SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in the stereo forum also but I know there are prople that have XM in their R's that are electronicly inclined.<p>So I installed the USA SPEC IPod adapter in my S60R and the IPod part is crystal clear but I am having problems with noise on my Roady XT. If I am on the AUX in with the ROADY on or off I get a constant noise and wine that matches the RPMs. If I pull the unit off its base then the whine goes away so I know it is somewhere in the XM loop. I hard wired a second cigarette lighter behind the existing one so there are no wires showing for the XM unit. I grounded it on the top of the radio frame. Any ideas or help would be appreciated on getting rid of the noise.<br>Thanks<br>

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: XM Noise (Reno R)

I'm not electronically inclined, but I do have an XM unit in my R. I've got the audiovox that is wired with the FM modulator (no wires showing and not using the cigarette lighter). I don't have any reception problems. the antenna is mounted in the front center roof.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: XM Noise (Reno R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Reno R</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I posted this in the stereo forum also but I know there are prople that have XM in their R's that are electronicly inclined.<p>So I installed the USA SPEC IPod adapter in my S60R and the IPod part is crystal clear but I am having problems with noise on my Roady XT. If I am on the AUX in with the ROADY on or off I get a constant noise and wine that matches the RPMs. If I pull the unit off its base then the whine goes away so I know it is somewhere in the XM loop. I hard wired a second cigarette lighter behind the existing one so there are no wires showing for the XM unit. I grounded it on the top of the radio frame. Any ideas or help would be appreciated on getting rid of the noise.<br>Thanks<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>I have a Sirius unit wired exactly how yours is: tapped another lighter plug off the wire connected to the existing lighter plug and mounted it inside the dash. Also grounded it to the radio frame right above. Mine too goes through the wireless FM modulator (gotta get a USA spec, it kinda sucks). So it shouldn't be anything from those installations, unless your lighter plug wiring sucks. Mine was a $8 jobber from radio shack with unshielded 18 gauge wire, so I couldn't imagine it was an issue. <p>Let me know if you figure it out, the USA spec is on my purchase list!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: XM Noise (needsdecaf)

The USA-Spec is great. I bought a ground loop isolator and that solved most of the issue but I think I need to pull it out and reground the wires. Where exactly did you ground it? Do you get any noise at all when the unit is off?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts