SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am thinking of buying a 2006 xc90 awd v8. Trans needs replaced.
I am wondering if the transmission of the v8 is the same (bellhousing bolt up) as the other volvo engines?
I also have a c30 with a blownup engine, and was considering swapping the v8 in the c30, or the c30 transmission into the xc90.
Or make the v8 rwd using a V90 rwd transmission. All of these ideas kinda depend on the whether the transmission will bolt-up and be compatible.

Thanks

·
Registered
492 Posts
The transmissions between XC90 V8 and C30 are completely different. XC90 V8 transmission is an Aisin TF-80SC. C30 uses an Aisin AW55-50 or Ford PowerShift depending on year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The transmissions between XC90 V8 and C30 are completely different. XC90 V8 transmission is an Aisin TF-80SC. C30 uses an Aisin AW55-50 or Ford PowerShift depending on year.
I'm not surprised they are different, the question is the transmission bellhousing of the volvo v8 the same as the i5,i6 or is it unique to the V8?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hm, not sure... You'll also run into the problem of the V8 producing too much power for the C30 transmission -- they weren't built to handle 300 HP.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The C30 T5 is FWD, the XC90 V8 is AWD. Do an internet search of AW55/50SN (/51SN?) and TF-80SC transmission images, you'll see the engine mounting points are quite different. There was a TF-80SC mated to a 5-cylinder in the R series for a couple years, think that's as close as you're going to get to a direct fitment with the 6-speed automatic, and even that may be a challenge in this car.

Never seen a post with trying to shoehorn a V8 into a C30 bay, I'm guessing it's technically possible but it'll take quite an amount of re-work. Front axle location, mounts, hoses, whole bunch of things need to align.

After getting past the mechanical, there's the software module (ECM/TCM as one example) interoperability to contend with.

I'm probably oversimplifying but I don't see how reasonable this would be to attempt, given all the differences.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
Will need fully custom ecu since your going from 5 cylinders to 8..
Also the starter for the xc90 is mounted on the tranny itself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The C30 T5 is FWD, the XC90 V8 is AWD. Do an internet search of AW55/50SN (/51SN?) and TF-80SC transmission images, you'll see the engine mounting points are quite different. There was a TF-80SC mated to a 5-cylinder in the R series for a couple years, think that's as close as you're going to get to a direct fitment with the 6-speed automatic, and even that may be a challenge in this car.

Never seen a post with trying to shoehorn a V8 into a C30 bay, I'm guessing it's technically possible but it'll take quite an amount of re-work. Front axle location, mounts, hoses, whole bunch of things need to align.

After getting past the mechanical, there's the software module (ECM/TCM as one example) interoperability to contend with.

I'm probably oversimplifying but I don't see how reasonable this would be to attempt, given all the differences.
Google find me some other info that the TF80 was used in whiteblock, but also said the bellhousing is removable from the TF80, so back to unknown what the B8 bellhousing pattern is.
I've been told a B8 has been put in a C30, of course it would be a lot of work, i am no stranger to lots of work, but I am trying to reform myself as I only have so much work left in me.
I could use the TF80 in the C30, OR this OR that, I just want to understand my options.

Might just use the V8 in a completely different case, like in my jetboat where it doesn't need a transmission. This XC90 has a bad transmission. I could just fix the trans. ;)
Always possible to make adapters too.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Grab a copy of VIDA- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?481385-VIDA-Dice-2014D-VM-Image-Download-Link ,get it installed on a PC then do some poking around and decide for yourself.

Here's a thread that suggests the TF-80SC will bolt up to a 5-cylinder (in contrast to what I had noted earlier)- https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?175036-Aisin-Warner-TF80SC-compatible-with-04-T5-engine and I'm adding a gratuitous fact-filled link for a number of things Volvo in the event it'll help with cross references- http://www.nuceng.ca/bill/volvo/volvohome.htm

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've just gone ahead and pulling a B8 engine at the junkyard, so I will be able to see if it has the same trans bolt-up as the I5 engines (i have two in the shop).
I got a but stuck seeing how to unbolt the trans, looks like the tq unbolts via the starter hole, and now I need to figure out how to remove the starter, did not look obvious.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only did some rough measurements, but it looks like the v8 bellhousing has the same mounting location pins as the I6. The bottom bolts match up, but the upper mounting bolts are different.
So while I did not confirm by bolting them up, which I will try next week, the v8 should bolt-up with some minor mods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts