SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Why are the previous threads outdated? I'd say they're still accurate, no game changers have come to the market any time recent, at least from my recollection. Stoptechs are fine. I went with Hawk high performance street pads.

instagram: @oliepyle

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I've been using centric rotors and akebono pad. I've been very pleased with the combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
270 Posts
I got stock rotors and Hawk pads. I have to say I liked the modulation of the stock pads better than the Hawks. It felt like there was more bite at the end of the stroke. But that was on worn equipment. When my pads go I’ll be goin back to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
269 Posts
Getting ready to do brakes because last winter was frightening with how whatever pads were installed by whoever serviced it for the PO will do absolutely nothing when it is cold aind raining. Reminded me of the nightmare of when I had ceramic pads on my Nissan many years ago, when it was 35F and raining you could stand with both feet on the brake pedal and nothing would happen for what felt like minutes (but was really about 5 seconds, which is FOREVER when you need the brakes)

Cold/wet grip is more important to me than dust. You can clean dust.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Stock rotors and Akebono pads here when I did all 4 points last time. Works fine.
Same here. I installed Akebono pads when replacing the original factory pads and have been very pleased with them. I chose the Akebonos based on forum discussions related to low dusting and good performance and I have not been disappointed with them.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
+1 for akebono pads, Brembo rotors with the FCPeuro lifetime replacement baby.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I replaced w Power Stop EBR895XPR Front Evolution Drilled and Slotted Rotor Pair in July $166 w stock pads. So far so good and looks nice.

View attachment 55423

·
Registered
861 Posts
Centric Premium Rotors with Akebono Pads

·
Registered
671 Posts
Brembo blanks are pretty much the same as the OE Volvo rotors. Zimmerman are not bad, either. Centric are okay and they're cheap. Raybestos are cheap and not good- they wear funny, most likely the run-out is poor, but I don't have the gauges to check that.

As for pads, you can't really do much better than OE Volvo pads for quiet, not prone to fading and performs well. They dust like crazy, but they are very good otherwise.

Stoptechs are noisy- I didn't like them- they were quiet at first and then they got squeaky. Akebono euro ceramic were the absolute worst- I replaced them with 50% wear because they were so bad.

Hawk HPS are good for good performance and not too noisy. It's a big pad and pretty easy to get squeaky, so you really have to be careful in pad selection. I've tried at least 8 different compounds so far:
OE Volvo
Hawk HPS
Axxis Deluxe
Textar OE equivalent
Akebono Euro Ceramic
Stoptech Sport
Bosch Quietcast
Centric C-Tek metallic

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I love Akebonos and put them on all my cars. Maybe a dry climate reduces squeaking because I've never had a problem. I also like the zimmerman rotors with the zinc coating but I didn't find them for the R last time I looked.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Timely. I’m going to probably do FCP kit with Brembo and Volvo pads. I’m no speed demon. They’ve been good so far and I’ll likely get some Sonax to help clean the newly powder coated pegs.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Maybe a dry climate reduces squeaking because I've never had a problem.
interesting theory. I'm in a dry climate as well and don't have squeaking issues.

Timely. I’m going to probably do FCP kit with Brembo and Volvo pads. I’m no speed demon. They’ve been good so far and I’ll likely get some Sonax to help clean the newly powder coated pegs.
If you don't mind the dust, then I think this is a very good idea. The factory pads had great stopping power.

·
3,899 Posts
Running Brembo rotors, Stock pads (Better bite than akebonos and hawk hps) but mroe dust. Also running SS lines and Ti shims.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sorry to say, but this site does not have rotors for the R... they have the 286mm,305mm and 320mm rotors but not the 330mm. When entering make/model, they stop at "S60 2.5T AWD"
The ones I linked are 330mm, for the R. Search the part number as the car selection is kinda weird. You have to select S60 then it brings up the "R" option.

Part number 40353071

IPD has all Bosch quietcast on sale right now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts