SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to put winter tyres on my new XC90 (produced next week and hopefully delivered before Christmas). It is a momentum that comes with 19' standard wheels. Does anybody know if the tyre monitoring device is in the wheel or in the ABS? If it is not in the wheel, it should be possible to get winter wheels without pressure sensors. Otherwise it may be better to change only the tyre and keep the wheels with the sensors, although this may require reprogramming the car. Also any idea if it is worth getting 18' winter wheels? They are cheaper and possibly better on snow/ice. However, can a different size wheel be mounted without having to reprogram the car? I a few words I am looking for the easier way of changing from summer to winter tyres.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In The US the main tire dealer is Tire Rack and when I inquired about a wheel and snow tire combo, they said you have to install the sensor in the wheel. The have not tested any wheels for fit yet and they are still unsure which tire sensor Volvo is using. F.Y.I when I called a dealer about the OEM 5 spoke 20" wheels they said they were $750.00 each.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Does anybody know if the tyre monitoring device is in the wheel or in the ABS? If it is not in the wheel, it should be possible to get winter wheels without pressure sensors.
Located in the air valves:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-my/XC90(16-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-482336/2016

Would think you could order a second set of rims (wheels) ... and then fit the snow tyres on them along with a new set of tyre pressure monitoring sensors. Not sure what happens when you swap the tyres/wheels ... if you have to have the dealer do something to let the monitoring system in the car know different sensors are in use. (Check the instructions on the aforementioned link.)

·
Registered
962 Posts
In The US the main tire dealer is Tire Rack...
discount tire is good too and very competitive with tirerack.com.

for anyone with the 21" wheel i recommend the pirelli scorpion winter/snow/ice tire. i had them in 295/35/21 for several winters and absolutely not complaints. most extreme conditions i drove with them in were over 16" of snow and negative fahrenheit temps and no issues. (i am quite certain a 20" with more tire would probably work better but those of you with 21" fear not... you'll be fine with the appropriate tires.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Located in the air valves:

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-my/XC90(16-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-482336/2016

Would think you could order a second set of rims (wheels) ... and then fit the snow tyres on them along with a new set of tyre pressure monitoring sensors. Not sure what happens when you swap the tyres/wheels ... if you have to have the dealer do something to let the monitoring system in the car know different sensors are in use. (Check the instructions on the aforementioned link.)
Thank you, this is very useful. May the best is just to change the tyres and keep the same wheels with the monitoring sensors.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I can confirm as well, in the MY16 XC90 the sensors are in the wheels. The system must be at least recalibrated (user doable) and possibly told of the new tires dimensions (dealer must do it via VIDA).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts