SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I seem to have my first bulb failure, though that's assumed at this point, as I haven't verified that it's not the ballast or any other electrical failure.

The display message is a low beam light failure on the passenger side.

I have checked with my local dealer and the single bulb replacement cost for these is $286+ CDN each. Ya, bit of an ouch.

I'm guessing other people here must have replaced these with non-OEM bulbs at some point in time and was curious as to what they used, cost, color etc.

Also, does anyone know the stock color of these bulbs? 8500K? 10000K?

Thoughts? Advice?

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Re: Xenon bulb failure - replace with non-OEM?? (Boomer)

I think the stock xenons are around 4300k, could be wrong though. *8-10k definitely seems too blue/purple though...
Sorry I am not much help, don't have factory xenons...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

I think stock color is around 4300K, definitely not 8000K since I have those now as a replacement and those are pretty bluish white.

E-bay is your friend, I found one pair that cost $80. You have lots of choice too. If you wanna stay bright and stock, I say 5000-6000K. If you want to have blue-er HID but don't mind sacrificing lumens, go for 8000-10000K.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Xenon bulb failure - replace with non-OEM?? (volvoNB)

Thanks for all of the feedback. I thought the color range I stated sounded off but that was what I found on a couple of webpages, but they weren't reputable sources anyways. Heck, that's what this forum is for! http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

These are all D2S, 35W bulbs you've all used then right ?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Boomer »
These are all D2S, 35W bulbs you've all used then right ?

You got it. Just look for D2S.

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: Xenon bulb failure - replace with non-OEM?? (volvoNB)

Havent replaced a ballast in a S40 yet. Id say odds are you need a bulb and i wouldnt recommend oem as it seems they pop earlier than lifetime as stated haha.

Easy way to tell is remove the bulb, you'll see what looks like a small ball inside. If its all hazed and looks smokey odds are its blown and requires a replacement.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Re: Xenon bulb failure - replace with non-OEM?? (ForceFed Motorsports)

Now I'm glad I got the dealer to turn off my DRL .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (Vash13)

Yup, here in Van. I've been a pretty silent but faithful follower of the forum for the past year and a bit. I really wanted to get to the Seattle GTG but was out of town last weekend, otherwise I would have been there for sure!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
if you don`t want to pay that much for a xenon bulb, I suggest just getting aftermarket HIDs. For about half the price of the bulb you can get the whole HID kit.

One of these days in the summer we will have a small Vancouver GTG with the people who didn`t go down to Seattle. Keep in touch if you are interested

1 - 12 of 12 Posts