1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I can tell from Edmunds, KBB and NADA there was, for the V8:
* A "Sport" version in 2007 and 2008, and then
* An "R-Design" version in 2009.

Any significant differences between them?

Also, interestingly, the XC90's 2009 brochure doesn't mention a V8 "R-Design", only an I6...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks ggleavitt. So there indeed seems to be little difference between the 07 & 08 Sport and 09 R-Design.

And thanks PAX5 for the brochure: after a closer look the one I have was... printed in 2009 but for "MY10H"...

·
Registered
836 Posts
The 09 R-Design is definitely unique ... and it appears, one of a kind, available only in 2009.

What I want to know is what is so different about the seats in the 09 R-Design from the 07 and 08 Sport version? Visually they appear identical.

·
Administrator
55,929 Posts
The 09 R-Design is definitely unique ... and it appears, one of a kind, available only in 2009.

What I want to know is what is so different about the seats in the 09 R-Design from the 07 and 08 Sport version? Visually they appear identical.
Based on what I've felt, it seems like the lower seat foam was changed slightly for '09-'14. I sit a bit lower in our 2012 R-Design seats.

2009:
- First year for "Silk Metal" mirror covers vs the painted covers ('07-'08)
- Quad exhaust tips (two on each side)
- first year for 20-inch Cratus wheels in the U.S.
- last year for the square Volvo logo on the grille. Round logo grilles come with chrome accent trim instead of the silk/brushed metal.
- last year for the V8 in the R-Design model

2010:
- R-Design offered with only the 3.2 I6 in the U.S.
- V8 continued in the Executive trim level

2011:
- last year of the V8

2013:
- R-Design leather went to all black
- new door panel inserts with white stitching
- light blue instrument cluster text, and compass direction letter
- DRLs moved to fog lights and switched LEDs
- LED rear tail lights
- body colored lower panels

2014:
- leather grip handle loop added to rear hatch handle

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thanks [email protected], that's helpful.

Here's a pic of a 2009 XC90 R-Design driver seat I am looking at. I haven't sat in it yet, but it sure looks identical to the 2007's and 2008's I've seen ...

·
Administrator
55,929 Posts
Yes, all the seats look the same. The seats do look identical. I was not expecting to fee a difference ... actually, I expected the 2007 seats to be worn a bit more than our 2012, but the 2012 I sit "down in" a tad more - difficult to describe.

Volvo did something similar with the 2004 S60R/V70R seats vs the '05-'07, the seat foam was changed - visually, they look the same.

The 2009-2014 have a subtle R-Design logo. It looks something like this:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Can see the difference in the steering wheel bottom "Rdesign" as well in the upper left of the earlier photo. Interesting...

·
Registered
836 Posts
Here's the seat in my 2011 XC90 Executive (sold), with perforated "soft" leather and ventilation.

Not my favorite seat on long journeys because the inflatable bladder made the seat bottom hard and stiff and took away the comfort the Volvo seats are known for.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts