SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just beautiful, something XC90 owners should consider, just change the outlook of the XC90 completely.

1. Current Tail Lights

2. Right out of the box

3. Will fit older rear light designs as well

4. New tail lights lighted up

·
Registered
261 Posts
source?

Source/price for these? Is this simply the newest Volvo tail light, or from an aftermarket supplier?

·
Registered
365 Posts
That is seriously "badass". I would be interested in details too!

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
What resistor size (and retailer) and which wire(s) did you attach it to get the LEDs to work? or was it simply plug and play?

·
Registered
143 Posts
You need 2 x 50W resistors. I picked up mine from eBay for $4,49 incl. shipping (http://www.ebay.com/itm/130715239352). There are three wires going to the "LED part" of your lamp, you need to connect the resistor between the YELLOW and BLACK wire. Behind the lamp, in the chassis, there's a rectangular piece of foam, rip it off and put the resistor in there. They will get quite warm when you brake so it should not touch anything plastic. Installation is done in a few minutes.

Here's my 2003 :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have the part number of these handy as it was purchased for me by another XC90 owner, however you could just get them from any Volvo stockist easily and the connectors are plug and play. Comes comple with the harness and bulbs and ready to rock and roll/

·
Registered
405 Posts
The earlier MY for this style is 2007. It won't fit 2003 - 2006.

·
Registered
953 Posts
part numbers are

how to obtain them, beats me

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
part numbers are

how to obtain them, beats me
Those P/Ns are about $170 ($263 retail) each from DW Volvo or Tasca.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have done this on my 2007 XC90 V8 Sport. Thank you for the resistor information!!!! ;) Agreed it looks very SE-XC

I also changed the day time running lights to LED but I am throwing a code still. Next upgrade will be the LED Foglights, but I have to replace my B Pillars first (Stupid Seatbelt)!!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have done this on my 2007 XC90 V8 Sport. Thank you for the resistor information!!!! ;) Agreed it looks very SE-XC

I also changed the day time running lights to LED but I am throwing a code still. Next upgrade will be the LED Foglights, but I have to replace my B Pillars first (Stupid Seatbelt)!!!
How much did you pay for both tails?
As per the b pillars, you have to handle the seatbelt back to the pillar, not a stupid seatbelt, but awful design (-:

·
Registered
203 Posts
It was less than $400 shipped for both tail lights. I ordered the parts from a place in Texas.

·
Registered
261 Posts
LED tail light retrofit

Does that include the resistors mentioned above, and is it all Volvo factory parts? One of the Volvo parts guys I asked about this retrofit said Volvo told them absolutely not - but perhaps the correct answer is the retrofit won't work WITHOUT using the resistors?

Best price I have seen is $469 on ebay - any additional info on the source you found?

It was less than $400 shipped for both tail lights. I ordered the parts from a place in Texas.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Theres a guy on ebay selling the the kit for 460 ish for 2007 my on and for 600 ish for 2003 - 2005-6 my's. Apparently, for 2003 to 2006 you need to replace the uppers as well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The tailights are 100% all Volvo parts (except the resistors mentioned).

Does that include the resistors mentioned above, and is it all Volvo factory parts? One of the Volvo parts guys I asked about this retrofit said Volvo told them absolutely not - but perhaps the correct answer is the retrofit won't work WITHOUT using the resistors?

Best price I have seen is $469 on ebay - any additional info on the source you found?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is accurate, though with some creativity you can reuse back the upper portion. Saw a guy who did it and it looks perfectly normal to me.
If I see his car again I will try to take a picture of the 2005 XC90.

Theres a guy on ebay selling the the kit for 460 ish for 2007 my on and for 600 ish for 2003 - 2005-6 my's. Apparently, for 2003 to 2006 you need to replace the uppers as well.

·
Registered
699 Posts
so other than having to add the resistors, this is plug and play? IE the connectors of the new lights fit the connectors of the old lights?

Very interested

1 - 20 of 221 Posts