SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the things I dislike the most about ALL new cars is how the headlamps after 3 years or so start getting hazy and yellow. This happened to my previous car (FX35) and had them redone every 3 months to keeped them looking half decent Since I bought my car I wanted to prevent this and after some research I found weathertech lampguard film

http://www.weathertech.com/lampgard/
I installed it this weekend and fits perfectly, it was not as dificult to installed as I thought. Anyways I have not personal experience with this product but everything I found online had positive reviews. Does anybody have personal experience with this product?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Just do your research before putting these on. Here is 1 recent review of a buyer who had a bad experience with them. Just keep in mind the headlight assembly is a costly part so be careful by putting on adhesive type items on them. Best way to keep lenses from becoming cloudy. Keep the car parked in the shade (or park it away from where the sun is shining) and keep it in a garage if you are able to. And of course keep your car clean especially when dirt/grime, road salt, etc. gets on the vehicle. I use these simple methods and never had issues with my headlights. I've got a vehicle that is almost going on 6 years and the headlights still look as clear without any hazing.

http://www.amazon.com/WeatherTech-H...50113283&sr=8-1&keywords=weathertech+lampgard

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree that this is a major issue with new headlamps. I actually think that standards should be modified such that headlamps should be required to last ~10 years before yellowing or clouding and force the manufacturers to warranty it. And/or require that the covers be easily replaceable.

Anyhow, Lamin-x is the better-known brand for this stuff, and they don't typically have problems with the adhesive sticking to the housing such as in that review, BUT people have reported that their plastic headlamps have developed stress cracks from using Lamin-x. Trading one negative for another, I suppose.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I think that the plastics have improved a lot and that hopefully Volvo is using the better quality type (if that actually exists).

The headlights on our 06 XC90 looked bad after just a few years (along with a ton of other brands although not all) and I eventually replaced. The headlights on our 11 durango still look new.

I'm all for prevention, but keep in mind, sometimes it backfires.

Only time will tell how well the new Volvo ones hold up and let's hope they do. They are the most distinct part of the car and I would hope they last a long time.

·
Registered
417 Posts
FWIW, I put Lamin-x on my wife's 07 XC90 three years ago, and have had NO problems. Headlights still look good as new.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Let it happen. When it finally gets unbearable or starts appearing, sand with three different grits, and then spray with some rustoleum glossy plastic paint. Another 10 years easy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts