SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I currently have a 2008 xc90 v8 sports. I am currently purchasing a new caravan which is bordering on the vehicles max capacity for towing. The vehicles limit being 2250kg and the caravan being 2048kg the ball weight is slightly higher then recommended though I will counteract that with level rides and airbag insert's in the rear. My question is.. Has anybody else had experience towing similar weights?.. Also what's was your experience like?....

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Do you have Nivomats? If you have the self leveling rear suspension then you may be in luck. No towing for me, however, I have had about 1500 lbs of stone in the rear of the car. It leveled out and drove fine. You're not going to get that much weight on the tongue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it does not have Nivomats. (Wish it did) I have read a few threads about towing on here though it seems I might be a little heavier in weight.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Don't have Nivomats because you pulled them off?

If it's a 7-seater, pretty sure they came standard with Nivomats. And if it's an '08 V8 Sport, pretty sure they came stock with Nivomats (Rear Strut Code 48) .

Have a look at this post http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...it-quot-sport-quot-trim-XC90-suspension-parts and see if maybe your lower left of the ID plate (right rear passenger door sill, front) is the same as the example. On my '08 V8 Sport, it's exactly the same.

Sure it does not have them?

Note for anyone who might find value, on my '05 the placard is under the hood, driver side fender. Suspension codes are noted on the bottom right, information layout is exactly the same.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
V8 sports automatically came with Nivomats. Another way to check is peer into the rear springs and look for a label that says "do not pierce, high pressure" or something to that effect. My V8 sport has successfully pulled 10,200 lbs and stayed level, but it has the auxillary transmission cooler. I didn't have to take it on hills, but it seemed like it would pull just fine, as long as it has trailer brakes that are tuned correctly.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi All,
I currently have a 2008 xc90 v8 sports. I am currently purchasing a new caravan which is bordering on the vehicles max capacity for towing. The vehicles limit being 2250kg and the caravan being 2048kg the ball weight is slightly higher then recommended though I will counteract that with level rides and airbag insert's in the rear. My question is.. Has anybody else had experience towing similar weights?.. Also what's was your experience like?....
Me towing over max rated capacity with trailer/car.. (5500lb plus 2x adult and 2x kid) Does not like hills though, 06 2.5t

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry All!.. Yes it does have Nivomat. It's comforting to hear there are some good experiences with heavy weights

·
Registered
669 Posts
Another SS member, itwontstopsnowin, towed an XC90 with his V8 XC90 on a car trailer. The XC he was towing might have been a little lighter since it was one of the cutaways, but it still was no featherweight.

That being said, I'm personally scared of getting near tow capacity for any real distance, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Middle of October, just a small load. Probably only weighed 4k with the trailer.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Did you pick it up? How's it tow?

Sent from my igloo using a polar bear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked the new van up last weekend. Towed like a dream apart from using a taaaaadddd more fuel but that was to be expected.

Happy caravanning times ahead!....

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Pictures please?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Very nice! I'm a little jealous of the weather there! What's your hitch and tongue look like? I see you're RHD, and the towing options on that side of the Pond intrigue me

·
Registered
834 Posts
I apologize if I missed it somewhere, but is there a factory Volvo lighting kit that you can install for these? I'm looking into adding a hitch (the easy part) I'm just curious about wiring for lighting and/or brakes.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I have the factory 4 pin, plus a seven round & 4 flat adapter. Bought at Napa for $30. It works really well. There is a Volvo adapter that changes shift points, but I don't have it because I have a light bar wired into the adapter that would make it think there was always a trailer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts