SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I bought my 06 V70R more than two years ago, this one thing bugs me.

For some reason the car has some sort of crazy programming that stops you from spinning tires under normal conditions. My 04 M66 would spin all 4 tires with out issue, and the there were several times I did just that spun all 4 tires in the gravel ect.

In this new 06 V70R GT, it will not spin the tires in gavel at all not even a tiny amount. I have a gravel/dirt driveway so every once in a while I will test it, and even with a full on power brake launch it will not spin the tires at all.

DSTC on, reduced, off it does not matter.

Now I have spun the tires in full out snow/sand dunes/super rainy conditions and the car is already rolling or moving.

It's almost as if the car has some sort of torque limiting/protection programmed into the factory computer. Is it an Auto trans thing, or just something all of the Newer R's with the updated version of Haldex AWD?

The reason it bugs me is if this car really does have a nanny like this programmed into the factory computer, it's going to work against me as I try to mod the car more and more.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I'd say it's instant traction (preprimed haldex pump) with 1/15 a wheel revolution of wheelspin vs 1/4 a wheel revolution of wheelspin before power is sent back. Maybe better DTSC programming as well.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Are you sure you were spinning the back tires on your 04? Perhaps its haldex has died and now that it works you are finding out how hard it is to spin your wheels on anything but the slickest of surfaces. With DTSC reduced or off you should be able to spin wheels under the right conditions. To turn off completely, cycle through the on/off sequentially several times, its five I think . . .

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes even with DTSC completely off, not a hint of wheel spin from a stop in the gravel, once I'm rolling some it seems to allow some wheel spin. It's almost as if the car is programmed to try to stop wheel spin from a stop to keep they drivetrain safer.

I had a lot of AWD cars, and even my 200 hp AWD stock Auto Eagle Talon would spin all four tires in the gravel.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
If dstc is off, and you can actually lose grip, then they will spin. If not, then you have grip.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Yes even with DTSC completely off, not a hint of wheel spin from a stop in the gravel, once I'm rolling some it seems to allow some wheel spin. It's almost as if the car is programmed to try to stop wheel spin from a stop to keep they drivetrain safer.

I had a lot of AWD cars, and even my 200 hp AWD stock Auto Eagle Talon would spin all four tires in the gravel.
hey don't feel bad, at 400 awhp with it off in rain it is almoust impossible in my 06...lolol

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I can get the rear tires to spin on my moms 06 xc70 no problem on loose gravel, nothing crazy though

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
It's almost impossible to get my R sideways, even in the rain. I can do it in the snow no problem, but the AWD works pretty well. lol

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
It's almost impossible to get my R sideways, even in the rain. I can do it in the snow no problem, but the AWD works pretty well. lol
Tell me about it... Last Saturday with R_Model and ScottishBrick I tried accelerating out of curves in the wet with leaves on the ground. In 2 hours the TC light only flashed twice.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I seems like from a roll, say 5-20 mph it will let me spin the tires. A while back I took a trip down to southern Utah and Sand Hollow park where everyone took trailers except for me and we parked right on the red sandy beach, and had to drive back and fourth through some sand dunes. Through the course of the weekend I must have come and gone 10 times and each time I got on it to keep the wheels spinning in the sand, and my speed up enough to not get stuck.

But if I stop on gravel and try to launch the car in the sand/gravel or even open it up from a dead stop nothing happens, no wheel spin (not an inch) and I swear the car is fighting me.

The tires I have on right now are a worn down set of snow tires I'm going to get rid of soon and buy new ones, so it's not like I have super sticky tires on the car either.

The other day I was parked on the gravel at the junk yard and when I tried to leave I tried to launch the car because the speed limit is 55 on that road and people typically do 60 mph, so I tried to pull into traffic as quickly as possible and like nothing for 3-5 second, then once the car is moving some it eases up on letting the tires spin.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
You have it on the speed to spin the tires. At the Airstrip races I can leave and about 20 to 30 MPH when the turbo kicks in the tires will beak loose. This is always a surprise to the starters at these events.

In the long progress of chasing down a Haldex tune to make the drive train work better when the new motor goes in. The problem so far is only certain Haldex units can be programmed. I think I have found the right one and will have my current one cloned to it. Then hope it's possible. I also know a company in Portland is working on it also. The main development is in Sweden, as there is just not a lot of interest in the R's as the price and owners age goes down.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I have a 04 that can squeak the tires on clean pavement and tear up anything less, then again there is a chance I have more torque to work with than you do, lol.

With upgraded sways its also not hard to get the oversteer you need to throw the R sideways, but with stock understeer its much more difficult.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You have it on the speed to spin the tires. At the Airstrip races I can leave and about 20 to 30 MPH when the turbo kicks in the tires will beak loose. This is always a surprise to the starters at these events.

In the long progress of chasing down a Haldex tune to make the drive train work better when the new motor goes in. The problem so far is only certain Haldex units can be programmed. I think I have found the right one and will have my current one cloned to it. Then hope it's possible. I also know a company in Portland is working on it also. The main development is in Sweden, as there is just not a lot of interest in the R's as the price and owners age goes down.

See, this is the same thing I was thinking. There is something in way the car is tuned to prevent wheel spin from a stop. Ron and I have pretty similar cars atleast specs whisk from Volvo. Both automatic 06 V70R's. I mean our cars are drive by wire so it would be super easy to from the factory.

I know GM has been putting things in their stock software to prevent burnouts, to save damage to the diff and if you want to do a good burn out at the track you have have the car tuned to get rid of that.

Makes me really miss the days of owning turbo DSM's and the only form of torque management for the autos was a simple wire coming to the ECU that told the engine to retard timing on shifts. Really easy to put a switch on that wire to turn that function on/off. No traction traction control to speak off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
?? I can get my back end to step out with DTSC off in the rain exiting a roundabout. Hrm. Stock tune.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
This gent had no problem

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This gent had no problem

But I want more like this:

Not really, but I do wish to turn all the bs off when I press the DTSC button 5 times in a row.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Haha a part of that video made me laugh. His buddy says "You're right next to the curb". That's excellent advice but do you really there was a chance in hell that the driver could hear him?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bringing this back up, I have also noticed that the E brake trick does nothing on this car.

In my 04 M66, I could pull the E brake and do a 5 hour long FWD burn out (no I do not do 5 hour burn outs) if I wanted to.

But in this 06 GT, nothing happens. Not an inch of fwd wheel spin. The car is just like "what ever, I do what I want."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts