SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a bad idea? I put our toddler’s car seat in the third row and I hooked the rear car seat tether to the cargo hook in the trunk since Volvo doesn’t have third row tether connectors.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I don’t think it’s a bad idea.

I’ve only seen such setup on Audi’s Q7 which I honestly love. As it’s the safest location for kids in my opinion.
Volvo is also missing the isofix points in the third row and center seat in the second row. Which is again confusing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Is it more convenient mounting the seat in the 3rd than 2nd row seats?

Also, I'd have thought the 2nd row is safer than 3rd in that in an emergency, you'd be able to escape with the child from the vehicle much quicker than if the child was in the 3rd row.

Furthermore, the 2nd row being in the .middle of the car, seems to provide more space for cabin protection of occupants than the 3rd row, which is much closer to the rear, fuel tank etc.

Personally, I'd rather use the 2nd than 3rd row seats for practical safety reasons.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
895 Posts
Is it more convenient mounting the seat in the 3rd than 2nd row seats?

Also, I'd have thought the 2nd row is safer than 3rd in that in an emergency, you'd be able to escape with the child from the vehicle much quicker than if the child was in the 3rd row.

Furthermore, the 2nd row being in the .middle of the car, seems to provide more space for cabin protection of occupants than the 3rd row, which is much closer to the rear, fuel tank etc.

Personally, I'd rather use the 2nd than 3rd row seats for practical safety reasons.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I used to be in the same boat, till my brother showed me a German safety study that indicated the third row.
I’m not convinced at all but I do trust the Germans when it comes to such stuff, not food thou

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
655 Posts
I suspect that the ISOFiX placement is set by FMVSS (or a sillier safety regulation) and is not up to the vehicle manufacturers. As far as second row vs third row, we had three car seats across our Volvos back in the day.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
As it’s the safest location for kids in my opinion.
It’s not the safest area. 2nd row is.

Volvo is also missing the isofix points in the third row and center seat in the second row. Which is again confusing.
Why confusing? Third row is not for child seats. Volvo engineers are making a point of this, actually, they have been a similar point since 2002...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, my main concern would be if the rear tether would hold appropriately in an accident if attached to the cargo tether. This is for our 5 year old, so the alternative is just an unattached booster seat in the third row. Feels like his Diono car seat is safer than that. We attach it to the seat with the seatbelt.

We usually put our kids in 2nd row as everyone says, and agree it is safer, but need a workable option when grandparents are visiting and we need seating for 6, without making 82 year olds climb into the third row. :-/

I believe the Audi Q7 and Mercedes do have rear tethers in the 3rd row.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts