SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '08 XC90 V8 and I started noticing over the past few months that the transmission seems to "lag" under acceleration. If I am in any gear above 1st and the engine is below 2000 rpm, the engine will accelerate to about 2500 rpm with what seems like only partial power, then "lag" down to about 2000 rpm (no change in throttle input), and then from 2000 rpm will accelerate like normal with the full amount of power. This happens anywhere from 25% throttle to my foot all the way down. I fear the transmission is about to go bad. Any knowledge on what this might be and any possible solutions? Ill try and post a video in the next couple days of this happening.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I've never experienced shift "flare" but is this what you're describing?

See http://www.ipdusa.com/techtips/10176/volvo-tf80-awf21-transmission-issues and maybe http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?199488-2007-XC90-V8-Transmission-problem-(or-valve-body), this one minus the "thunk"

Don't want to steer you wrong if this is not what you're experiencing. As far as resolution, could be a number of paths but one that seems to make sense off the get-go is to replace the fluid. Some reports I have read of the problem going away (think itwontstopsnowin is one of them?).

Certainly a lower cost option than a new valve body or a reman tranny if it works for you. Keep in mind that this transmission uses a JWS 3309 fluid (you'll find lots of mfr options on this site, I use Mobil 3309 in my 4 fills to date over 2 vehicles but that's just me). Procedure for the TF-80 SC, if you're inclined to do it yourself is here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?204760-How-To-XC90-6-speed-transmission-fluid-flush

At any rate, it may be worth a try to change out the fluid before jumping to any costly conclusion.

Good luck !

·
Registered
836 Posts
The IPDUSA article talks about having the latest Volvo software for the transmission ECM, using a Volvo VIDA station.

How can you check to see what you have? How is this done? Can I do this myself?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
To see the SW version you'll likely need to take it to a dealer or to a legit indy that has a VIDA subscription with a DICE unit (VIDA station). I don't recall ever being able to see the version but others might have. You may have to connect to Volvo to see it? For sure, if the TCM needs updated (and I'm gong to guess you're way outside of any known normal warranty), you'll need to pay for the software plus labor.

IDP article noted SW update as well as a fluid change: "Make sure the transmission fluid is clean. Flush if in doubt.". My opinion only, the least cost suggestion at this point is fluid. Would be happy for others to chime in, I have never personally experienced the issue you noted. But then again I change my trans fluid every 60-70k regardless . Just bought a '08 with 93k on the clock, one of the first things I did after I got it. My '05 (AW50/51 AWD) has had the fluid changed 3 times now.

Additional note: Might also have a look at this thread from 2013, I have never personally done a "power flush" on any of my vehicles but it's worth reviewing for additional information, even just as another point of perspective (see also link on subpost#12): http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ic-Transmission-in-my-V8-XC90-with-230k-miles

·
Registered
134 Posts
ams, I have a 2007 s80 v8 with 135k miles and we have the same transmission.

I had been having clunky shifts, mostly in 1-2, but sometimes higher up. I also think I had been having very subtle lag, so subtle I wasn't sure it was happening, but I also have had a new throttle put in recently, and couldn't decide if it was the throttle lagging or the transmission (if it was lagging at all).

The last straw was a flare that happened when I was in a relatively high gear for the speed (most likely 4th) and had to accelerate hard to merge into highway traffic. Like the lag, it was subtle, but I'm pretty certain it was there.

So, after reading a lot of threads about transmission issues in these cars, I had the BG transmission flush done at a local Volvo dealer.

It's a flush of the old fluid which is replaced with their proprietary fluids and cleaners that act to clear out gunk and deposits that have accumulated over time.

It worked like a wonder on my car, straight out of the gate.

My old transmission fluid was utter toast. Why Volvo claims this fluid is meant to last a lifetime is beyond me.

Maybe itwontstopsnowin will pop in here, as his recommendation of this process is what made me decide to do the BG flush, and am I glad I did!

As an aside, all my driving was done in auto. Before the flush, had I wanted to, I could have shifted much smoother in manual. After the flush, I cannot. Auto is smoother.

Good luck!

Just found this thread, you might like to take a look

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...ic-Transmission-in-my-V8-XC90-with-230k-miles

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help so far everyone.

The lag issue I'm having happens while in gear and not shifting between gears, so I don't think its the flare issue that was described. My issue seems closer to the lag issue that cb940 described, except that it happens in every gear except for 1st under anything more than 25% throttle. The closest thing I can compare it to is a traction control system cutting in and restricting the RPM.

Also, I just had the car in at my local dealership to have the 112.5k service done and I was hoping the service would fix this issue, but there is no noticeable difference from before it was serviced. How easy/expensive is it to flush the transmission fluid?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here's a video of what I'm talking about: https://youtu.be/h2lKyUQk4uM

In the video I'm in 3rd gear and at almost 100% throttle. The engine will go up to about 2500 rpm, lag down to about 2000 rpm, and then accelerate like normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts