SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I believe the temperature at the car is the external temperature.
At least for my MY16 XC90, the VOC temp is the outside air temperature where the car is located based on the nearest reported temperature for my area.

This can be confirmed by looking at your weather app on your phone.

Example
- My car is in a heated garage at 50°F.
-The nearest city’s weather OAT is reported as 30°F.
-The OAT at my home is 29°F.

VOC shows 30°F.

Having VOC poll and the car report OAT from the vehicle’s temp sensor or the interior cabin temp may risk an undesirable battery discharge.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I don't see ANY temperature, just the two lines :
- -
Those are exactly what I see, not digits.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I don't see ANY temperature, just the two lines :
- -
Those are exactly what I see, not digits.
Did you allow your smartphone to share its location with the VOC app? If location is not enabled for VOC, I could understand why “- -“ (no data) appears.

Not sure if you have an iOS or Android smartphone. Here is the iPhone UI that you might check:

A fine MY16 XC90 T8

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I am pretty sure location sharing is on, but I am not at all sure why the car needs to know where I am to tell me how hot or cold it is at the car :confused:

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I am pretty sure location sharing is on, but I am not at all sure why the car needs to know where I am to tell me how hot or cold it is at the car :confused:
Please re-read the first sentence of my reply in my post #21.

VOC must know the location of your car in order for VOC to provide the temperature for where your vehicle is located.

If you have location turned on (e.g., when using app or always), then you are golden. If you have never or once, then that is likely both the issue and the solution.

A fine MY16 XC90 T8

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have location turned on. I still don't get why that would matter, if my car is in Miami and I am in Anchorage, why does it need to know where I am to tell me how hot the car is in Miami :confused:

·
Registered
65 Posts
At least for my MY16 XC90, the VOC temp is the outside air temperature where the car is located based on the nearest reported temperature for my area.
Hmmm. Unless I hadn't had enough coffee when I checked this morning, for my 2020 V60 CC, the temperature listed in VOC appears to be the actual external temperature at the car.

When I checked, the garage (where the car was), showed 52 degrees on the garage wall thermometer while VOC said it was 51. Outside, it was 37 - according to my indoor outdoor thermometer and my phone's weather app showed the local temperature at 39. Either it's the coffee thing, or things might have changed in the past few years.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Hmmm. Unless I hadn't had enough coffee when I checked this morning, for my 2020 V60 CC, the temperature listed in VOC appears to be the actual external temperature at the car.

When I checked, the garage (where the car was), showed 52 degrees on the garage wall thermometer while VOC said it was 51. Outside, it was 37 - according to my indoor outdoor thermometer and my phone's weather app showed the local temperature at 39. Either it's the coffee thing, or things might have changed in the past few years.
Good to know. That is why I was specific to my model and year. Things could have certainly changed with newer models and model years.

A fine MY16 XC90 T8

21 - 29 of 29 Posts