SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My XC70 -09 all of a sudden had the passenger side Xenon bulb turn purple. I took the car to the dealer who said that is a warranty issue, and I did not have to pay for the replacement bulb. Now I notice that the new bulb is a little yellow in comparison to the original white bulb from the factory.

Is this a random difference in light output, or are there different series of lightbulbs to look for? I did not take the bulbs out to compare any print on them, as I want to avoid handling the bulbs as much as possible. Anyone else with the same experience? If this is just how the new bulbs are, I might just pay myself to have the other side replaced as well to have a uniform look to my headlights....as long as I get the same hue.

freezingalaskan

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I'm not an expert on the OEM bulbs - But I had a buddy with an XC90 who had one go out - I told him to go aftermarket and replace both bulbs at the same time. (Which would cost about the same for the one he had to buy ((Not under warranty)) from the dealership.
But he went to the dealer anyway and got the burned out one replaced - There is quite a difference in color.
That being said; I do believe over time that the lights will change a bit with age.
The older one looks closer to purple and the new one is the white / blue hue and a little brighter too...
Of course under warranty they will only replace the one that is fried.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
My XC70 -09 all of a sudden had the passenger side Xenon bulb turn purple. I took the car to the dealer who said that is a warranty issue, and I did not have to pay for the replacement bulb. Now I notice that the new bulb is a little yellow in comparison to the original white bulb from the factory.

Is this a random difference in light output, or are there different series of lightbulbs to look for? I did not take the bulbs out to compare any print on them, as I want to avoid handling the bulbs as much as possible. Anyone else with the same experience? If this is just how the new bulbs are, I might just pay myself to have the other side replaced as well to have a uniform look to my headlights....as long as I get the same hue.

freezingalaskan
This is normal, the bulbs colour shift as they get older. For many HID bulbs there is a major shift (to more white colour) around 200hrs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your responses. Will now have to make up my mind if I care about this issue enough to buy another Xenon bulb.

freezingalaskan

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You'll care about it the next time you see someone driving at night with two different color headlights and realize that's what your car looks like.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
You'll care about it the next time you see someone driving at night with two different color headlights and realize that's what your car looks like.
Unless you always swap HID's in pairs, color shift can always be a factor.
As long as they do their job and the driver can operate safely, so what.
Lamps cost money! But one solution might be to swap both and keep
the good, used lamp onboard as a spare. Just a thought.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Usually when a Bi-Xenon bulb changes color its about to die, that's what happened to mine before it died. Replacing both at the same time is a good idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts