SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have experience with have had Xpel or another type of ppf put over your V90cc with unpainted cladding?

Not sure about those with black cladding but on the Ocean Race it's smooth. There's no texture, so I would think it could adhere to the cladding just as well as paint.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Anyone else have experience with have had Xpel or another type of ppf put over your V90cc with unpainted cladding?

Not sure about those with black cladding but on the Ocean Race it's smooth. There's no texture, so I would think it could adhere to the cladding just as well as paint.
When we had ours done they did not put it on the black cladding because of the texture. They said it would not stay stuck. Makes sense (to me) especially on the edge.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Does the black cladding have texture to it? The grey cladding on our Ocean Race is completely smooth.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Thanks!

Does the black cladding have texture to it? The grey cladding on our Ocean Race is completely smooth.
I stand corrected on the texture, ours is smooth, but the dealer did not want to put it on because he did not feel it would stick properly. He had no other reason to not do it - he would have made more money.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I stand corrected on the texture, ours is smooth, but the dealer did not want to put it on because he did not feel it would stick properly. He had no other reason to not do it - he would have made more money.
Thanks! Yeah, the installer is also hesitant, but Xpel themselves so far have basically told me "maybe, we're not sure". That's not exactly what they've said, but I think the take-away is to err on the side of caution and exclude the cladding. Would have been nice though to add some depth, shine, and protection to that plastic.

·
Registered
2019 S60 R Design, Fusion Red, Fully Loaded
502 Posts
My cladding is body colour painted so they did cover all of those areas with Expel. Not sure if the thinking is paint is worth protecting but the unpainted cladding is not. On my previous V60CC they did not put Expel on the cladding.

·
Registered
858 Posts
My cladding is body colour painted so they did cover all of those areas with Expel. Not sure if the thinking is paint is worth protecting but the unpainted cladding is not. On my previous V60CC they did not put Expel on the cladding.
If my installer thought it was not worth cladding he would have said so and I would say do it anyway.
He was concerned it would not stick and most likely (guessing on my part) did not want me coming back to fix something that is peeling off.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If my installer thought it was not worth cladding he would have said so and I would say do it anyway.
He was concerned it would not stick and most likely (guessing on my part) did not want me coming back to fix something that is peeling off.
I don’t think that is true, though I am not an installer. I have seen Expel placed on unpainted cladding. It appears to be an installer choice as the kits are sold and made to protect either surface.

·
3,899 Posts
Any textured surface like on the XC models, ppf won't adhere to the surface. It has to be a smooth/uniform surface otherwise, it will lift and dirt will permeate under the film.

Two main factors, uneven surface (Can't warranty because the film is not made to work with this) and the other thing are most plastic cladding has petroleum products on or in it, as it leeches out it will weaken the adhesive. I would do a small test spot before you spend the money, I do not think it would stay on more than 2 years and would be EXTREMELY prone to lifting. As an installer there is no way I would warranty that and would advise against spending your hard earned $$ on it. The cladding is much more durable than paint, especially if it's the textured kind.

·
Registered
502 Posts
That is very helpful, thank you.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I asked the shop where I got my tinting done about XPel and was quoted $1200 for bumper and "a few inches" up each fender and hood, or $1800 for full bumper, both fenders, full hood. Is that good/bad pricing? MY19 S90 T8. Monster Customs in Atlanta.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I asked the shop where I got my tinting done about XPel and was quoted $1200 for bumper and "a few inches" up each fender and hood, or $1800 for full bumper, both fenders, full hood. Is that good/bad pricing? MY19 S90 T8. Monster Customs in Atlanta.
That seems high in US dollars. I paid about $1200CDN or $900 US for the latter but with partial hood.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
That sounds about right. Here's the breakdown for mine:

$1,999 for full front (bumper, full fenders, full hood, and side view mirrors)
$175 for A-pillars and leading edge of roof (basically from top of windshield to about 6-8 inches back along the sunroof)
$250 for painted surface on lower doors, below trim.
$100 for all four door cups.
$200 for rear hatch luggage strip (basically center of rear bumper, down to cladding)

I think it varies depending on the market/location you're in and then of course the reputation of the installer.

·
3,899 Posts
/\ Bingo

The type of film Xpel does have more than one line, installer quality and whether or not there is any hand cut pieces. I would charge about 2k for the full front end on an S90, including mirrors, door cups, and rear bumper/luggage strip would be another 200, along with Gas door (Just cause). A big thing to keep in mind is the prep before and warranty after. Low costs usually mean you're going to get subpar work and if you want to make a claim good luck.

Also worth a note I'm on Long Island so prices are higher here than say middle of the country or even say, middle of CT.

Forgot to mention - I'm using Suntek Ultra (I find it to be the least textured out of the bunch).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts