SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering installing some kind of cold air filter on my 2008 XC90 V8, but have a few questions:
1. Is it worth it, or better to just stick with the stock filter?
2. If it is worth it, then recommendations on brands/types of filters
3. How easy is it to install?
4. Positives/Negatives from anyone else who has done this already

I'm not looking for better performance or a particular sound (I already have that with the muffler delete), I just want the car to breathe a little easier, especially in the higher RPMs. Also not looking to spend very much money.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
You're best bet is to just stick with the oem filter and change it when it's dirty. There's probably no good reason to install a cai, especially on these cars. The oem filter flows very well. There's just nothing to gain by doing it.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
784 Posts
Agreed. If looks or sound really don't make any difference to you then stick with the paper one. Or at most a K&N if you've just got that mod itch.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Change the fuel filter, that'll help much more than an intake. Make sure your plugs are gapped right or change them if they're due. Strut brace? There's things you can do to make it handle better or run better if you feel like doing something.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you look at the ductwork, the V8 already has a fairly well-designed cold air intake. See how it draws ambient air from the main grille opening, in front of the radiator and AC condensor? I doubt that much improvement could be found over this design.

For inexpensive upgrades, try the ipd poly subframe inserts along with the poly engine/strut bar inserts. These, along with good bushings and endlinks, will tighten up the front end nicely and make the car even more fun to drive. Put the rest of your modification money into a fund for expected repairs, which of course can turn out pricey on a V8 XC90.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
All the XCs have Cold Air systems, if you look at the airbox design it takes air from a high pressure point at the top of the grill mounted on the hood itself. From there it snakes over the radiator and into the bottom of the airbox...
This is designed in such a way to allow the vehicle to travel through certain amount of standing water without injesting water into the intake system.
It also is designed to protect against debree and dust in entering the airbox itself.

Also all airbox systems starting form the 90s are designed to perform at 150% efficiency. so as the filter clogs up by the time its ready for replacement you are at maybe 100% efficiency so you never see decrease in performance as it clogs up.
I wouldn't spend a single dime on a different intake design.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Also all airbox systems starting form the 90s are designed to perform at 150% efficiency. so as the filter clogs up by the time its ready for replacement you are at maybe 100% efficiency so you never see decrease in performance as it clogs up.
Brilliant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts