SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello...!

Patrick here.....

Looking to pick up a 2006-2009 Volvo XC90 V8.

Looking for a "crash course" on getting to know this SUV/ manufacturer a little better.

Is there a post/ thread on common problems list with this SUV? (particularly the V8)

Anything I should look for while test driving/ shopping?

I have a HUGE preference to having the SUV equipped with the Factory aluminum running boards, but as many of you probably know, most don't have these on them. Upon looking on Ebay, I see there are quite a few sellers selling OEM ones....Would a set of these bolt right on, or is there some additional work required on the chassis to properly install an OEM set?

Why V8? Had turbos for a while & wanted to go normally aspirated for a while.

Thanks for the help/ guidance everyone~!

~Patrick

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hello...!

Patrick here.....

Looking to pick up a 2006-2009 Volvo XC90 V8.

Looking for a "crash course" on getting to know this SUV/ manufacturer a little better.

Is there a post/ thread on common problems list with this SUV? (particularly the V8)

Anything I should look for while test driving/ shopping?

I have a HUGE preference to having the SUV equipped with the Factory aluminum running boards, but as many of you probably know, most don't have these on them. Upon looking on Ebay, I see there are quite a few sellers selling OEM ones....Would a set of these bolt right on, or is there some additional work required on the chassis to properly install an OEM set?

Why V8? Had turbos for a while & wanted to go normally aspirated for a while.

Thanks for the help/ guidance everyone~!

~Patrick
Patrick,
I am going through the process right nowI have two large concerns about the V8 XC90. The first being the counter balance shaft bearings. There were many early 2005's where these sealed bearings failed prematurely. After engine serail number 6833 there was a fix implemented. I think everyone agrees that part of the fix was drilling a weep hole so that moister could escape and prevent corrosion. There has also been speculation that Volvo also changed the bearing spec after 6833. My issue is that for all I have read it is still a sealed bearing design such that when the bearing fails it will likely take the engine with it. To me it is a poor design and I will always be concerned about it. With that said I have not read about any such bearing failure after engine 6833, so it may practically be a non-issue. Although when I get to test drive the car I am looking at (hopefully thursday) I will be paying careful attention listening for bearing whine coming from the engine. Otherwise there does not seem to be a good way to check for this. The other issue of concern is that the torque rating for the transmission is the same as the max torque for the engine. Also Volvo has had it's share of transmission issues. See the: 00-01 XC70, T-6 XC90 and some have reported issues with the V-8 XC90 transmission as well. I plan to test drive the car as if I stole it to see if I can get the tranny to slip, flare, shudder, shift hard, etc. If it does not and I buy the car, then I will be completing the modified flush procedure, which can be found here and other sites. Otherwise you should check the suspension, cv boots and joints, tread wear, undercarriage, etc just like you would for any other used car. At the end of the day I think that given proper preventative maintenance the XC90 is a great car and should last well over 250000 miles. However you do not get to 250K without addressing issues as they present themselves. Good luck on the search.

I also suggest you start at the beginning of this forum and work your way backwards. There is a lot of info here that will give you all kinds of nightmares. However, there is a fair number of these vehicles on the road and the only people that post about problems are those who have them. There are likely a lot of people who have never had a problem with their XC90 and thus have not thought to ask the questions or complain about home an $$$$ vehicle should not have Y problem. The good news is that by reading others tribulations you can get a good idea of the specific things that you should be looking for and also likely know the fix.

·
Registered
572 Posts

~Patrick
As long as they provide the hardware with them, then yes, they will bolt right up.

HOWEVER, the running boards SUCK! Unless you're loading stuff on roof racks on a regular basis, they'll just be getting your pants filthy getting in & out of the vehicle. And they make lifting the car on a hoist a PITA. IMHO of course.

·
Administrator
55,895 Posts
We owned a 2003 2.5T with IPD tune and a 2007 V8 XC90 Sport.

V8
- go for the Sport/R-Design version - better trim, seats, sport steering wheel, suspension, etc.
- 2009 V8 R-Design offers quad exhaust (dual tips out both sides, looks nice!)
- if you drive like an enthusiast expect 12-13mpg around town ( yes I was getting 12mpg :) )
- 16-17mpg around town for easy driving, 23/24 on the highway
- Aside from fuel economy, the XC90 Sport has been one of my most enjoyable Volvo's to date

2.5T (worth considering)
- 2006 was the last year for the 5cyl turbo
- a proven engine with decent fuel economy (24 mpg highway is very achievable, 19-21 around town)
- tunable if you want more power
- the IPD tune improve highway passing power; the stock 2.5T runs out of breath and the ECU tune gives it a little more boost where it needs it.

2007+
- AUX input available in the center console
- exterior trim changes
- 3.2 6cyl replaced 2.5T. The 3.2 is challenged in the XC90 and the fuel economy is equal to the V8, so go V8

ALL
- Volvo chose to use the MOST fiber optic system for audio entertainment. If you want to swap in a head unit or upgrade the stereo, it is difficult and for most people not a realistic option. The factory Dynaudio sounds pretty good out of the box. Find a XC90 with the rear seat entertainment option and the kids will be set.
- some have gone through rear wheel bearings
- check brake pads on used ones, some owners go through brakes more than others.

I think the XC90 in R-Design trim with the 20" Crator wheels is still a great looking SUV 10yrs after its introduction.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I think 2007 and later has dual rear set entertainment; that is, each screen has it's own DVD player.
Our 2006 has a single player in the center arm rest (between the front seats). It takes up a lot
of room and is kind of bulky. The dual system seems much nicer.

The V8 Ocean Race editions have a lot of nice features as part of that package. I understand the
blue color was never very popular (conservative Volvo owners) but I think it is fantastic.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
That ocean race blue is one of my favorites. :thumbup:

Rica also offers a tune for the V8 xc90's. Not as large a jump as the turbo models...but it is available should you want it :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
At 50,000 miles I recently had a transmission and anti-freeze flush on my '08. As engines have improved to the point not much work is required for the life of the engine, the next thing to fail is the transmissions. When I was a kid it was "normal" to overhaul an engine at 60-70,000 miles. There would be a class action suit if that happened today. Now the engines normally outlast the next in line - the transmission. Therefore I "over-maintain" transmission fluid changes.

While at the dealer I asked about the counter balance bearings. Was informed they have done two engine repairs on POST '06 V8s because of the bearing failure.

To be in this market point Volvo needed a V8. There wasn't room and Volvo didn't have the resources to develop their own in the time required so hired Yamaha. V8s are naturally balanced, but in order to fit the engine in the space available, the 90 degree V8 was reduced to 60 degrees (I think 60), thereby reducing that natural balance to the point it did not meet Volvo's NVH limits and requiring the counter balance shaft. It was an "add-on" and stuck in the middle of the "V." Poor choice.

A sealed bearing is just that, a sealed bearing. There is only so much that can be done with it. Yeah, the best quality bearing is fine, but at some point it's going to fail. When is the question. Just like the hub bearing on the front axle, techs will tell you they have seen them fail backing them off the truck when new, others last 3-400,000 miles. ...but they will fail.

Knowing this has made me choose to trade my '08 V8 in a lot earlier than I otherwise would. Probably between 80-90,000 miles - assuming the bearing doesn't fail before hand. I'm pretty sure it won't, still it's a crap shoot. Today, tomorrow, perhaps not during the time I own the vehicle (that's what I'm counting on). But I do very much love that vehicle, the best (so far) I've ever owned in my long life. Just know and accept the risks going in. Yeah, I'd buy another V8 knowing what I know. Just won't keep it as long as I otherwise would.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts