SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Yeah I'm paranoid with my parking

6K views 42 replies 33 participants last post by  hoagrod 
#1 ·
So what? All my friends complain because I park farther than they'd like to walk. I can't be the only one here. I went to Walmart and this is how I parked.

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: (kmagnuss)

Quote, originally posted by kmagnuss »
I do it too. So does my wife. Could be the reason that a) neither cars have any dings and b) I'm not a fat as*.

There was an interesting study a while back on how many extra calories you could burn if you simply parked further away at stores.

I'm the same way, I don't even attempt to drive up to the building. I pull in the parking lot and simply park. I've had the R for over a year with ZERO dings. My wife parks her "new" XC90 in a parking garage, but she always parks right next to a pillar so at least one side is protected and the stall is quite a ways from the person next to her.

#7 ·
I always park far far away from everyone else. At school there is a seperate section of parking lot with a gate and I parked all the way in the back and school security locked those gates because he didnt see my car and later was bit ching about me parking there.

#8 ·
Re: (ViriiGuy)

Man I wish this was the simple solution
. I always park in the farthest spots and I still have dings. The first week that I had my car I got two dings in the same day in the same spot and I think the same car did it. A big old F250 park right next to me and I had two dents at the same height within two inch's of one another. When I came out I was walking right to that side of the car and when I came around the truck I looked at the door and saw the dents. There was a guy sitting in the passenger seat of the truck and I confronted him and asked what happened, he looked at me like I had two heads. I know that the a-hole that was driving the truck did it but couldn't prove it. I think I would have kicked in his door had there not been a person siting in the truck.

#9 ·
Re: (cmurphy2266)

Quote, originally posted by cmurphy2266 »
I do it all the time. It's a car enthusiast thing. I park in the farthest parking lot away at school.
I'm with you on this one. I park all the way at the end of the parking lot at school and theres no one around me, its great tho being assured that there's no one around to ding my car.

#10 ·
Re: (FastR)

Quote, originally posted by FastR »
Man I wish this was the simple solution
. I always park in the farthest spots and I still have dings. The first week that I had my car I got two dings in the same day in the same spot and I think the same car did it. A big old F250 park right next to me and I had two dents at the same height within two inch's of one another. When I came out I was walking right to that side of the car and when I came around the truck I looked at the door and saw the dents. There was a guy sitting in the passenger seat of the truck and I confronted him and asked what happened, he looked at me like I had two heads. I know that the a-hole that was driving the truck did it but couldn't prove it. I think I would have kicked in his door had there not been a person siting in the truck.

Wow that really sucks. The past 5 years or so, I've parked my cars far away and never had one ding. With your f250 story, that really sucks. When I was younger, something similar happened, except with a friend. Guy parked behind my friend and hit his bumper when he parked. Left a little mark on his bumper. My friend confronted the guy and the guy told my friend to "Get the fu** out of here fa*got." My friend waited until the guy left and just kneed his door
. Then we left.

#11 ·
Re: (o2k)

I'm the same way, I always park out in the boonies, I wont park under trees unless I have to, and if I have to park next to a car, I try and find the nicest looking one in hopes that if they get into their car, they will be careful not to dent or ding his or mine. However! I work night shifts at a supermarket (10pm-7am) and I park out in the boonies, by myself, and someone whith a white sedan still managed to ding my F***ing car? now who wants to figure that one out?

Buuut, now I have a very very very good dent guy, and you could never tell my cars been touched

#12 ·
Re: (Foreveradvanced)

A couple of helpful suggestions for parking if you're a freak like me (and the rest of you) and you sweat parking lots. As stated, parking far away is good. Sometimes it's not feasible. In those cases, park to the right of the car next to you on the end of a row. Odds are, if there is crap on the passenger seat of the car next to you, nobody is getting in and out on that side of the car and they won't smack your driver's door.

If you do get a dent and live in my neck of the woods IM me and I'll pass along my dent guy's info. He's usually at Sandberg NW Volvo in Lynnwood on Wednesdays.

#15 ·
Re: (m3nt0s)

Quote, originally posted by m3nt0s »
I liked the fact that you parked, then took a picture of parking far away to share with us. That's going to a LOT of effort to prove you protect your car! Fact is, I do the same thing. But then people park around me, so I start swinging golf clubs until they go away.

lol!

Actually, I forgot to mention it in the original post but I took the pic because I parked next to another volvo owner who maybe a member here.

#17 ·
Re: Yeah I'm paranoid with my parking (o2k)

I don't blame you, bro. At Walmart, I park out on the North 40 acres whenever possible. The VR is a minivan/SUV magnet in a parking lot. People could freakin care less about personal property, unless its their own.

#18 ·
Re: Yeah I'm paranoid with my parking (redalrt)

Quote, originally posted by redalrt »
People could freakin care less about personal property, unless its their own.

...And sometimes, not even then...
I feel your pain (the collective 'you', i.e., everyone in this thread)...three years, no dings...60 days, 5 of 'em...

OP: Hell, you think that's bad man? My R doesn't even go to Walmart/Target/Fill in name of major store where people who shouldn't even have licenses go, I literally bought an '89 Ranger for that task!! ...And for Home Depot trips, but hey, who's checking...

-Steve

#20 ·
Re: Yeah I'm paranoid with my parking (VolvoStew)

there aren't many parking spots where i work, so we have to park a looooong way from our building. once a month the managers pick one lucky stiff who gets to park in a spot right next to the front door. my first thought was, "if it isn't an end spot, they can keep it."

2 weeks ago my husband caught me sharing a tender moment with my R in the parking lot (he works there too). he thought it was hilarious that i was inspecting the roof, the front bumper, pretty much the whole car, for imperfections right there at work. i can't help it, i am obsessed. i can't walk away without turning around.

to date i have zero door dings too, thanks to where i park in BFE.
how do you paste photos in your replies? i'm new to this forum thing!

06 S60R / Titanium Gray / Factory 18" Chrome Pegs / Bluetooth / Gobi / Too scared to mod

#21 ·
#22 ·
please allow me to rant...

man.. i was just looking at this thread. yesterday i cruised out to get lunch, and about 99% percent of the time when I park somewhere, i park waaaaay out. this time i was in a hurry and parked it in a reasonable spot, PLENTY of room on both sides of the R. i parked next to a big F250 but i thought there was plenty of room for someone to get in and out. well.. apparently not.. when i got back to the R no later than 7 minutes later.. a nice noticeable dent right in my driver side door. EXCELLENT. really noticeable on the black sapphire too.

i understand it's a "me first" world and most people only care about their own stuff, but for the life of me i can't understand how people are so careless sometimes. i've learned my lesson, and will just keep parking in the boonies no matter how much of a rush i'm in

FML

/end rant

#23 ·
Re: Yeah I'm paranoid with my parking (o2k)

Quote, originally posted by o2k »
So what? All my friends complain because I park farther than they'd like to walk. I can't be the only one here. I went to Walmart and this is how I parked.

+1 & especially when I'm at Walmart!

#24 ·
Re: Yeah I'm paranoid with my parking (bb vign)

I refuse to shop at Walmart. NEVER! I'm a Target/Costco guy.
But I'm with you on the parking thing. Obviously the 850 had the same idea.

#25 ·
Re: Yeah I'm paranoid with my parking (soledoc)

Quote, originally posted by soledoc »
I refuse to shop at Walmart. NEVER! I'm a Target/Costco guy.
But I'm with you on the parking thing. Obviously the 850 had the same idea.

Target, eh
but COSTCO... http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I'm always amazed how good (and cheap) the food and sundries are at Costco!

A new Walmart opened near me (odd choice for our higher $$ demographics) so it's doing just so so, their food is absolute CRAP (meats and veges). http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

Nice car Chris, enjoy it and sell more orthotics

#26 ·
Re: Yeah I'm paranoid with my parking (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

Nice car Chris, enjoy it and sell more orthotics

Thanks Jim...I will (enjoy it and sell more orthotics)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.