SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Been gleaning from the forum for sometime now, first post.

I have an 06' XC90 V8 with the premium audio option;
I am interested if anyone has had experience or insight into upgrading the amp (4x70watt) in a 06'XC90 with premium sound with the 08' Premium amp (5X130watt)?

Specifically wondering if the existing premium audio software (Doubly Prologic II??) integrated into the 06' will accept the class D amplifier?

My hope, dream and desire would be to swap the Amp out, benefit form the additional power, and swap out premium speakers for the Dynaudio ones over time (have one or two that need replacing anyway)and be able to do so "Plug and play" without a software upgrade.
I know, it may be a lofty hope and dream but the desire is strong! :p

I have searched for some time, here and elsewhere, with no luck finding an answer or insight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I understand the question is a little narrow/specific, in that it’s specific to a only a couple years, trim and audio.

But not sure if the silence is because no one has any insights/experience with the attempted swap or if I just need to work on my patiences??

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,297 Posts
I am assuming you have already perused through the posts and search. So, you are aware of specificities when it comes to the main units and you are right to question if Dolby Prologic can work between amps. The amps, well those could be swapped for additional power. I used a 2006 premium amp in my non-premium audio to bring more power to the speakers. It works. Dolby processing, not sure.

You might be the only one or one of the few who is trying this. Best way to know is to order your amp from eBay and let us know if it works. You would be helping the XC90 community with your findings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ChitownV, thanks for taking the time.

You are correct, I had spent a fair bit of time searching for a thread or write up around the specific upgrade I am looking to do. Lots on upgrading from performance to premium, but I couldn’t find anything on ~2006 premium (4x40-watt) to 2007 V8 premium (5x130-watt).

Good call to just give it a go and find out. Going to start looking for the parts, I’ll check back in with results when it is done. 🤙

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I would swap the amps and see, but you might wanna stick with the 06 premium speakers. I would say they're on par with the dynaudio, having own both myself. The dynaudio just as a little better mid-range, and I swear the non-dynaudio premium setup to me felt like it had a little more low end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts