SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
05 XC90 V8 Swap Project AKA The Swedish Whale

So I've fixed up my fair share of Volvos, 6 - V70's, 3 - S60's, even a 2.5T XC90. I looked at a few V8's in the past but couldn't justify the cost that people were asking for the number of issues that they came with. But I really wanted to get my hands into a V8 and now it's pretty easy to find them broken and in need of love.

So doing my usual window shopping on FB marketplace I come across this XC90 V8 from 05 with 155K that has a broken timing chain. Fully loaded with Nav, Premium Audio, HID headlights and heated seats.

We agree on a price and I take the 4-hour trip down to go pick her up.

Of course all the usual problems besides the blown engine, headliner coming down, headlights need to be polished. Amazingly though the CD changer still works.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So after getting the car home and checking compression and finding none on any cylinders I pretty much knew it was going to be cheaper and easier at this point to find another engine.

So after some back and forth in this thread https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?598075-05-XC90-V8-Swap-with-S80-V8-Engine I settled on an engine from a 07 S80 with 90k, they seem to go for less than the XC90 engines and often are lower miles.

The donor car

The engine just came in today, super pleased with how they removed it, everything was unplugged and nothing was damaged.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Was able to pull the engine out of the top, I don't have a lift or any way to get the body up high enough to slide the engine under. I had to pop off the bumper and loosen the rad core support in order to bring the engine forward enough to clear the angle gear.

But you just bring the front of the engine forward and with a load leveler it comes up and right out.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'm impressed the salvage yard that provided the donor engine did such a clean job.
Most times they go to town with snips and reciprocating saw and hack away at connectors, lines and hoses to speed up the removal process.
Have you been able to get into the donor engine and assess its health?

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Wow, a broken timing chain? Haven't run into that yet. Good luck with your project. Are you going to replace all the common oil leak sources while the engine is out?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm impressed the salvage yard that provided the donor engine did such a clean job.
Most times they go to town with snips and reciprocating saw and hack away at connectors, lines and hoses to speed up the removal process.
Have you been able to get into the donor engine and assess its health?
So far I just pulled one coil pack to check for a leaking valve cover and looked down the oil fill cap at the top of the timing chain and the insides are extremely clean.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, a broken timing chain? Haven't run into that yet. Good luck with your project. Are you going to replace all the common oil leak sources while the engine is out?
The chain diagnosis was from the seller, personally, I think it's a balance shaft bearing failure and the chain just lost tension and slipped. I'll take the timing cover off just for poops and laughs later on.

Yes, I plan to replace the valve, timing cover and rear main seals, i'm also going to replace the spark plugs and serpentine idler bearings while everything is easy to get to.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I am super impressed you got that monster out of the top without removing the hood and too much other deconstruction.

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am super impressed you got that monster out of the top without removing the hood and too much other deconstruction.
Me too! I wasn't too sure what other option I had without lift access. I'm sure going back in is going to be fun.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The chain diagnosis was from the seller, personally, I think it's a balance shaft bearing failure and the chain just lost tension and slipped. I'll take the timing cover off just for poops and laughs later on.

Yes, I plan to replace the valve, timing cover and rear main seals, i'm also going to replace the spark plugs and serpentine idler bearings while everything is easy to get to.
Most likely the shaft. I've yet to see anyone with a failed timing chain before ~235,000 miles - and this was on a Nissan KA24DE engine.
If you can freshen up the old engine, who knows, maybe you may be able to find a buyer and recoup some of your outlay.

Out of curiosity, how much did the salvage yard charge you for the motor?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most likely the shaft. I've yet to see anyone with a failed timing chain before ~235,000 miles - and this was on a Nissan KA24DE engine.
If you can freshen up the old engine, who knows, maybe you may be able to find a buyer and recoup some of your outlay.

Out of curiosity, how much did the salvage yard charge you for the motor?
I doubt it'll be worth it for the old engine, 4 cylinders have bent intake valves, not sure how many exhausts but I'm sure at least just as many. Then there is the balance shaft itself, likely has torn itself up. Probably worth more just taking the whole thing to the local scrapyard.

$750 shipped to my front door

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I doubt it'll be worth it for the old engine, 4 cylinders have bent intake valves, not sure how many exhausts but I'm sure at least just as many. Then there is the balance shaft itself, likely has torn itself up. Probably worth more just taking the whole thing to the local scrapyard.

Holy crap! You got an entire engine for $750!
That's less than what I'm going to have to spend to replace ONE passenger side, active bending headlight (used).

·
Registered
2005 V8 XC90
148 Posts

whaoo amazing. thanks for posting, and great pictures. i will consider the engine swap if i my CB shaft bearing give up. but you got a serious good deal with the donor seems like.
Curious how long did he take you to get the engine disconnected and out ?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
whaoo amazing. thanks for posting, and great pictures. i will consider the engine swap if i my CB shaft bearing give up. but you got a serious good deal with the donor seems like.
Curious how long did he take you to get the engine disconnected and out ?
About 6 hours, but a good 2 of those I spent fighting with the stupid intermediate exhaust pipes that go under the subframe, I ended up just cutting them, the studs are so rusted I couldn't get them apart. Either going to find a used set of intermediates or just weld mine back together.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Does anyone need a good S80 V8 Engine Harness?

Yanked the harness off the new engine today, waiting for my FCP order to come in with timing and valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Pulled the covers off the engine today, the old gaskets were actually pretty supple and probably could have lasted a while longer. But they are cheap and it's so easy to do now.

Interesting how the engine is dirtier towards the trans side, I assume less oil flow in that area

Cleaned up the timing cover, installed the new gaskets and applied the Wurth sealant as outlined in VIDA. The wurth sealant only has a 5 minute working time so had to hustle to get the cover back on.

Today I'm going to clean the valve covers and reinstall them with new gaskets and start reassembling the intake manifold.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Probably runs hotter on the back. Any plans to Seafoam the engine? Probably a good time to blow out any accumulated deposits and crud.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probably runs hotter on the back. Any plans to Seafoam the engine? Probably a good time to blow out any accumulated deposits and crud.
Nope, I typically just do a few short changes with a high detergent synthetic oil. I have had very good luck with this on other unknown engines. I have been cleaning everything else like the intake manifold and valve covers manually.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Got a bunch done on the engine today, almost completely back together. I botched the RMS installation so now I'm waiting on another one from FCP, for some reason they have been super slow to ship lately.

I have one VVT connector to fix and I need to replace the terminals on the ground wires for the coil packs

Degreased and pressure washed the intake manifold
Removed and cleaned all the injectors, managed to break some, but thankfully had others from my old engine
Cleaned and mounted the alternator
Mounted the PS pump
Installed new spark plugs

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Since you have the engine out, might consider doing a new regulator for the alternator. Volvo PN 30667453 for $261 or Bosch PN F00M346097 for $30. Do it now since you'll never be able to get to it as easily. And go super easy on the tensioner when you decide to put the serp belt back on, needs to be slow and constant pressure to compress the fluid damper inside the spring assembly.

Good luck with the rest of your job.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts