SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys are wasting $$ paing $200+ per tire.

Most of those expensive tires you folks are paying as much as $250 a pop do you no good unless you're going to do the top-speed run such as 155mph+..... and trust me 90% of us don't drive that fast....

expensive tire are made PRIMARILY for top speed ratings.

the grip and overall performance for Michelins, P-Zeros, or Dunlop is simply not making sense. I've read the speed ratings, treadwear, wet/dry, etc, etc....and trust me, they are all the same for the size of tire we're using. The fact is no one really makes cheap tire for dimension as 235/40/18 or such....

maybe take-and-give on some (I mean marginal) comfort and road noise, otherwise I DON'T SEE MUCH DIFFERENCE.

I've tried Kumho, and I'm using NEXEN.. they perform the same as Russo, a little more noise, but no drifts and even better grib.....

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Re: You guys are wasting $$ paing $200+ per tire. (stevectsai)

intangibles -- personal preference, and peace of mind...brand recognition associated with top-quality, etc...

·
Registered
400 Posts

Quote, originally posted by stevectsai »
but no drifts and even better grib.....

Well, as long as they have better grib . . .

·
Registered
6,888 Posts

maybe take-and-give on some (I mean marginal) comfort and road noise, otherwise I DON'T SEE MUCH DIFFERENCE.

Trust me, there's a BIG difference between the stock tires that came with the car with any other tire out there. With my S60R, changing the tires alone eliminated just about 95% of the side hop.

People spend money however which way they want. If you don't have to spend $200+/tire, good for you. Calling people out is a little...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: You guys are wasting $$ paing $200+ per tire. (mike_c70)

Quote, originally posted by mike_c70 »

Trust me, there's a BIG difference between the stock tires that came with the car with any other tire out there. With my S60R, changing the tires alone eliminated just about 95% of the side hop.

i think people with different model year cars with different 4c revisions will see different results when it comes to tires.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: You guys are wasting $$ paing $200+ per tire. (sk11vengeance)

Quote, originally posted by sk11vengeance »
i think people with different model year cars with different 4c revisions will see different results when it comes to tires.

Well, I had an 04 and now have an 05. Both of them hopped like crazy. Swapped out tires, 95% gone. The OEM tires just plain suck (or shall we say, do not match with the characteristics of the 4C system).

·
Registered
339 Posts

Well, I had an 04 and now have an 05. Both of them hopped like crazy. Swapped out tires, 95% gone. The OEM tires just plain suck (or shall we say, do not match with the characteristics of the 4C system).

what 4c revision do you have? the older the stiffer itle be ive heard.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Re: You guys are wasting $$ paing $200+ per tire. (sk11vengeance)

On my 04, it was rev1 or 2, didn't help. Rev's didn't do anything. Tires did the trick.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

On my 04, it was rev1 or 2, didn't help. Rev's didn't do anything. Tires did the trick.

Mike what tires made the big difference for you with the hop?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: You guys are wasting $$ paing $200+ per tire. (kenschel)

Replaced the Pz's with Sumitomo's (of all things!) Put 245/17/45's on and love them. The fronts rub now with the wider tread, but not much.

I don't drive the wagon that hard, wanted something quiet, somewhat long lasting, good in rain. The Sumi's fit the bill to a 'T' Got the HTR+, looks nice, and the side hop is absolutely gone.

The Pirellis had a 97Y sidewall, these have a 95w. Don't know if the softer sidewall is the difference, but I tried all the things that made it hop in the past, and the hop is gone!! I'm really surprised I like these tires as much as I do, but they do what i want them to.

I finally feel like the car is under my control, no more scary suspension anomalies.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote, originally posted by kenschel »

Worn make all the difference. I didn't believe the it till I changed them.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts

Quote, originally posted by kenschel »

Any other tire other than the stock ones. I had NITTO 555 and now I'm currently running Toyo Proxes 4 (awesome tire btw).

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

i'm running the NT555's right now as well. I like 'em.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Re: You guys are wasting $$ paing $200+ per tire. (Cicada)

Also running NT555's. A little noisy at 35-40 mph but strangely goes away at any other speed.

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts

Holy Mackerel, there are many reasons for choosing tires of all different
costs and everyone has their reasons all different than you say and some have preference for safety and reliability of the tire

AAA/ Cornering

BBB/ Stopping power

CCC/ Rain traction

DDD/ Rolling resistance (fuel mileage)

EEE/ Resistance to puncture, blowout

Expensive Michelins are really good at DDD and EEE

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
why do people buy a car like the R; whicj is far from a budget or inexpensive car... then when it comes to maintinence, mods etc. shop soley on what is the cheapest route to take. Folks, be it tires, wheels, turbos, octane rating.... whatever, we have discussed all of these and more on here. If you have to shop ONLY based on what will be less money [short term] then it WILL break and cost MORE long term and chances are you will enjoy it LESS than if you got what the R really needed.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

Most of those expensive tires you folks are paying as much as $250 a pop do you no good unless you're going to do the top-speed run such as 155mph+..... and trust me 90% of us don't drive that fast....

I thought you "destroy" M3's at that track with the commuter lane (rest of us still looking for it). That would negate your argument already.

I've tried Kumho, and I'm using NEXEN.. they perform the same as Russo, a little more noise, but no drifts and even better grib.....

And the Rosso was a wonderful choice to begin with?

By saying that the Kumho and Nexen perform the same, you're actually justifying most of the arguments for higher priced tires OTHER THAN PZero.

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »
why do people buy a car like the R; whicj is far from a budget or inexpensive car... then when it comes to maintinence, mods etc. shop soley on what is the cheapest route to take. Folks, be it tires, wheels, turbos, octane rating.... whatever, we have discussed all of these and more on here. If you have to shop ONLY based on what will be less money [short term] then it WILL break and cost MORE long term and chances are you will enjoy it LESS than if you got what the R really needed.

Amen. I hope Stevectsai is running regular 87 octane, not using synthetic oil....and following the 7500 service schedule.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: (R_Rated)

Quote, originally posted by R_Rated »

True maybe if you are comparing the most expensive tire out there to the cheapest, but I don't think the $50-$70/tire difference between a Goodyear Eagle F1 and the new Yokohama Advans can be justified.

BTW, is anyone running Advans on their R?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts