SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I'm getting my hitch installed in the next few days. I wish Volvo could have come up with a more elegant solution than cutting the bumper and that funky, tumor like, cover. I was considering wrapping the cover with brushed aluminium vinyl.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for the pics. I'm getting my hitch installed in the next few days. I wish Volvo could have come up with a more elegant solution than cutting the bumper and that funky, tumor like, cover. I was considering wrapping the cover with brushed aluminium vinyl.
The problem is, once you accept this installation, if they figure out the elegant way, you probably will need replace a new bumper, although I think the elegant way won't come up anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is the one in the picture the retractable semi-electrical towbar or a fixed one? I understand that there are several available to be mounted as an accessory.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Is the one in the picture the retractable semi-electrical towbar or a fixed one? I understand that there are several available to be mounted as an accessory.
Fixed

·
Registered
99 Posts
The problem is, once you accept this installation, if they figure out the elegant way, you probably will need replace a new bumper, although I think the elegant way won't come up
We just need people in the ATL area to keep begging the Invisihitch/Execuhitch guys to build one for our vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the photo. I'm personally not a big fun of that look. My current XC60's trailer hitch looks much better although its bumper also got a cut.

Really hope the "the elegant way" will come up soon. While people criticize the compromised range of the other EV when towing, the new xc90 has comprised look if you acquire the towing capability, at least in US...

·
Registered
178 Posts

The semi-electric one is non-US due to regulations.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding the "regulations". The products are virtually identical in the way they attach to the vehicle. Both replace the existing bumper rebar. In addition, the EU towbar is rated to 6,000lbs (2,700kg) vs the US's 5,000lbs. Ugh, I wonder if I can just order the EU part and call it a day. For anyone that's interested the EU part # is 31454696. The trailer module is exactly the same. I guess the big problem would be the wiring, as the EU hitch has the trailer plug integrated into the rotating assembly. Here are some pics for reference

US bar

EU bar

·
Registered
440 Posts
Unfortunately it does make the first Gen XC90 bumper cutout on mine look neat....:facepalm:

Mike

·
Registered
487 Posts
We just need people in the ATL area to keep begging the Invisihitch/Execuhitch guys to build one for our vehicle.

Those guys offered to do it (no begging). They just don't have a vehicle to physically work on so they can spec the design for the hitch. I sent an email and they just need someone in the ATL area with an XC90 to come in. Cutting the bumper and then getting a cludgy cap that falls off is not a solution for a $60K vehicle, its a joke.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I live in Atlanta and am interested in the invisihitch solution. I can work with the invisihitch folks once my xc90 arrives in December. Hope that another Atlanta xc90 owner will volunteer prior to December.

·
Registered
13 Posts
December is not too far away. I agree that it would be great if someone volunteered sooner but it's good to know there's at least one Atlanta owner to be ready to work with them. I just can't bring myself to let Volvo cut up my bumper like that.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I recall the Mod GrecianVolvo stating a while back that on the XC90's with the Urban Style Kit there is a different rear bumper design with a opening in place for the hitch to be installed cleanly. Not sure about the Rugged Style Kit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I recall the Mod GrecianVolvo stating a while back that on the XC90's with the Urban Style Kit there is a different rear bumper design with a opening in place for the hitch to be installed cleanly. Not sure about the Rugged Style Kit.
Here's the rear bumper from the urban style kit

You still have to cut it :mad: to fit a US market hitch

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding the "regulations". The products are virtually identical in the way they attach to the vehicle. Both replace the existing bumper rebar. In addition, the EU towbar is rated to 6,000lbs (2,700kg) vs the US's 5,000lbs. Ugh, I wonder if I can just order the EU part and call it a day. For anyone that's interested the EU part # is 31454696. The trailer module is exactly the same. I guess the big problem would be the wiring, as the EU hitch has the trailer plug integrated into the rotating assembly. Here are some pics for reference

US bar

EU bar

US requires two eyelets for safety chains. These eyelets are not on the EU retractable hitch, thus it is not offered in the US. Most US customers prefer the square receiver as that offers flexibility in the accessories that utilize a square receiver, such as bike racks, cooler/luggage platforms, etc.

·
Registered
99 Posts
US requires two eyelets for safety chains. These eyelets are not on the EU retractable hitch, thus it is not offered in the US. Most US customers prefer the square receiver as that offers flexibility in the accessories that utilize a square receiver, such as bike racks, cooler/luggage platforms, etc.
Ah, totally missed the safety chains.

·
Registered
18 Posts
December is not too far away. I agree that it would be great if someone volunteered sooner but it's good to know there's at least one Atlanta owner to be ready to work with them. I just can't bring myself to let Volvo cut up my bumper like that.
I live in Atlanta and I'm expecting to take delivery this week. How do you contact them?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I live in Atlanta and I'm expecting to take delivery this week. How do you contact them?
I guess you can start by sending a PM, they are a member here just search one of the hitch threads.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts