SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These started to be shipped out with new XC90's a few months back.

This was a simple plug and play project, foggies looks refreshed now.

XC90 very noticeable during day, good feature for safety.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I take it not even a resistor was necessary to get them to work?

Also, did you need to replace the entire fog light unit, or just swap out the old halogen with the new LED?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thank you sir!

One more question: can they still be used as fogs, or can they only be used as DRL's once you do the swap?

·
Registered
143 Posts
You use them in exactly the same way as the fogs. According to Volvo, the software to make them work as DRLs can´t be installed in older models.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The linked page says this:

"On the American market Daytime running lights, LED cannot be installed on cars equipped with Active Bending Lights."

Does this mean that US/CDN XC90's with ABL can't have the LED's fitted, or simply that the LED's will function as fogs, just like bjoroy stated?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Active bending lights as in when the steering turns the light follows.

The DRL fog lamps works well with my active bending lights.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yep, I know what ABL's are...mine has those as well.

I take it your XC90 is a European model? (unless the plate was for display) This would imply no inherent compatibility issues w/ the LED fogs... The statement's not terribly clear regarding what happens with US/CAN models.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only way to know is to try it.
At least now you know that the active bending lights works for my ride with ABL.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
The only way to know is to try it.
At least now you know that the active bending lights works for my ride with ABL.
Ehh, I wouldn't try. I am sure they are expensive. I would hate to get stuck with the parts! The website says for North American with ABL's (so Canada/US) you can't have the LED's....A real bummer since I would love to put those on my 08 Sport. Really too bad.
Again, European models gets the better lights!! LOL

·
Registered
143 Posts
That restriction is probably just for the new cars that would use the lamps as DRLs. In the older cars it would be just the same as fog lamps but with brighter bulbs.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
That restriction is probably just for the new cars that would use the lamps as DRLs. In the older cars it would be just the same as fog lamps but with brighter bulbs.
But the new cars come with the LED fogs, right?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Kris, they are not fog lights but, ratherm driving lights and yes, they are LED.
I called Barrier Volvo and they got their parts helpline on the call. They are stating my car cannot be retrofitted with the LED driving lights.
Darn, would be nice though. Would love that uniform look between xenon's and LED's.

·
Registered
487 Posts
^
They said that about the headlights and taillights when the refresh came out in 2007, yet everything fit just fine.

Do we have a price on these yet? And just to confirm, these can be direct swaps for the existing fog lights on older models and they would still retain their 'fog' function (ie: activated/deactivated by the fog light switch)?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I called Barrier Volvo and they got their parts helpline on the call. They are stating my car cannot be retrofitted with the LED driving lights.
Darn, would be nice though. Would love that uniform look between xenon's and LED's.
As someone mentioned don t always follow what the parts guys tell you.
Also if you want uniform look and brighter light on the fogs you could use aftermarket bulbs, i replaced them on my wife sport right after picking it up with xtreme white PIAA, they work perfect, four yrs with no problems at all.

·
Registered
564 Posts
My parts people said that no XC90's at all have satellite radio capabilities - so much for their word when it's something outside of the realm of regular servicing.

I'm anxious to see a North American XC90 w/ ABL's that has the LED fogs successfully retrofitted! (as fogs, not DRL's)

·
Registered
365 Posts
My parts people said that no XC90's at all have satellite radio capabilities - so much for their word when it's something outside of the realm of regular servicing.
That's hysterical. All that music must be in my head.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts