and it did quite well. The brakes seemed to hold up fine, as I didn't get to dive into them too much with all the traffic.

For you guys that have quite a bit of track experience in the R (Jim L), would you at the very least change the brake fluid and switch to SS lines? Or do you find the stock brakes adequate?

I'll also probably get a bigger sway bar and some springs later on, but I wanted to know what others have found to be helpful.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: YouR Driving Experience (Grendel)

Changes required depend upon the track I'd say. On a shorter track, the brakes should be OK as-is. On a track where you have to brake say from 100+ to 50 mph several times a lap, you might want to at least change fluid. As your skills progress, you'll want more brake and then get better pads... do SS lines too. If you get really going, you'll switch to something like PFC97 pads, then for sure you'll need better fluid and probably Ti Shims to keep from baking the caliper dust boots.

·
Registered
924 Posts

Thanks Jim -

Sebring has a pretty nice straight (Ulmann straight) where the R can get up to above 130 if the entry turn is nailed perfectly - the problem I had when I was there with the R is that there was very limited passing, and most of the people in front of me didn't go deep with the brakes at the end of that straight.

I've never driven Homestead, but there is a similar straight with similar speeds and I'll be in HDPE 1 with an instructor.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I suppose people might want to describe what they've done in a little more detail.

For myself:

- 6 days of Trackmasters Novice Level School (HPDE), now an intermediate
- Skip Barber Combo Intro
- Skip Barber 3-Day Racing School

So with that I now hold a SCCA regional license and will start racing this season. The SB 3-day is a painless albeit pricey way to an SCCA license.

So altogether about 1000 miles of track time.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote, originally posted by Grendel »
and most of the people in front of me didn't go deep with the brakes at the end of that straight.

That is pretty common.... most people, myself included, have to work at getting used to overcoming that.........

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »
I have been to some formal training but need to do it again as now I can actual shift the manual with confidence. The R was my First manual.

Which school did you do, and which you gonna try?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Re: (JimLill)

I did the Phil Wicks MINI Driving Academy two weeks ago at Sebring. It was really more of a driving improvement school more than a track school, but we had 2 hours of track time with passing on the straights. There were four 30 minute track sessions, and I had an instructor for one and three were solo. That is the only formal school I've attended, but it got me hooked, as I now want to attend more schools to get more track time. I've got the heel-toe method down pat in the MINI, but the R seems to be very shoe dependent. I can do it very well in the R with a pair of Nike Free running shoes, but for some reason my Puma driving shoes don't allow me to reach the throttle with my heel very well. I've also noticed that R's seem to have a pretty big variance in pedal height, especially the clutch. Mine is about 2" higher than the brake pedal.

I've had the R on the full track at Sebring twice, for touring laps which were much faster than they were supposed to be due to a very accommodating audi pace car

The track time also made me look quite a bit differently at people who drive too fast off the track, as it is pretty easy to find a track in many areas to go fast much more safely.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Grendel)

I've got the heel-toe method down pat in the MINI, but the R seems to be very shoe dependent. I can do it very well in the R with a pair of Nike Free running shoes, but for some reason my Puma driving shoes don't allow me to reach the throttle with my heel very well. I've also noticed that R's seem to have a pretty big variance in pedal height, especially the clutch. Mine is about 2" higher than the brake pedal.

The critical pedal height is the brake at absolute full threshold braking.... it should be no lower than the Gas......... a few of us have spaced the brake pedal up when we added various style pedals...

·
Registered
6,037 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »

Which school did you do, and which you gonna try?

there is a porsche driving school that I am going tol go to for a "bussiness trip"... kind of a think tank for sales execs.

Been to a couple NASA courses up in Va. some autocross events at Road atlanta with instructed driving and Roebling rd. in savannah with some instucted driving.

Seems like everytime I go I learn how much I really do not know, lol. There is also a go Kart place in Charlotte that is supposed to be pretty good for learning fundementals that I am wanting to check out.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »
there is a porsche driving school that I am going tol go to for a "bussiness trip"... kind of a think tank for sales execs.

Been to a couple NASA courses up in Va. some autocross events at Road atlanta with instructed driving and Roebling rd. in savannah with some instucted driving.

That's great you did that. Those HPDE schools are a good start...... What I liked about S-B was that there were some active Pro racers doing the instructing.......

·
Registered
779 Posts

Jim, I chose less formal track time.

All my experience has been on the Nurburgring. Driven 25+ laps and been a passenger in another 15-20. At over 13 miles per lap and more than 70 turns, that's a lot for an amatuer.

I'm moving to San Antonio, Texas in a couple of months. Can I get any track time or training near there?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

I just did a track event with my MINI Cooper S at Sebring a few weeks ago, and now I really want to get the R out there as well. There is a NASA HDPE event at Homestead at the end of this month and I'm thinking about taking the R down there. I've had the R on the track at Sebring last year, and it did quite well. The brakes seemed to hold up fine, as I didn't get to dive into them too much with all the traffic.

For you guys that have quite a bit of track experience in the R (Jim L), would you at the very least change the brake fluid and switch to SS lines? Or do you find the stock brakes adequate?

I'll also probably get a bigger sway bar and some springs later on, but I wanted to know what others have found to be helpful.
If you decide to go to Homestead, my friend is an instructor there and probably can get around that track as fast as anyone alive, let me know and I'll hook you up
with him

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

I've done some Advanced training courses out at Palmdale in the mid 94's when I was offered a job at Honda testing new vehicles at their test facilites near Leardo. I've also had a few classes with Richard Petty School of driving in Florida. I worked for Disney for 13 years and took the classes anytime I got out to Disneyworld. The classes were at a reduced price for me, and some were free since it was on Disney's property.

Nurburgring scared me pretty bad on my first lap with Spedemon. Keeping up wiith Kelly at the beginning was easy...until that wet spot in the track. I'll have to post the video of Spedemon throwing the camera into his lap and hearing all the skidding as I tried to keep the car from going into the wall. Of course the DTSC was off, but the R' had some of the worst handling capibilties at the track. It took an hour to stop shaking and about another 4 laps to get comfortable with the car again.

I've redone the suspension and started taking some courses thru the http://www.speedventures.com course's. The car now handles well for the exception of the tires and now I feel real comfortable tracking it. It's truley been a re-education process.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Re: YouR Driving Experience (KillerB)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
If you decide to go to Homestead, my friend is an instructor there and probably can get around that track as fast as anyone alive, let me know and I'll hook you up
with him

Thanks JRL - I'm still working it out with the wife to see if I can get away for a day that weekend - I should know by early this week and I'll let you know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've done some autocrossing in my rwd volvo, trying to hit every points event this season. I don't win but I have a blast. The lag, weight and really expensive tires keep me from taking the R out there - just doesn't seem like it would be as fun.

I've been to a lot of races at VIR and road atlanta but I've never driven on them. I've heard really good things about the Phil Wick's schools, I'm thinking of taking the R there in September.

I'm always down for a charlotte R GTG at victory lane. It's about $15 for 10 laps - huge for an indoor track. It's like doing an intense autocross course - lots of chaining events together but no long fast setups.

Jim - are you going to race the R in a stock class? Really interested in the process.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (sberry)

Quote, originally posted by sberry »
Jim - are you going to race the R in a stock class? Really interested in the process.

No... there is no class that the R fits into for road racing (that I am aware of).... I have a VW GTi for SCCA ITB.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »
No... there is no class that the R fits into for road racing (that I am aware of).... I have a VW GTi for SCCA ITB.

That applies for Club stuff... major surgery would fit it into WC-GT Pro

Quote, originally posted by Helmut Ranff »
I think the most modern classed car is a 97 850 GLT according the rulebook.

That sounds like SCCA IT rules. IT is aimed at grassroots racing. Cars must be out of production, or something like that. No turbos or superchargers.

See http://www.scca.org/_FileLibra...g.pdf

I suppose that it could go into Touring Class (T1,T2, T3) if someone wanted to take the effort to get it homologated.

See http://www.scca.org/_FileLibrary/File/Touring.pdf

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.