SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (US) released a report on pedestrian crash prevention systems and the 2019 S60 was one of the 6 top-rated vehicles in the test. They tested 16 total vehicles and rated them Superior, Advanced, Basic, and No Credit (basically useless, more or less).

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/pe...an-crash-prevention-varies-among-midsize-cars

Volvo lives up to its reputation for safety in this one. Good choice, kids.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
There is safe then there is Volvo safe.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
What's impressive to me is how good the system on the Nissan Maxima is, props to them!

As a whole the S60 earns absolutely flawless ratings in every single test the IIHS performs *except* the headlights, which earn only marginal ratings. IMO this is because the headlights are designed for the active high-beam feature which is still illegal in the USA and are thus hamstrung because brightness and throw is limited without it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hmm I know it’s inconsequential but the S60 didn’t get a top safety pick + bc of the headlights and the child seat anchors.

A4 / C-class/3 series are all top safety pick +. (Which again really doesn’t mean much in terms of crash worthiness) They are all incredibly safe cars. Wouldn’t expect anything less in this class.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Jeez, the standard LED lights have worse illumination distance wise than the previous HID Xenons. I thought this was in my head but now confirmed by real life data. Serious question , what’s the benefit in switching to LED ?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
what’s the benefit in switching to LED ?
Independently aimable/dimmable zones, lower power, better packaging. This allows the full active-highbeam feature which will aim the highbeam around cars in front of you so the high beam stays everywhere else, but doesn't blind the other drivers. It's not legal in the USA though so it's disabled here though it's enabled in Europe.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I may be sick in the head but the Fusion destroying the dummy was hilarious.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Has anyone been able to get confirmation that the Volvo Matrix LED system is, like Audi, just a matter of a software upgrade once these are approved? The information that's included in the Advanced Package description on the build and price site area of the website specifically references the matrix system, there's a video demonstration included as well.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Has anyone been able to get confirmation that the Volvo Matrix LED system is, like Audi, just a matter of a software upgrade once these are approved? The information that's included in the Advanced Package description on the build and price site area of the website specifically references the matrix system, there's a video demonstration included as well.
Volvo has never given an "official" confirmation, some people once claimed on here the european ones have flaps that open and close in the headlight but that's absolutely incorrect, the system works by aiming the beams and turning off zones, as is shown in the video on the build page.

I firmly believe it'll just be a software update for those with the advanced package. If it's not, then there will absolutely be a class-action against Volvo for misleading advertising. As you said, they put it in the advanced package description here with no fine print to be found. That said, it probably will still be years before it's legalized in the USA and even then the system may still be neutered.

Also it's not a "Matrix" system, that's Audi's system, a bit different. Volvo's terminology is active bending lights/active highbeam, which, of course is still misleading because they call it the same in the USA as europe even though it's not enabled...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts