SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 20K miles, I'm getting within a few months of replacing the original Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires. Tire Rack shows the Yoko Advan ST is available in the 18" size. In the specs, it looks better than the Michelins:<p><b>Advantages of Yoko vs. Michelin</b><br>Treadwear 320 vs. 300<br>Traction AA vs. A<br>Speed W vs. V<br>Max load 2179 vs 1874<br>Max inflation 50psi vs 35psi<br>Price US$155 vs. US$183<p><B>Disadvantages</B><br>714 vs 723 revs/mile, thus the speed would read 1.3% lower than reality<br>34lbs each vs. 30lbs. Eight pounds heavier for a pair, 16 heavier for a set of four<p>The Yokos are labeled "Street/Sport Truck Summer;" the Michelins are "Grand Touring All-Season." Since I live on the central coast of California, I don't need winter tires.<p>Reviews at tirerack.com rave for the Yokos and hate the OEM Michelins.<p>So who here has any experience or opinion about the Yokohamas?<br>

·
Registered
415 Posts
Re: Yokohama Advan S.T. 18" Tires? (Rick_Auricchio)

While I can't speak specifically to this tire, I'm a huge Yokohama fan. We have their summer performance tires on 2 of our four vehicles; (Subie has Yoko ES100 & dedicated snows, TR8 has Yoko AVS Intermediates & doesn't play in the snow). <p>I had not done my research on the Advan yet, we only have 14k on the pilots right now, but it all looks good, except the weight. That's about a 12% difference, a fair bit in the performance world. Hmmmmmm, it's never easy is it?<p>Jack

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Yokohama Advan S.T. 18" Tires? (jib)

Yeah, the extra weight is a negative, but then I routinely have stuff in the car. About 10lbs of computer tools, cables, and stuff, another 4lbs if you add up the water bottles, and perhaps 2lbs of CDs, maps, etc.<p>The cost saving on four Yokos vs. the Michelins is about two tankfuls of gas at US$3/gallon.<p>The speedo error of 1.3% is about 1mph at 75mph. So, if I'm keeping the cruise-control set exactly at, say, 65mph, I would really be doing closer to 66mph. Hardly an issue there. But for the 7500-mile service interval, I would be servicing at 7402 actual miles.<p>And I wonder at what pressure and load the revs/mile figure is measured? I'll bet a couple PSI of pressure would change that quite a bit!

·
Registered
498 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Rick_Auricchio</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, the extra weight is a negative, but then I routinely have stuff in the car. About 10lbs of computer tools, cables, and stuff, another 4lbs if you add up the water bottles, and perhaps 2lbs of CDs, maps, etc.<p>The cost saving on four Yokos vs. the Michelins is about two tankfuls of gas at US$3/gallon.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>The weight of stuff in the car is different from the weight of the wheels. The weight of the wheel becomes the rotational weight and would need to be multiplied by a factor between 4-7 for comparison with the weight of stuff in the car. So the 4 lb/wheel = 16 lbs total, is more like 80 lbs of stuff in your car.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Yokohama Advan S.T. 18" Tires? (AccuView)

Ah. I can see rotational weight as having lots of inertia, therefore making it more difficult (taking more energy) to start and stop. Essentially we're talking about a flywheel effect, right?

·
Registered
415 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Rick_Auricchio</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ah. I can see rotational weight as having lots of inertia, therefore making it more difficult (taking more energy) to start and stop. Essentially we're talking about a flywheel effect, right?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yes, a flywheel you are constantly speeding up and slowing down. It's a lot worse than weight in the car. Tires are especially bad, as the weight is way out, away from the centerline, where it takes even more work. Then again, it's only 4 pounds per tire on a 4,500 pound vehicle.<p>Jack

·
Registered
172 Posts

I replaced my original Michelin Synchrone's @25,000 miles about 8 months ago with the Yokohama Geolander H/T-S G052's. So far the Yokohama's have done really well both in the summer and in the snow. I don't know about the Advan S.T. 18" <p>

·
Registered
29 Posts

Rick, I replaced my Michelins with the yokohama S.T. before I got my 20's and I loved them. They were WAY better than the michelins in terms of vehicle responsiveness, and their look is more aggresive. It fits the XC90 much better than the michelins which are simply car tires on an SUV.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Yokohama Advan S.T. 18" Tires? (Kubna)

Are the Yokos unidirectional? They look to be.<p>We just rotated my Michelins crosswise (swapping sides), because the right-front wear was pretty heavy on the outside of the tire.<p>This wear pattern is fairly common for FWD/AWD vehicles that make many sharp maneuvering turns, like U-turns. My driveway/garage configuration requires a 90-degree left turn to enter the garage, then a 90+ left to exit the driveway after backing out. The tire guys suggested this could be the wear cause.<p>Front-end alignment/geometry typically goes bad during sharp low-speed turns, but usually these are not as common as in my case.<p>So, if the Yokohamas are unidirectional tires, that would preclude side-swapping rotation.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Like them alot. Very sporty looking, responsive and agressive tire with consideration for rain/wet weather. Pretty much fit the bill for florida. They also don't look like we removed them from a station wagon. Little louder than I would have expected but then so is my music.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts