SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new S40 and love it, and am trying to talk my parents into getting an XC90. What do you guys suggest...is the Volvo good? Should we give the VW and audi a look?

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Re: XC90 vs. Touareg vs. Q7 (tayk47)

Quote, originally posted by tayk47 »
I have a new S40 and love it, and am trying to talk my parents into getting an XC90. What do you guys suggest...is the Volvo good? Should we give the VW and audi a look?

Well, the VW is too small and the Q7 too big.
You can't carry much in the VW, the Q7 is bigger than the XC90, but its cargo capacity really isn't.
Off road the VW is best, the Q7 useless and the Volvo is in the middle.

As for price,the VW is close to the price of the XC90, the Q7 alot more.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Re: XC90 vs. Touareg vs. Q7 (VolvoMax)

Extra 2 cents from the armature Volvo lover (considering that VolvoMax is a proffi).

VW doesn't not have 7-seat option. And this option comes handy from time to time for the larger family.
And I felt that (using the IQ test approach) Q7 is to XC90 almost as A8 to S80 - more refined and luxurious, but much bigger and significantly more expensive, while gives very little extras in practicality and versatility.

·
Registered
719 Posts

I am basing my opinion strictly on numbers, and assuming leasing is an option. With the current leasing deals its a no-brainer getting the XC90.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I wrote this on a Touareg forum:

Quote »
Time has come to replace the Touareg which I have had a love/hate relationship (lately, it has been more love) and could not convinced the wife to look at the new Q7. Our needs have changed with the addition of 2 new twins to the family. The double stroller occupies ALL of the cargo space in the Egg. We considered the MDX (had an 01 - perfect, but no soul), Tahoe/Escalade (too bulky), Q7 (wife thought it was uglier than the Touareg), Armada/QX56 (very ugly according to the Mrs), and the Merc GL450. We actually have a GL on order, but the price (>$70k with all the goodies) was going to be a sting. Came upon the latest Volvo incentives and decided to look at the XC90V8. Currently Volvo is running a 24 mos lease with money factor at .00001 and residual of 74%. It was too hard to pass up, and when they included a tax credit I caved in.

Interior- The Egg interior is much nicer in appointments and finish. The volvo is rather bland and the wood material looks like K-car plastic. The XC90 seating is much better though, with more comfortable seats in both rows and hassle-free folding of the 2nd row. I have replaced no less than 6 sets of rubber tabs on my second row seats in the Egg. Volume wise there is also no comparison. The Xc90 is cavernous.

Electronics - Stereo on the XC also has Prologic II with a center channel, and the steering controls cruise the presets on the FM instead of seek! The Egg stereo has more bass though - quite excellent in that regard. Nav also is easier to use, with steering wheel controls or a separate remote on the XC90 and the viewing angle is easier and less distracting for driving. It is also DVD based, but on 2 dvds. Egg dash has more infor accessible in its menus, and the finish is top quality (its borrowed for usage on the bently and the gallardo!).

suspension/steering - the airsuspended EGG has been great, and makes towing a real pleasure. The XC90 is much softer and more compliant, and has rear auto leveling but I have yet to tow with it. Steering wise, no comparo. The Egg feels much tighter and responsive.

Engine/tranny - toss up. The Egg motor is strong, but I have had numerous issues with the transfer case/stepper motor, lag of death, cold start hesitation on engagement. Throttle tip in also has always been difficult to modulate. The XC90 is much smoother, the motor is actually stronger and has less to haul. throttle is easier to modulate although it is a bit like molasses.

Exterior- The Egg is a sexy beast. the XC90 is forgettable, if not more rugged looking.

In the end, I have enjoyed the Egg more than loathed it, but it is time to move on.

My 04 Touareg was plagued with glitches. Nothing horrible but in the end, it erodes any confidence or enthusiasm for the car. The 06's supposedly are more reliable

·
Registered
115 Posts
Re: XC90 vs. Touareg vs. Q7 (VolvoMax)

I don't think the Q7 is too big, but the boot is awkward. It's supposed to be bigger than XC(), but the window is so steeply raked that is takes away what could be a huge boot.

I liked it when I checked it out in person, the seats and materials are top notch. The V6 model comes in the same price as my 07 XC90 3.2, but lease-wise it was $200 more per month!

I quickly walked out. They just aren't competitive. The V^ is even more than the more costly V8 by a fair margin. Hell, I think the new Benz GL may be cheaper too.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Re: (eclou)

Quote, originally posted by eclou »
Exterior- The Egg is a sexy beast. the XC90 is forgettable, if not more rugged looking.

Couldn't disagree more. For me, the Touareg does nothing. It just similar to any other VWs. The XC90s, on the other hand, I find very attractive. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Different strokes for different folks! http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (AccuView)

Quote, originally posted by AccuView »

Couldn't disagree more. For me, the Touareg does nothing. It just similar to any other VWs. The XC90s, on the other hand, I find very attractive. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Different strokes for different folks! http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

I have always found the front of the Touareg to look like a bloated Passat.

Also remember that the Touareg V8 is friggin heavy! 5,300 lbs vs. 4,600 for an XC90 V8.

It IS nice inside, nicer than the Volvo, but the Volvo is WAY bigger inside despite being less than 2" longer and being narrower.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts

We've spent quite a bit of time looking at the Q7.

Overall it's obviously more luxurious (and more expensive) than our V8. It's also about 800+ pounds HEAVIER. Why? Because it comes with some off-roading pretensions. I don't see anybody taking their $60k+ Q7 rock crawling but you do get to drag around that heavy duty suspension for no reason. On paper the 350 horse engine sounds great but in real life it is saddled with too much weight and the XC90 V8 runs rings around the pokey Q7 (in fairness it's not slow - just average.)

The biggest issues for the Q7 are the fuel economy/power (due to the weight) and the third row access/utility. I had to literally climb over the folded 2nd row seat back to get in the third row which is somehow more cramped than the XC90 (mostly because the roof slopes down so much in the rear.) The rear hatch is also very mini-van like for some reason.
Others have complained that the panorama moonroof screen doesn't block much light on sunny days but I haven't experienced this yet.

The air suspension on the Q7 is neat but given the weight penalty they would have been better off picking a static ride height (if Audi skipped the off-roading pretention with the associated flabby weight and went with a ride height about 1-inch lower than the XC90 the XC90 would have a hard time competing.)

As it is the Q7 is a nice alternative to say a Cayenne or a X5 for a family but I think those who want an ultra lux family hauler or going to opt for the new 7-seat X5 next year instead (which will clearly handle better than the Q7 for similar money.) Also the Mercedes ML will run rings around the Q7 and XC90 for similar money.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We seriously looked at the Toureg last year - and thought that we would end up with the VW vs. the XC90 because of it's ability to haul heavier loads (horse trailer).

We ended up with the Volvo for a couple of reasons:
1) The Toureg just has too many problems with too many cars. A car salesman that I spoke to just a few weeks ago said that he's had a # of customers royal p****d because he's had so many problems w/ his 2006. We just heard one to many horror stories.
3) The interior of the XC90 won us over - 3rd row, so much more cargo room, and overall a much more comfortable car.
4) We got to go to Gottenburg to pick it up at the factory!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Re: (Ebbet4)

Ebbet4, how has the trailering been with your XC90? Any issues? I read that using the electrical hook ups on the V8 causes the vehicle to accelerate slower from a dead stop and then it goes back to normal once you unplug the trailer. Do you have the factory hitch and plugs? If so, do you notice this difference in acceleration? Just curious...........

·
Registered
47 Posts
Trailer hitch installed by the horse trailer dealership. Acceleration isn't too much of an issue because you just don't hit the gas pedal too hard w/ horses.

So, while you have to make a compromise w/ what type of horse trailer you haul with (steel horse trailers are really out of the question, european styled horse trailers are in), we do like the v8 an awful lot!

·
Registered
144 Posts

Well we are on the opposite side of the spectrum. (a little rant) We curretly own an 05 T6 XC90 and have had nothing but problems with it. Now that I have said that, it is still a very nice vehicle. Comfortable, drives nice, nice craftsmanship, but with all of the "mechanical" shop time it's seen we just do not want to deal with it anymore. We are seriosly considering the Q7. I personally like the the overall looks of it.......in and out (to each is own I suppose) The Q7 offers up to 6600lbs of towing capability, a little larger in interior room (especially 2nd row) which gets used much, much more than 3rd row which to me makes more sense. I'm not to worried about 3rd row seating since it is generally used for children. My 4 1/2 yr. old daughter fit just fine in the 3rd row of the Q7 with plenty of extra room left over, but adults sit more comfortably in the second row which I figure is mostly in part to the longer length of the vehicle. I do believe as well the quattro system is a bit heavier than the system on the XC90 which may bring up the weight of the Q7 a little. We also currently own an 02 Audi allroad and have had no problems with that and it is coming up to 70K miles. Also the quattro system on the allroad is seamless, I never know when it is having to really work where the XC90 does not seem to be as seamless with it's application in awd, and on top of that the steering seems to be all over the place when you need to pull out into traffic and get on it, like it is always over-correcting. JMHO.

I just wanted to share with you another view on one of the vehicles you are looking at. We looked at the VW and BWM X5 before buying the XC90.......no contest for us mainly because the lack of cargo area. There is no doubt we would be looking at a V8 XC90 if it were not for our problematic car. This is our first Volvo and maybe our last. Service has a little to do with this decision as well. Our Audi dealer is top notch where I feel Volvo service may not understand that some of these vehicles cost close to 50K and they should not have to be replacing steerring racks, tie rod ends, and new power seats. I know not most have had problems with XC90 and with that current lease deal out, it is definately very attractive vehicle.

All these vehicles you are looking at are pretty nice, I suppose you just need to look at your own individual needs and make the best decision for you. Good Luck

·
Registered
400 Posts
Re: XC90 vs. Touareg vs. Q7 (k2volvo)

What about the Sequoia? Solid rear axle makes it a real towing machine, but it really is quite comfortable and roomy, even with the 3rd row seat in.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: XC90 vs. Touareg vs. Q7 (rollie)

Quote, originally posted by rollie »
Also the Mercedes ML will run rings around the Q7 and XC90 for similar money.

Not only that but the Mercedes GL450 already runs rings around the Q7. You can get a VERY NICELY equipped GL450 in the very low $50K and the car seats 7 adults and has a tremendous engine.

Yannis

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
...and the commercials are great. Love the nerdy engineers with drab clothing & BCG's.

Volvo just gives us that creepy newsflash guy.

And the Audi just doesn't look like an Audi. Q5 should be much better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: XC90 vs. Touareg vs. Q7 (GrecianVolvo)

Yannis, will the GL have leather seats for that price point?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Re: XC90 vs. Touareg vs. Q7 (OFDM)

Quote, originally posted by OFDM »
Yannis, will the GL have leather seats for that price point?

I doubt it will have much at that price point. The starting MSRP is about $55K. With the same level of equipment as a loaded V8, the MSRP for the GL tops $68K. Don't know how much discount MB is offering for a new model.

Modified by AccuView at 4:24 PM 8-16-2006

·
Registered
23 Posts
The base GL includes only "MBTex" which is a synthetic leather almost indistinguishable from their optional leather.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts