SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yet another SRS Airbag Urgent thread ... Sigh. (Might be legitimate?)

I installed an amplifier and a subwoofer. I did not unplug anything in the dash or under the seats. There was no indicator light this morning.

Three things I did do:

1. I unthreaded one of the bolts connected to the positive terminal on the battery, one of the two on the T shaped splitter. The existing cable could have become temporarily detached.

2. I used one of the passenger side seat bolts to ground the amplifier after grinding off all the paint to ensure a good contact. This bolt has a direct path to the frame.

3. Moved the passenger seat back and forth to max forward and rear positions, and moved an amp around under the seat.

So, I am wondering ... what caused it this time and, more importantly, it is just an inconvenience, right? Nothing is actual snafu?

(Anyone with a VIDA in the Dallas area?)

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
2 things: To my understanding, when the airbag lights are on in a car, the airbags will not function. Now depending on your definition of snafu, well, this could be one, at least until you get the light reset.

Other thing, I doubt that disconnecting the battery caused the issue, as I completely removed mine while doing the install, and I have not heard of people getting the SRS light everytime they change their battery.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am (hopefully) going to hook up with a fellow SwedeSpeed member with a VIDA tomorrow afternoon to get the code reset.

If it wasn't disconnecting the positive battery terminal, then it must be related to the amplifier ground under the passenger seat?

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Did you slide the seat all the way back? I think that is sometimes cause for this issue, but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did you slide the seat all the way back? I think that is sometimes cause for this issue, but I may be wrong.
Definitely. Back and forth. All the way up and all the way back. Multiple times. My amp is under there, so I was moving the seat to gain access to it, move it around, etc.

I definitely could have wiggled/disturbed the wires and/or connectors while moving the seat and the amp. Why is this system so temperamental?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just want to give a shout out to SS member bimmerd00d (don't mind the sacrilegious name)! I'm meeting up with him at lunch tomorrow to get this code cleared out using his VIDA.

I feared that it was an issue with using the passenger seat bolt to ground the amplifier. Let us all hope that once it is cleared, it doesn't pop right back up!

So you think that simply moving the seat to its maximum fore and aft positions and disturbing the peace under the passenger seat is enough to throw an SRS code?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: The message no longer says "SRS Airbag Urgent Service," it says "Pass. Airbag Off Urgent Service," or something to that effect.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Maybe you accidentally temporarily ungrounded the srs air bag in the seat when you loosened that grounding bolt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe you accidentally temporarily ungrounded the srs air bag in the seat when you loosened that grounding bolt.
I don't know if it functions as a grounding bolt for other devices, it is a bolt that retains the passenger seat track that goes directly to frame. I am just using it to ground the amplifier. I wonder if that is causing the issue. Doesn't seem like it should.

According to my research, that second message can be caused by everything that caused the first generic SRS Airbag warning light; but can also be caused by other things. The Occupant Weight Sensor uses an air bladder to weigh the passenger to determine if the airbag should be on or off. That can mess up. Some people had to flash their firmware and pay $1300 ...

I didn't see or feel any loose connections or kinked wires under the seat, so I am hoping that something was jarred loose and it threw a code. We will see tomorrow after the reset.

Anyone else with knowledge?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
The Occupant Weight Sensor uses an air bladder to weigh the passenger to determine if the airbag should be on or off. That can mess up. Some people had to flash their firmware.
This^^^ Hopefully Kyle will chime in with some first hand experience in this area. There is a tech bulletin on this issue although the issue is quite rare. I'm confident the ground is not a factor at all. Moving the seat can indeed set the SRS light at times. It's extremely sensitive to even the shortest/tiniest loss of signal. Try pulling the connector & cleaning before you get the code reset to hopefully prevent it's re-occurrence. PM your email & I'll sent the TBs to you.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Actually, the OWS is not an air bladder, it's filled with a silicone fluid or something similar. But the OWS won't always cause this type of message.

More likely is that you disconnected something from the SRS system while the battery was connected. The SRS is made up of EXPLOSIVE DEVICES, so it's, um, a bit safety-conscious. Once it senses a fault, it requires a reset. Unfortunately, you need a dealer to do this, or someone with SRS equipment (and credentials).

I'd go straight there and tell them exactly what was disturbed. Probably it's all fine and just needs the reset. But because they need to sign off, they may insist on checking the whole system thoroughly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I took y'alls advice and cleaned the harness under the seat and tightened everything up. I also ensured that the OWS cabling was not pinched anywhere.

I met up with bimmerd00d; he has a very nice S60R. After we figured out how to use the DICE, we found a load of codes associated with disconnecting the battery. They were not critical enough to trigger any specific warning lamps, though. Just event recordings. Then we checked out the SRS system. BOOM. SRS faults. We cleared all the faults. We re-calibrated the OWS while we were at it, just in case.

Then, we let the car idle for a while, revved it a bit, started and stopped it a couple of times ... No more SRS Codes. No codes at all, in fact! Bingo.

(Note: The code flip-flopped from "SRS Airbag Service Urgent" to "Pass. Airbag Off Service Urgent" twice! The latter message is usually associated with a big blow to the wallet. In this case, however, it was still a simple glitch, probably associated with the OWS sensor cable getting knocked around.)

(Big Note: Everyone says that when the "SRS Airbag Service Urgent" or other SRS-related codes are thrown, the airbag system is disabled. This is false. According to VIDA, the airbag function will still attempt to engage if there is an accident.)

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Busy day, sorry didn't have a chance to chime in. Sounds like u handled the codes, now hopefully a reoccurring fault isn't present and will return.

I'd imagine it had to do with playing around under the seat. I don't recommend anyone putting anything under the passenger seat due to the frequency of damaged SRS components which are stupid expensive.

Like Tom mentioned, the OWS is a gel. It is important to verify that the hose isn't kinked though as well as all the wiring is untouched and not pinched.

Good call on the calibration. Should be done more routinely anyway, figure the seats are going to wear over time in which the sensor is calibrated to its positioning of the cushion.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
(Big Note: Everyone says that when the "SRS Airbag Service Urgent" or other SRS-related codes are thrown, the airbag system is disabled. This is false. According to VIDA, the airbag function will still attempt to engage if there is an accident.)
Don't say "false". It might not be "true" in every single case, but when the warning is displayed, you have an indication that the SRS system is not fully operational. You need to take it seriously - for your own sake, if not your passengers'.

Glad you had the low-cost option to clear the SRS reset. But if it comes back, please, please see the dealer. It could save your life.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Busy day, sorry didn't have a chance to chime in. Sounds like u handled the codes, now hopefully a reoccurring fault isn't present and will return.

I'd imagine it had to do with playing around under the seat. I don't recommend anyone putting anything under the passenger seat due to the frequency of damaged SRS components which are stupid expensive.

Like Tom mentioned, the OWS is a gel. It is important to verify that the hose isn't kinked though as well as all the wiring is untouched and not pinched.

Good call on the calibration. Should be done more routinely anyway, figure the seats are going to wear over time in which the sensor is calibrated to its positioning of the cushion.
If it was a reoccurring fault, or a legitimate lack of communication between components or wiring short, I read that the code would instantly reappear? The system has been cycled at least 5 times since then and the car driven 50 miles or so. No codes yet. I think I'm just going to leave everything alone for the time being - the wiring, the amplifier, everything - and hope that there are no more SRS codes thrown.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't say "false". It might not be "true" in every single case, but when the warning is displayed, you have an indication that the SRS system is not fully operational. You need to take it seriously - for your own sake, if not your passengers'.

Glad you had the low-cost option to clear the SRS reset. But if it comes back, please, please see the dealer. It could save your life.
You're right, never say never. I was specifically referring to SRS issues that directly resulted from unplugging and reconnecting a coupling somewhere, etc. As long as you didn't damage the actual connector during the process, your airbag system should be fully operational and the code is simply an artifact left in the system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts