SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed the USA SPEC IPod adapter in my S60R and the IPod part is crystal clear but I am having problems with noise on my Roady XT. If I am on the AUX in with the ROADY on or off I get a constant noise and wine that matches the RPMs. If I pull the unit off its base then the whine goes away so I know it is somewhere in the XM loop. I hard wired a second cigarette lighter behind the existing one so there are no wires showing for the XM unit. I grounded it on the top of the radio frame. Any ideas or help would be appreciated on getting rid of the noise.<br>Thanks<br>

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Re: XM Noise (Reno R)

I've had some experiences with noise in car audio/video. I would first try to find a better ground and if the noise is still present you can put a noise filter inline with the power wire to help. Another possibility is a ground loop isolator. I've had good experiences in my s60r using both an inline power filter and a ground loop isolator.<p>I use this filter...<A HREF="http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=pdf10" TARGET="_blank">http://www.installer.com/item/...pdf10</A>

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: XM Noise (juve021)

Put in a ground loop isolator and that seems to help but still not perfect. I am going to reground it all tonight and see if that takes care of the rest.<br>

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: XM Noise (Reno R)

Update, So I regrounded the Roady last night and that got rid of the alternator whine. It worked much better grounding on the the HU instead of the ground wire from the cig outlet. The sound is better but it has always sounded a little metalic on some stations. Some are crystal crear but others are fuzzy/metalic sounding. It is only slightly but enough to annoy me. Does anyone else have this?

·
Registered
31 Posts
What I've come to realize with my Sirius is that the digital quality of the signal is "pure" enough to reveal the variation in original recording quality. The oldies often sound flat because the frequency response back then wasn't nearly what good high-end recordings offer today. In the same vein, different current artists vary in the quality of their recordings, depending on the producer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts