or wherever they are from) to the US
and add it into your car? How much do
you think it will cost to add the head
lights in?

Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
As an option when ordering a car in Europe, Xenon lights cost around $1000.00. So they will probably be quite a bit more as an add on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not sure about that. The tricky thing about Xenon lights is that they usually must be installed with automatic height adjustment equipment so that they don't blind oncoming drivers from their brightness.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Do you know if there any other options that I have for installing HID lights? I do not want "blue bulbs" like
how other Honda cars install on their Civics
and such. I want the real things. Could you
please give me some other alternatives?

Chris

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Chris,

The only place that I know of for real aftermarket Xenon HID lights is XenonShop. Their kit comes complete with the 35 watt HID bulbs, electronically controlled ballasts and ignitor, wiring harnesses, and installation guide. The H7 HID kit will cost around $620, which is very reasonble for real HID Xenon lights. Phillips also sells conversions kits for around $590 at various places. Just remember though, that Volvo Xenon's for the S40 are auto self-leveling, and aftermarket setups will not be able to do this. You can visit them at:

Xenon Shop

When the Concept Lab Volvo website opens up on February 27th, I am going to grill Volvo with questions as to why they have not implemented Xenons yet on the S60, V70, and S80! I want the truth!

-Drew

[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 02-19-2001).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
the auto self-leving feature is designed so that the car aims the headlights properly when you have people and cargo in your car. if you did not have self-leving headlights, then the headlights are aimed higher when people are in your car, thus blinding the oncoming driver

Personally I don't "get it" yet what makes the xenons so great. I did have them on my a4 but only got them because they are a cheap option ($400) and everybody else goes nuts about how great they are.

I do have an issue with the way that the relfectors on the s40 work though. the coverage pattern between 1-5 ft in front of the car has "streaks" in it, it's not even coverage. however at 5+ ft the coverage is flat. I don't think it's an aiming problem, I think it's the pattern of the reflectors.

[This message has been edited by joe_flies (edited 02-19-2001).]

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
If Volvo really wants to be a player in the top-notch league with Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Jaguar, Lexus, and Mercedes they have to offer nothing less than the best in lighting technology IMHO. If Audi and BMW can make Xenon's a $400 and $500 option respectively, why can't Volvo? I have driven a 99' LS400, 99' E320, and an 00' GS400 all with Xenon's and there is a remarkable difference. Even the $29k Acura 3.2TL has them standard!

Volvo says that have had more than 1000 filled in questionnaires regarding the Volvo ACC (Adventure Concept Car). As far as questionnaires go, I do not think that is very many people really.

So, I think that the people who want Xenon's (at least as an option) should band together and persistently harrass, badger, heckle, and pester Volvo!
I think that we can recruit lots of people from the Brickboard, VolvoSpy, and Swedespeed!
Volvo says that they are going to listen to the consumers, when the Volvo Concepts Lab opens up!

-Drew

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do not really care if I blind on coming drivers
But i just want that Xenon look for my car. Do the XenonShop headlights look as good as the Audi, Mercedes, and Lexus headlights?

·
Registered
38 Posts
about your comment about not caring about blinding other drivers ... you may want to not attract too much attention. the blue/purple edges of the xenon get cops confused and they tend to pull over people with xenons. if it's a non-factory head set, then you end up with more grief trying to prove that it's a legitimate, DOT approved upgrade, and that can be a hassle.

As for a comparison, here's a post you might find itneresting
www.audiworld.com/forum/m/a4/msgs/447770.phtml

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Just remember, those aftermarket Xenon setups will "look" as good as factory Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, and Mercedes, but they will NOT "perform" as good. In addition to not having auto self-leveling, they are not beam pattern corrected as well.

As Joe said above, you might want to be careful, because I have heard of many Audi owners on AudiWorld with Xenon's being pulled over by cops. Even when the Audi owners prove they are factory HID's by showing the cops the owners manual, they still do not believe them. You might have a hard time proving that they are legal.

You have to take all of those things into consideration if you really want to go for aftermarket HID's.

-Drew

·
Registered
415 Posts
Evolvo,

They are not Xenon H.I.D., those are not allowed in the u.s. and Volvo doesn't want to "break" the law, hehehe, they come with standard low/high beam bulbs.

Carlos

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Hello all,

Okay everyone, the Volvo Concept Lab has just opened up and it is time to tell Volvo that you want Xenon headlights! There are evaluation forms for the ACC, SCC, and PCC for people to give Volvo some input. I have filled them all out and told Volvo that I wanted them to offer Xenon headlights in the future at least as an option. However you feel about this subject, please give them your opinions!
There are also live chats where you can voice your opinions! Thanks!

Volvo Concept Lab

-Drew

[This message has been edited by InDy (edited 02-27-2001).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts