SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I'm desperate for some options. This car rides like garbage with the elevate springs, mainly because of the rear shocks. I realize shocks are tuned and designed differently for different cars, based on weight, suspension geometry, etc. But could there be any improvement by finding a shock that is shorter than stock, equaling the difference in spring height? Is it even possible to search for a shock by size? I'm pretty sure this is a ridiculous idea, but for reasons I don't understand yet.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Shocks are made for springs height and load, if you have lowering springs with stock shocks the shock will wear out because they are not matched.plenty of reecources,takes some digging,I am looking for a set of stock rears so if you don't have a million miles on them I may buy them..

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That much I do understand, which was a big concern of mine prior to lowering. But I made the decision and I really like the way it looks. So, hence my question about finding a rear shock designed for another car that would be a better fit.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I always wondered if there was any Mazda or ford parts that'll fit our AWDs.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think those Koni's are for the AWD though. But if they make Koni's for the FWD, could one use the Koni's for the front of the FWD on the rear of the AWD, and it would respond better than the stock shocks? I thought I read somewhere the fronts could line up with the AWD rears.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I'm desperate for some options. This car rides like garbage with the elevate springs, mainly because of the rear shocks. I realize shocks are tuned and designed differently for different cars, based on weight, suspension geometry, etc. But could there be any improvement by finding a shock that is shorter than stock, equaling the difference in spring height? Is it even possible to search for a shock by size? I'm pretty sure this is a ridiculous idea, but for reasons I don't understand yet.
You are on the right track. The problem is getting the ear of someone at Koni or Bilstein. Bilstein actually used to supply a set of shocks for the Elevate AWD springs but they have been discontinued. I find it very hard to believe they resized the shock body & rod just for Elevate. There has got to be a stock application somewhere that uses those dimensions.
Try Truechoice. They know everything there is about Koni & probably have access to the sizing information we don't. Supply them the dimensions of the stock shock & cross your fingers.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll call them right now if someone has the dimensions of the stock rear shocks on the AWD platform.

But wasn't there something about the front strut from the FWD fitting on the back of the AWD?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Talking with the guy at Koni Racing, he said they don't have a way to search by dimension, but they could do a custom shock absorber. Estimated to be $300-$400 per shock, which is pricey but honestly not out of the question to get this thing to drive nicely again.

Also finding this, on Koni's website
http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cfm?mt_id=1&my_year=2006&mak_id=46&mod_id=341&submit=Search

I know I can't be the first person to find this, so what's the deal? It says they're for AWD, but are they not?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I've considered the coilover route, but they seem to be pretty finicky on adjustment to get a ride that isn't hard as a rock and bouncy. Plus I don't know much about them, or who these companies are who are manufacturing them. I'd much rather just find a rear shock that would work.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Talking with the guy at Koni Racing, he said they don't have a way to search by dimension, but they could do a custom shock absorber. Estimated to be $300-$400 per shock, which is pricey but honestly not out of the question to get this thing to drive nicely again.

Also finding this, on Koni's website
http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cfm?mt_id=1&my_year=2006&mak_id=46&mod_id=341&submit=Search

I know I can't be the first person to find this, so what's the deal? It says they're for AWD, but are they not?
Volvo 05-07 S40/V50 excl. AWD, Four C & self-leveling susp. - Sport (Yellow)
Excl. = Excluding

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Damn abbreviations.

That's a pretty handy chart. If only I knew what the hell I was doing. I don't know what else to look for other than extended length. For example I see the KYB 343013 is about four inches less than our stock shock's extended length. But I'm willing to bet there are many other things I would need to consider to know if it would mount up.

Oh, I can try to look up the PN for the KYB replacement stock shock and compare the rest.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Appears neither KYB or Monroe makes a stock replacement rear shock. So what else from that chart would be extremely important to know if it could be mounted to our cars?

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Appears neither KYB or Monroe makes a stock replacement rear shock. So what else from that chart would be extremely important to know if it could be mounted to our cars?
That we know. ;)
Take the specs for the stock FWD shock & then look for something shorter while retaining the same mounting ends. I'd be way into this IF I had an AWD. Extended length is pretty close, body is considerably shorter.

Here's the FWD spec from TG:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
you can order rear shocks made for awd from KW. They would probably be roughly the same price as the custom koni's your talking about.
Man, this has been frustrating me for 2 years now... and some for longer i'd guess. Yes, coilovers are an option, an expensive one, and like you said before murcc, either bouncy or not much better than lowered springs w/ stock shocks. I keep following new things about new options and seeing whose now making awd coilovers but i always end up giving up.
So maybe, i think your starting to understand that its not the elevate springs fault, its the mismatched rear shocks that cant handle it.
here another thread in case you hadnt seen it: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?234369-BC-coilovers-for-s40-awd&p=2596233#post2596233
long story short- apparently there are PB coilovers that maybe are made for awd but im not 100% sure.
I think as p1's continue to get cheaper, more options may become available. They are cheap enough for younger people who want to slam their cars and maybe somebody will make a new shock for the rear but im still debating whether having coilovers would be better so i could raise it up 1/2 an inch for winter-- although thats probably much easier said than done-- ive already destroyed my outer bushing in the rear LCA and still havent even found a way to replace the rear LCA's because of that stupid eccentric bolt that wont come out because of the rear differential being in the way. I dont even understand how you could service them without cutting bolts off and installing them backwards.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts