SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife called me to tell me she was rear ended by a Trooper about a mile from the house. The Trooper's grill was pushed in, and the corner light of the XC90 is history. :(

Glad she was in a Volvo, or who knows what would have happened. May have to pin this in the how the Volvo saved her section. :) :facepalm:

Now i have to get my hands dirty and change the corner light fixture. eewwww!:thumbdown:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good to hear no injuries!

Are you talking about the lower half of the taillights, or the reflector in the bumper (the one the wraps around the corner)?

Did it scratch up the bumper also?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The $35 light in the bumper. it has the grey textured bumper,and it tore the bumper a little where the light clips in (the flat part - where it is recessed in the corner). of course she let the woman who hit her write her information down - barely legible with no phone number. too bad, i was going to call her and tell her happy holidays, dont worry about the $35 part and we will live with the little tear.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Did it scratch up the bumper also?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Looked at it in daylight today. not only did she get the corner light, and tear the bottom left corner of the bumper where the corner light clicks in, she dented/bent the bumper cover and probably the foam under it. there is a bit of a fold on the right third of the bumper on the horizontal part where it meets the tailgate. she probably did about $900 of damage. i have the gals information, but will probably just live with it. the car has 85k miles on it, if it starts to bug mywife, i can probably get a used bumper cover for 200, so for 250 and a few hours labor....or i can go to the house of the woman who hit her, knock on the door, and get a few hundred bucks out of her just in time for the holidays. im too old and tired to be scrooge to someone who probably has more $$ than me.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
I would file an insurance claim immediately. With unibody cars, there can be lots of hidden damage.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Get a second opinion

I would have a body shop look at it.
Things add up quick.
If you decide to sell the XC, the damage might be used against you when it comes to value.

If you get it checked out and you decide not to pursue the person who is liable, then at least you looked into it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It's very kind of you to suck it up, but isn't that why we all have insurance?

·
Registered
564 Posts
I don't understand why you wouldn't go through with the insurance claim, as it's both your right and something you've already paid for! Also, I can guarantee you that were your positions reversed, they would not hold out for you.

As it stands, they might even try to make you the "at fault" party in all this.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a few reasons. my wife let the woman write down her information, and didnt get a phone number. my recourse is to go to their house and knock on the door to get $250. I can put it through my inusrance with a $500 deductible, give them her number, and let insurance handle it. if that happens, i will get about $250 (total damage is about $750 if a new bumper skin is purchased) and her rates will go up more than teh $250 - nobody wins.

My wife says the little crumple in the bumper doesnt bother her. I looked closely at the car today, and it looks like the bottom of her grill or bumper rubbed the top of our bumper buy the AWD logo. it pushed the bumper in a bit, tore about 1/4 of the bumper at the corner where it meets by the taligate (the top of the part of the bumper that is raised on the end) which you cant see unless the bottom of the tailgate is dropped. It tore about 1/4 inch in the bottom left corner by the corner light where it is recessed, and where the bumper rubbed it is raised the slightest bit, which will probably drop back after a few days in the sun.

she didnt hit any paint so the unibody is fine, the bumper skin and maybe some of the foam under it took the impact. I bought the light for $34 from FCP, it is on its way with about $15 of other parts - 3 bulbs, and the gas door hinge. if my wife doesnt mind the damage to the bumper skin, and doesnt care if it is fixed, why would i want to knock on someones door trying to get $$ for something she doesnt care about? Too many other things on the plate, so i am going to let this one go. If i find my camera i will shoot a picture.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hold on a minute - isn't it possible for your insurance co. to burden all the repair costs on the policy of the at-fault driver? (In which case, you'd pay no deductible nor would your rates go up).

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Does the deductible apply when you are not at fault? Strange! Of course, it varies by state.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i believe i go to my insurance compny, pay my deductible, get the car fixed, and subrogate my rights to my insurance co. when they collect frm her insurance they ive me back my deductible. rinowis as iff i backed into a pole. Since there is no police report, the other driver can say my wife made the whole thing up, and i have a claim on my record that will affect my renewal.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The parts came in today so I shot a few pictures of the damage. Now you can see why I am not going after the gal who hit her. The time it will take to get few hundred bucks, plus consequences her insurance going up over this little bit of damage isnt worth it.

The tear in the bumper by the corner light housing.

Drop the bottom of the hatch and you see the tear in the bumper up on the top of the bumper.

The slight warp in the bumper cover.

·
Registered
365 Posts
You get good Karma points for letting it go. But still - she damaged your stuff, and now you have a torn bumper. If it doesnt bother you, then you're truly pious. I still think that is why God invented insurance though...

If you were trying to hose her for a repaint, or something over the top, it wouldnt be fair. But simply fixing what she broke - well, i think fair is fair. But that's just me.

I will say that I hope the next time my wife rear ends someone, that its you. :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Uhhh, I would not touch that one with a "ten foot pole" for fear I would be the butt of the joke.

P

·
Registered
365 Posts
Any time you can use the words "wife" and "rear ended", you cant pass up the chance on that double entendre, my good man.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Careful, the forum police will be putting you on probation watch.

ha

P

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You get good Karma points for letting it go. But still - she damaged your stuff, and now you have a torn bumper. If it doesnt bother you, then you're truly pious. I still think that is why God invented insurance though...

If you were trying to hose her for a repaint, or something over the top, it wouldnt be fair. But simply fixing what she broke - well, i think fair is fair. But that's just me.

I will say that I hope the next time my wife rear ends someone, that its you. :)

Cheers!
the vehicle is a utility, its not like it's a bmw or some other fancy car. ;) if there was a little more damage i would pursue it, if i my car rolling unatteded into three cars in august wasnt on my company's radar i may have pursued it, if the car was a few years newer i probably would have pursued it. it cost $49 for a new light, gas tank hinge, and a few bulbs delivered. the cost of tracking, arguing, etc. to get her insurance to pay is more than the damage.

most important is the fact that she who must be obeyed doesnt care about it. And she is pretty fastidious about her car, and while I clean it, she takes much better care of her vehicle than 99% of mothers who haul kids, so the damage cant be too much. she keeps the inside very clean, i keep the outside fairly clean.

·
Registered
953 Posts
lucky you did not have to replace one of those rear sensors, I think they are 75-125 a pop

1- first xc90 was rearended by a pregnant woman in a civic if i remember, she was distraught !

our xc90 about 800 of damage, mainly the sensor, bumper stayed ok

hers: front end was destroyed

2- I backed up too quick and by the time I heard the beeeeeep, I had backed real hard into friends honda in our driveway, smashed its front end, watched it roll down our driveway, acroos the road and into neighbors yard. missed a car driving by...
xc90 - no damage
honda - i paid about 2200

the flimsy looking plastic bumper stands up pretty good....
rear beep is time limited update, mentioned elsewhere I believe one second update and no faster than 5 mph

1 - 20 of 20 Posts