SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 2500 miles I have discovered my Inscription delivered in October has water leaks. Specifically water is visible in the passenger side rear interior near the cubby, and water pours out of the drivers side rear door when opened after a rain. I think this is a serious issue.

To date, I have heard this discussed by Okie, who had his car bought back by Volvo, Ikea who has received a $750 stipend for his trouble, and Bolinp78 who's problem has not yet been resolved, and others with damaged headliners (and possibly B&W speakers).

I am starting this thread to determine if anyone has received and verified a resolution to the leaks. To date, the resolutions have suggested a leak in one cars roof antenna which was not sealed properly, and a second with a cramped drain, and a third with a bad moonroof cell requiring replacement.

I would like to make sure my dealer knows how to address a hard problem to diagnose. Any successful resolution to water leaks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
From what I've read so far and please correct me if I'm wrong the car has to be parked uphill for the condition to appear.

My question is can't they lift the front end of the car and spray water on it to find the leak.? Can't they take out the headliner and see where the water is getting in and trace it backwards.? It sounds labor intensive but it's probably better than I don't know ..guessing.?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Also, just curious... Do you guys that have leaks in your sunroofs regularly drive with them open? Maybe the act of opening and closing the sunroof causes something to mess with the drains...

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you go back and read my previous posts, you will find that I reported and showed pics of the exact same thing as OP. Water in rear cubby area (and the first leak had water intrusion on both sides.. And a ton of water spilling out of driver side rear door upon opening. Exact same report.

·
Registered
381 Posts
From what I've read so far and please correct me if I'm wrong the car has to be parked uphill for the condition to appear.

My question is can't they lift the front end of the car and spray water on it to find the leak.? Can't they take out the headliner and see where the water is getting in and trace it backwards.? It sounds labor intensive but it's probably better than I don't know ..guessing.?
capla's was flat

And you're right, but Volvo hasn't woken up yet. I've sent messages to their Facebook acct, I've told my rep. The regional manager, you name it. How many more people will report this on these forums before someone at Volvo wakes up, does a bit of extra work, communication and digging and actually figures out what's going on instead of a bunch of dealerships and VCNA techs throwing their hands up in the air and keeping people's cars in the shops for weeks?

·
Registered
543 Posts
capla's was flat

And you're right, but Volvo hasn't woken up yet. I've sent messages to their Facebook acct, I've told my rep. The regional manager, you name it. How many more people will report this on these forums before someone at Volvo wakes up, does a bit of extra work, communication and digging and actually figures out what's going on instead of a bunch of dealerships and VCNA techs throwing their hands up in the air and keeping people's cars in the shops for weeks?
I would send an email to Volvo Customer Experience Manager [email protected] and maybe even call them
+46 31 325 00 77
(Lines open: 09.30-11.00 and 14.00-16.00 CET, Saturday and Sunday closed).

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
capla's was flat

Mine was flat. But even if it wasn't, it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you go back and read my previous posts, you will find that I reported and showed pics of the exact same thing as OP. Water in rear cubby area (and the first leak had water intrusion on both sides.. And a ton of water spilling out of driver side rear door upon opening. Exact same report.
Agreed. Exact same issue. To date, what has the dealer told you? Do you believe the problem has been addressed?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Agreed. Exact same issue. To date, what has the dealer told you? Do you believe the problem has been addressed?
The first time the leak occurred the VCNA engineer found that the sunroof drain tube was pinched, so they implemented the "fix" and then it leaked again when it rained next. Pic of pinched tube here:

Dealer has thrown their hands up in the air. I mean what are they going to do anyway? The way the system is set up, they have their hand held by VCNA the whole way. They have had an internal tech looking at it, but in the end it's up to VCNA to approve a fix. I dropped my car off Tuesday 7:30am and was told Friday that the VCNA engineer is stuck at another dealership and might not even be able to make it out this next week. So let's just say that holds true... That means that my car might be in the shop from Tuesday Dec 15 7:30am until Monday Dec 28 before a VCNA tech even looks at it. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Apparently someone high up enough at Volvo has not noticed the alarming fact that the VCNA engineer implemented a 'fix' that didn't work and that there are other leaks out there as well. It's a bit hard to tell from the pic, but it looks to me like the tube isn't even pinched that bad and the tech saw that, gave a wink, pulled the tube out a bit, and went on about his merry way.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The first time the leak occurred the VCNA engineer found that the sunroof drain tube was pinched, so they implemented the "fix" and then it leaked again when it rained next. Pic of pinched tube here:

Dealer has thrown their hands up in the air. I mean what are they going to do anyway? The way the system is set up, they have their hand held by VCNA the whole way. They have had an internal tech looking at it, but in the end it's up to VCNA to approve a fix. I dropped my car off Tuesday 7:30am and was told Friday that the VCNA engineer is stuck at another dealership and might not even be able to make it out this next week. Apparently someone high up enough at Volvo has not noticed the alarming fact that the VCNA engineer implemented a 'fix' that didn't work and that there are other leaks out there as well.
Thanks. This is very helpful. Particularly to note that the pinched tube "fix" doesn't resolve the issue.

I will post my dealers actions as soon as I have some info.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I would send an email to Volvo Customer Experience Manager [email protected] and maybe even call them
+46 31 325 00 77
(Lines open: 09.30-11.00 and 14.00-16.00 CET, Saturday and Sunday closed).

Good Luck
Great idea....they cannot fix a problem they don't know about....

·
Registered
559 Posts
If I may make another suggestion, it would probably be useful to post this issue on the official Volvo support forum here.

http://support.volvocars.com/forum/forum18-volvo-xc-my-.aspx

That forum is officially hosted by Volvo and there have been numerous posts by sanctioned Volvo staff there. It may be another way to ensure this issue gets the visibility and attention it deserves.

This is definitely a major and rather scary issue (especially with the amount of electronic sub-systems in this car, the idea of water entering the cabin is especially scary) and regardless of whether it is a systemic or a series of idiosyncratic issues, you folks deserve a good answer to your questions and satisfactory resolution to your problem.

Hopefully by bringing it to light on Volvo's official forum, you'll at least get someone's attention at the mothership level.

I wish you all the best of luck.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
If I may make another suggestion, it would probably be useful to post this issue on the official Volvo support forum here.

http://support.volvocars.com/forum/forum18-volvo-xc-my-.aspx

That forum is officially hosted by Volvo and there have been numerous posts by sanctioned Volvo staff there. It may be another way to ensure this issue gets the visibility and attention it deserves.

This is definitely a major and rather scary issue (especially with the amount of electronic sub-systems in this car, the idea of water entering the cabin is especially scary) and regardless of whether it is a systemic or a series of idiosyncratic issues, you folks deserve a good answer to your questions and satisfactory resolution to your problem.

Hopefully by bringing it to light on Volvo's official forum, you'll at least get someone's attention at the mothership level.

I wish you all the best of luck.
Great idea. I will d a thorough post on this on the Volvo forum tomorrow. I will try to gather pictures, but if anyone impacted could repost their pictures in this thread it would be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts