SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Interesting that the MKX was included as a finalist. It's nowhere near $60,000 in the U.S. (I do realize that this is a Canadian award). My in-laws have an MKX and I drive a Porsche Macan. The MKX is no where close to the same class as either the XC90 or the Macan, and I am not sure how you even lump the XC90 in with the Macan and grade them on the same scale. (I'm also not sure why the Macan was not above the likes of the MKX, someone was either asleep at the wheel or got paid off on that one).

The SUV/CUV lumped category doesn't work for me at all. They accomplish completely different things. My Macan is an absolute blast to drive and handles on rails, as close to a sports car as you can get without being one. The XC90 on the other hand, is a blast to drive for a different reason: The beautiful interior and the amazing, intuitive tech. Not taking into account all of the XC90's issues, the Macan's comfort tech is no where close to the Sensus in the XC90, however the seats are just as good (they are so excellent in the Macan) and the Macan's suspension is far superior in my uneducated opinion. I have steel springs and 21" wheels in both the XC90 and the Macan (and the Macan's tires are even lower profile) and yet in the Macan's most aggressive adaptive suspension setting it is much more refined than the XC90's. But that's what you're getting with a Macan, performance and not comfort tech.

I'm just not sure how you would compare the two side by side and pit them against each other in the same category.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think the parameters of these awards don't make sense sometimes, but the takeaway here is that the reviewers are very impressed with the new XC90, and the new XC90 is winning a lot of awards these days.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I think the parameters of these awards don't make sense sometimes, but the takeaway here is that the reviewers are very impressed with the new XC90, and the new XC90 is winning a lot of awards these days.
+1

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe they clumped the different premium suvs together into one class because they didn't have enough vehicles competing in that segment. For example, in their testing,they've put the Smart ForTwo and Toyota Yaris sedan (subcompacts) up against larger vehicles such as the new Honda Civic, VW Jetta, and the Scion iM simply because their weren't enough entrants in the subcompact category.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts