SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Looking for a new transmission for my 07 xc90 v8, has 127K and runs great, i was wondering of anyone knew if the v8 is a special transmission all its own, or if i can use any 07 or 08 transmission
Thanks
SS

·
Registered
668 Posts
Hi Looking for a new transmission for my 07 xc90 v8, has 127K and runs great, i was wondering of anyone knew if the v8 is a special transmission all its own, or if i can use any 07 or 08 transmission
Thanks
SS

The transmission is not special, but the bell housing/ torque converter for the V8 may be different than the I6. The transmission is fairly common in other imports but you will need the correct valave body.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not that I have any answers for you but more interested in what went wrong with your original box.
Am new to volvo and just purchased a 2007 xc90 v8 myself. Has 105,000 on the clock. Plan on doing intermediate services with mine 15,000km seems a bit long winded

Anthony bossy

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not that I have any answers for you but more interested in what went wrong with your original box.
Am new to volvo and just purchased a 2007 xc90 v8 myself. Has 105,000 on the clock. Plan on doing intermediate services with mine 15,000km seems a bit long winded

Anthony bossy
Hi, The Transmission does this kind of hunt thing, i'm going to first get the BG Flush, and the software reprogrammed by a Volvo Dealer, and see if that takes care of it, the car runs strong with no missed shifts, or flare that i can feel. I have been told by a few shops that it needs a new transmission (Not the dealer yet, i think if these local shops that dont know the car very well, they just suggest replacement, but no real diagnostics have been done.) but the car has been running great, and never hunts when cruising at 75 MPH down the highway, only under part throttle, or when i release the throttle to coast. I think that a safe tranny fluid interval is 30-45K miles, i have done this with our 08 XC90 6 Cyl, and have had zero issues in 101K miles. I will keep you updated as to what happens, going in on Friday

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like your all on top of it. Flush may just do the trick. Has an Isuzu 4x4 that started in a similar fashion but that's a very simple box in comparison. The clutches let go and sent fine debris through the whole box and was too much for the filter. Oil began breaking down as was getting too hot. that was the end of that. Would have Had to give up my first born to cover the costs had the car not been under warranty. We had only traveled 900km from Melbourne to Adelaide Australia. Ended up being the auto trans computer which wasn't selecting correct solenoids. Going to pop a small cooler on my xc90. Small cost for extra insurance. Maybe worth a thought

Anthony bossy

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i spent some time driving this car again (Its been in the shop for a week) today the classic symptoms appeared, it will rev up like the clutch is slipping and then slam into gear it does it almost every shift, so i guess i'm thinking it needs a new trans based on what i'm reading here. Is it still worth it to do the BG Flush, or am i throwing 200.00 away that need to put towards a used trans? It also needs the ecm rebuilt i think as its throwing a code PO506

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had an auto trans which did similar things. Was short on trans fluid! It did leak!Also had another car that had the trany removed and rebuilt. They had it for a few weeks. They adventually gave it back saying they couldn't fix it. Took it to another mob who re built it again. They bagged the last mob saying they didn't do a good rebuild. They put it back together and then still showed similar symptoms. They replaced the trans computer and problem solved. Very costly experience for us. $200 flush is a small % of replacement/rebuild. Fluids and 1 hrs labour if that.

Anthony bossy

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had an auto trans which did similar things. Was short on trans fluid! It did leak!Also had another car that had the trany removed and rebuilt. They had it for a few weeks. They adventually gave it back saying they couldn't fix it. Took it to another mob who re built it again. They bagged the last mob saying they didn't do a good rebuild. They put it back together and then still showed similar symptoms. They replaced the trans computer and problem solved. Very costly experience for us. $200 flush is a small % of replacement/rebuild. Fluids and 1 hrs labour if that.

Anthony bossy

Very interesting, could that be the PO506 code, the trans computer, i will find a used one as that should be pretty cheap, or maybe xmodex will rebuild, going to do the fluid on Monday, thanks otherwise this car is awesome

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Fluid changed using a BG Machine, replaced with Toyota T-IV and the results are fairly miraculous from a slipping, flaring thunking transmission to an utterly smooth transmission with only very occasional hunting for like a second, will be going into the dealer for a transmission re-program and i hope some miles before i have to do anything major. The old fluid was very dark, and it was a quart overfull but keeping my fingers crossed has gone about 200 miles and getting smoother every mile. WOW

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your transmission needs a new valve body.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your transmission needs a new valve body.
Would that help with the tranny trying to drive over the brakes when stopped at a light, (when i'm stopped at a light the transmission is still under load trying to pull away)it got much better after fluid flush, but you can feel it still

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not sure what you mean by pressurized flush, he put in a flush/cleaning product made by BG, he took it for a 3 mile drive, he than hooked it up to a machine (Labeled BG) dumped 15 quarts of Toyota T-IV into it, started the car, and i watched all the nasty black fluid flow into the machine, and all the clean new red fluid got sucked into the car. It was however overfull by a quart of the old fluid, and now sits right at the level marker. It took maybe 45 Min total.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts