SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at 2016 S60s and trying to decide if the upgrade to the Platinum package is worth the additional cost. The one item I'm interested in, and only available in platinum or above, are the xenon lights, and I've had them in most of my cars going back to 2000. Has anyone been disappointed with the either the regular lights or thought they should have gone with the platinum? Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Platinum package is definitely worth the additional cost in my opinion. When I got my 2014 S60 platinum, the xenons weren't yet part of that package. Coming from a 2006 Acura TSX, I immediately felt like I took a step back. One of the main reasons I switched to a 2015.5 V60 so soon is that I really missed the HID lights.

·
Registered
112 Posts
We have xenon on our 2015's and they are definitely worth having: zero problems, great long range, and corner following light. Couldn't go back!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
We have xenon on our 2015's and they are definitely worth having: zero problems, great long range, and corner following light. Couldn't go back!
+1. Get 'em.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know we sound like the devil on your shoulder ("spend spend spend") but after having Xenons it would be a huge step for me to go back. I tested versions of the V60 with and without Xenons prior to purchase but in end my wife and I both really wanted them and are super happy we got them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Since you've had them and are used to them, going with the regular halogen lights will be a step back for you. I don't have the xenon lights in mine, but I've never had a car with them so it was no big difference for me. I have driven an XC60 with the xenon lights, and they were excellent. Kind of like upgrading to first class when flying then having to go back to coach. :p

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm looking at 2016 S60s and trying to decide if the upgrade to the Platinum package is worth the additional cost. The one item I'm interested in, and only available in platinum or above, are the xenon lights, and I've had them in most of my cars going back to 2000. Has anyone been disappointed with the either the regular lights or thought they should have gone with the platinum? Thanks.
I'll be the voice of the other side. I don't have xenons and I've had them I'm almost all my cars before. I do agree the stock bulbs on the halogens aren't the greatest. Easy fix.

I changed them with some osram night breakers and I am extremely happy with them. I drive the wife's car all the time and she has xenons and while I like them, I don't notice a huge difference in vision between the cars. The night breakers also have a very pleasant white/blue hue as well.

I'd say if the money isn't much go for it. But if it's significant and you want to save a little, skip it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll probably go with the Platinum. Good to get some other opinions. Confirms my thoughts on difficulty going back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I got the Platinum package because I didn't want to go without Xenons (I had them on my previous car). At first I was disappointed to spend so much more just for headlights, but I will admit that after 2 months of ownership I'm so glad I got the Platinum package. I use the adaptive cruise control a lot, love the auto-high beams (we live in an area with a lot of dark country roads), and the upgraded sound system is really nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I thought Platinum has been discontinued for 2016?..

https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/media/pressreleases/166837/whats-new-2016-volvo-s60

I wasn't able to order Platinum :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the Platinum on my 2015.5 V60, the Xenons are amazing. My passengers have all made comments on their brightness and clarity with zero prompting. The active beams turn with the tires in to curves and also have the hard cornering lights as well. They must have some up down adjustments as well as they tilt that way on startup. And don't get me started with the high beams, it's like stadium daylight in front of you. Best OEM street legal lighting I've ever experienced on a vehicle. (My Jeep has brighter aftermarket lighting for off road use)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have the Platinum on my 2015.5 V60, the Xenons are amazing. My passengers have all made comments on their brightness and clarity with zero prompting. The active beams turn with the tires in to curves and also have the hard cornering lights as well. They must have some up down adjustments as well as they tilt that way on startup. And don't get me started with the high beams, it's like stadium daylight in front of you. Best OEM street legal lighting I've ever experienced on a vehicle. (My Jeep has brighter aftermarket lighting for off road use)
The tilt is the automatic leveling testing itself.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll probably go with the Platinum. Good to get some other opinions. Confirms my thoughts on difficulty going back.
If you do manage to get the Platinum, can you, please, let me know how you were able to pull it off?
When I started to put together my order, Platinum was not available already on the Volvo website and according to multiple dealers.

So now I'm just curious if they all misled me...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dealer hasn't said anything about it changing, but I was looking at the inscription, so maybe it's only available on that one. The dealer website does say platinum on the inscription model.

I've had trouble on the Volvo website figuring out the changes because the brochures are still 2015

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you do manage to get the Platinum, can you, please, let me know how you were able to pull it off?
When I started to put together my order, Platinum was not available already on the Volvo website and according to multiple dealers.

So now I'm just curious if they all misled me...

Just saw your link. Makes sense now why they only had an inscription model in platinum, but they did not correct me when I told them I would consider the regular wheelbase in platinum.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Just saw your link. Makes sense now why they only had an inscription model in platinum, but they did not correct me when I told them I would consider the regular wheelbase in platinum.
I would inquire about this a little more.
My experience with some Volvo dealerships was pretty horrible. At one of them, I asked how much would a S60 Cross Country would cost and was told that "Volvo doesn't make those"...
At another, I was told that beechwood seats are not available.
At yet ANOTHER, I was told that heated seats can only be purchased in the Climate Package...

Basically, I ordered my car from a dealership that seemed to know their product and I'm working directly with the GM/Owner at the moment.

After he told me that Platinum wasn't an option, I didn't believe him at first, but then checked the Volvo press release and the inventory (both on Volvo main site and various dealers across country) and didn't see any Platinum trims anywhere.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The dealer hasn't said anything about it changing, but I was looking at the inscription, so maybe it's only available on that one. The dealer website does say platinum on the inscription model.

I've had trouble on the Volvo website figuring out the changes because the brochures are still 2015
Inscriptions are indeed available in Platinum.

So which one are you getting? Regular wheelbase or the Chinese one? :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Platinum disappeared in the '16, but most of the features are in one premium option package - had to order it to get folding mirrors on our '16.
Really like the lights but could have done without the nav package.
But it's an RD so may have had the Xenons anyway.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Platinum disappeared in the '16, but most of the features are in one premium option package - had to order it to get folding mirrors on our '16.
Really like the lights but could have done without the nav package.
In US there's no premium package.

I just looked at Volvo's Canada website - your S60s have different packages from ours.

·
Registered
505 Posts
... the Xenons are amazing. My passengers have all made comments on their brightness and clarity with zero prompting. The active beams turn with the tires in to curves and also have the hard cornering lights as well.
They are. Head and shoulders above anything else I tried or saw. Some jalopnik review mentioned that they are the best in industry and I totally believe that.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts