SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I replaced my worn out OEM tires (got 51K with them) with Continental ExtremeContact DWSs a few months ago. Had to go back to the installer (local independent shop) once for obvious vibration in the rears which seemed OK for a short time...but I'm still getting a slight vibration at around 70 MPH, kind of like going over a rougher road surface. The steering wheel isn't shaking so I'm assuming the rears are still slightly out of balance, but unfortunately it's been difficult to clearly duplicate for the independent shop. :(

What other things would/could cause a minor vibration issue? Should I forget about bothering the tire installer and find a place to do a "road force balance"? I also had the alignment checked/adjusted (just was slightly out of spec on toe IIRC) and I do know I have some rotor runout issues which I plan on bringing up with the dealer on the next service (Safe and Sound plan to 60K miles so brake work is still on Volvo).

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
You might have some bushings that have worn which could allow some suspension play which would give vibrations. I am at 93K, and just had new tires put on as well. I'm experiencing vibration under load, so I'm hoping/thinking maybe it's the infamous upper engine mount that needs replacing. That's easy and cheap enough. Once you get into suspension, you start shelling out more $$ quickly!

Anyway, just my $.02. Hopefully others give suggestions.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took it to the dealer, they found tires out of balance and did a rebalance. Results were better but not quite there yet. Took it back to the dealer and road tested with one of the senior techs...he could not find any non-tire related issues (vibration comes and goes and changes as the tires warm up). Suggested that I take it to a local Town Fair Tire to get a road force balance (they don't have the equipment). Hate to have to spend the additional $$ but I'd like to get back the smooth highway ride I've become used to.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Yes , a number of Tires seem to be More & More - susceptible to flat spot when parked , does take a while to round them out . 2-3 miles sometimes , cold .

Tire made in Brazil - during the same week are much better , then Ties from Mexico , and other countries all throw on the Rack together .

Go back to the Original and Inform them Your unsatisfied - with - Ride ask to be swapped to other type of Tires , most Tire manufactures
will allow 60 day Customer Satisfaction . lol

Good Luck !

As Mentioned in past about Rubber Formals changing and poorer quality to due Tire Manufacture - trying their Best to Whip Tires out the Door - like
Jiffy Foam from a Spray can .

I'd be all over it as You only have so long them : Bam - Your Screwed !

Put the Suspected Tires on the Front where You'll be more able to monitor changes , Road Force is the Best Balancing - @ - Dunn Tire uses that type of Equipment .
Sometimes that isn't good enough . A Lousy Tire Belt is a Lousy Tire It's where the Belts Meet ( Start & Stop ) or they Damaged It from Improper Install .

It does take 300-600 miles to Cure in Tires , but I Rotate them right after that on a New Set - just to make sure the Rears are - OK .

Alignment If off enough can and will cause hopping .

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you took it to Discount Tires or dealers....the techs are notorious for center balancing your wheels and tires....they should balance outside and inside especially if you are using Continentals...,I've had 2 sets of those and personally I think they suck for durability...20 thousand miles? Give me a break...anyway, it's likely your wheel (s) are bent or warped to begin with and these new tires are causing the vibrations to be worse....This is based in my own experience with trying to determine the cause of my car's vibrations....,

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I have a mount coming , I'll report on any differences - I - find . looks like it is a OK , but the Engine is down on the passenger side just a little , maybe
1 degree - which isn't much . Are all the Volvo - that are reporting Vibs @ Speed 58-65 MPH M66 or 68-74 MPH Auto / Lowered ?

Also , at the particular speed this Happens - Change Gears But Keep Speed the Same - take - Note does it also Speed Up ?

·
Registered
837 Posts
im not lowered and have vibration.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I'm officially :thumbdown: on the ExtremeContact DWSs...

I've taken them to a local Town Fair Tire for a road force balance. The Town Fair Tire folks did what they could but said that these tires are not easy to balance right and are just not a good fit for the S40's aggressive alignment...not sure what to believe but after having the balance done I still have the slight vibration at 65 MPH and over.

At this point I'm not sure I have any option other than to live with the vibration and hope that it will get better as the tread wears. I'm not too crazy about the idea of replacing tires after only a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
have you tried getting an alignment?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
OK , Sept. / It's now Nov - Not Fixed ? Sounds like as You Drive them - these Tires are getting worst , and pretty soon it will to late , as some places once past 60 days Your
Past - Customer Satisfaction Time - then they can start charging You for everything they do .

Road Force Balance still Best !

Did You put Rear Tires on Front to Load them Up to -- See Issue Better ?

Have the Original Shop show You , when these were made , where they were made , and are all 4 tires from the same Country .

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Also , some of Our Vehicles have been Noted by Volvo to what is Termed to be - Hub Walking .
There is a service kit out to take care of this - It can cause a Vibration . ( Not sure on Details )

Ask Your Volvo Dealer .

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, so I took the tires to a local Town Fair Tire place to get a Road Force balance and they tried remounting the tires to get the vibration out...but their basic comment was that the tires were not suitable for the car (which I'm guessing is BS because there are others who have put these on S40s). Got the car back from them and it was worse. Had to take the car back to the dealer to deal with a CEL and asked them to look at it again...they found a tire out of balance (thanks Town Fair Tire for screwing that up, not going back there again) but then the dealer said one of the tires had an "excessive lateral hop". They put that tire in the rear and the recommendation was to replace that tire if it is still bothersome - which it is sometimes.

I've put a few thousand miles on the tires...aside from not getting a complete swap for free are there any tread wear issues at this point that would make one say not to bother replacing the one tire?

FTR I've never had this kind of problem with a set of tires before, not sure if it's because I haven't had a set of high-performance tires installed on previous cars or not.

·
Registered
837 Posts
your tires should have at least a 50k warranty, It seems you may have gotten a bad one. Go back and get is replaced. I had a few bad tires in my days, it happens.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
You only have 60 days to do a NON- Satisfied Tire Return and get another set .

I went to a shop where the Guys sell certain Mags , I couldn't even get them to call the local Rep, they laughed .
What Local Rep , I asked when their Mag Rep came by - is He for the entire State of NY - these Tire Company's don't give a
Rats A$$ or do the Custom Rim folks . ( There is just way to much Disconnect ) and 1 Size Fits all - BS going On .

Tire Quality has taken a Hit and so has Service . Your XYZ Tire shops have Crap for Equipment as You attested to .

I believe an Import meant to run on the Autobahn - should NOT have any Vibration Issues Period .
That Lateral Movement is most likely Your Rim - a Tire Guy can Tweak a Rim _ If things aren't Handled Properly .

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
As Far as Axles Go - I feeling there is a Better solution - and this Guy has the very Means to do It for Us .

http://www.cvaxles.com/rebuild_and_return.htm

Write them as they do big stuff for the Subie guys , why Not Volvo - well only If He get some Request for a Better ( CV Joint - Tri-Pod ) Unit .
It might just be a Custom Length Involved for the lowered Cars , It may be a Better Design , Better Balancing - this many Axles with less then 80,000 miles
Equals - BS .

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had one of the rear tires replaced...seemed OK for one day and the vibration came back the next. Could this be an alignment issue and if so which of the numbers would be out of whack? Here's what I have for numbers after the alignment was done back in August:
  • Front Left: -0.6 deg Camber, 2.9 deg Caster, 0.12 deg Toe
  • Front Right: -0.6 deg Camber, 2.9 deg Caster, 0.15 deg Toe
  • Rear Left: -2.0 deg Camber, 0.15 deg Toe
  • Rear Right: -1.2 deg Camber, 0.15 deg Toe

·
Registered
658 Posts
Looks like your Rear Right side. Both rears should be around 2.0-2.3 I believe.

High Performance tires will certain exploit any suspension issues you have because they work your suspension precisely as the tires need it--as they give much more feedback from the ground they are rolling on. Buying a typical "touring" tire or all-season tire, you probably won't notice your car being picky because it just glides over the pavement (i.e., not sticking to it...).

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Hammered On Vids : during morning Warm Up's these Conti's do seem to take awhile to get Round after sitting - I'd far as 10 + miles . But I have Tire Dealers - say same - BS

AHaaaa - Is the Tire Round , then it's made to go on a Round Wheel , and It's made to go How Fast - Rated : LOL Tell them to get a Good Man on the Machine that
Knows what He's doing . I have seen 3 different Tech's give 3 Different Answers , 1 shop had to do there Machine Calibration Over - BUSTED - It was Out !
Is Your Car Lowered ?

Also as You Mentioned Excessive Lateral Hop is usually a Bad Belt or Bent Rim , and the Tires Guys - If in a Hurry can bend a Rim .

Please Describe Vibration in Full Detail, Speed, Clutch in or Our in Neutral or Coasting etc.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hammered On Vids : during morning Warm Up's these Conti's do seem to take awhile to get Round after sitting - I'd far as 10 + miles . But I have Tire Dealers - say same - BS

AHaaaa - Is the Tire Round , then it's made to go on a Round Wheel , and It's made to go How Fast - Rated : LOL Tell them to get a Good Man on the Machine that
Knows what He's doing . I have seen 3 different Tech's give 3 Different Answers , 1 shop had to do there Machine Calibration Over - BUSTED - It was Out !
Is Your Car Lowered ?
Nope, completely stock...I'm a not so young person who just enjoys driving my S40, and while upgrades would be nice there are a lot of other things in life I need to spend my $$ on. Replacing tires after a few months is NOT one of them.

BTW the alignment numbers are within spec according to the report I have.

Going back to the tire installers' shop tomorrow to see what they can do. I DO want resolution of this.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts