SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very close to buying a 2007 XC90 Sport V8 it has an oil pressure issue. The dealer is trying to fix it. But I wonder is this a common problem. Should I let them fix this problem, or run any thoughts?

·
Registered
838 Posts
How many miles does this XC90 have? I would be concerned that this SUV was not maintained properly, were the oil changes done regularly. I think if it were me, I would walk away, unless they can prove that the XC90 was maintained properly and a specific part failed.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I "third" the above two posts... as much as you may like, another will come along. I say, walk away. You could soak a lot of extra money into it otherwise...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It had 85000 miles. I was told today the oil pressure is fine. The past was an oil pressure switch, which kept making the low pressure light come on. The part came in this morning. I'll hear more about it tomorrow.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Good luck. Definitely go over the service history and verify, perhaps in writing from the dealership with a warranty that the motor is good to go.

85,000 is low mileage and it would be unusual to have an internal mechanical failure ... anything is possible but having a switch go bad sounds more reasonable. BUT proceed with some caution until you are 100% comfortable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The reason the low oil light came on in the first place was due to a faulty Oil Level Sensor. I would still like to find a good Volvo Technician in the Lexington Kentucky to look it over.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Oil level sensor switch seems to be a common failure. At least it is simple and cheap. I had a faulty one way back when ours was CPO and the dealer took care of it. I think they are just extra sensitive. I have heard that oil that is very dirty will cause the sensor to trigger even if the level is fine. My VR also had a bad sensor.

More importantly make sure the transmission shifts well and the AWD works. These V8s seem to be very reliable. Until I just had recent valve body issues and an AWD failure at 115k this was one of the most reliable vehicles we have owned - just one unscheduled repair which was the PS pump (a common Volvo weak point). Just brakes, tires and oil changes.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
If the OP looked at the car a week later than he did, and posted that he was looking at an 07 V8 with 85k miles you guys would be telling him to buy it like white on rice.

OP - get a PPI from an independent shop, confirm it is just the sensor, and if all else is fine, go for it like white on rice. if not, run forrest run!

·
Registered
668 Posts
If the OP looked at the car a week later than he did, and posted that he was looking at an 07 V8 with 85k miles you guys would be telling him to buy it like white on rice.

OP - get a PPI from an independent shop, confirm it is just the sensor, and if all else is fine, go for it like white on rice. if not, run forrest run!
All valid and true. However, given that it had an oil pressure issue as indicated by the light, I say it needs special attention. I would likely pull the valve cover and make sure that the engine did not appeared to be sludged. You never know what you are getting when you buy used, but you should do your due diligence based on the information you have on hand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I drove 6 hours to Lexington Kentucky with my wife and daughter. The sensor level and switch were fixed. I took it to another independent had it checked out. Great oil pressure, no leaks. Exhaust a little rusty, brake fluid dirty, cabin air filter needs changing. I'm the proud owner of a Sapphire XC Sport. Thanks for all of your help and input.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Ok, I drove 6 hours to Lexington Kentucky with my wife and daughter. The sensor level and switch were fixed. I took it to another independent had it checked out. Great oil pressure, no leaks. Exhaust a little rusty, brake fluid dirty, cabin air filter needs changing. I'm the proud owner of a Sapphire XC Sport. Thanks for all of your help and input.
Congrats!! Change all the fluids if there is no service record and hope you enjoy it for many miles!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would like to post some pictures. But I can't figure it out. I put some on Flickr, that's the best I could do.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
I would like to post some pictures. But I can't figure it out. I put some on Flickr, that's the best I could do.
Use
tags around your Flickr URL. On flicker, click on the Share arrow and you will get a pop-up window to select the size of the image.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm diggin' the black... very nice. If we buy another XC90, it's going to be black. We have a silver 06' now with 104k... and love it.

Congrats!:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts