SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of a newbie here still, and I have tried searching but I am not finding an answer so I thought I would ask here.

I have a '19 XC90 loaded up pretty well. I have the second and third row down so Binky can ride back there!

I do not feel ANY air coming out of either of the 3rd row seats whatsoever. I see the line that the vents can be opened verses closed but changing the open verses closed make no difference.

On the AC control, I do not see a fan setting for the 3rd row like there appears to be for the 2nd row. Should there be a fan setting for the 3rd row? If I turn off the 3rd row on Sensus,no change. If I turn on Sensus 3rd row, the icon turns blue, but no air whatsoever comes out of the back.

With the second row down, I can clearly feel AC coming out of the center vents for the second row, and the two on each side of the "A" pillar for the second row. So all good there. But I cannot get any air to come out of the 3rd row vents with the seats down.

Thought I would ask here. Any advice on what I might be doing wrong would be most appreciated by Binky - the Florida Inferno is on now!

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
The 3rd row blower speed is set by adjusting the 2nd row blower speed. The 3rd row is linked to the 2nd row control if you want to adjust the blower speed but you can turn off the 3rd row blower independently.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I am also somewhat disappointed in that there is very little air flow (volume) even when the second row is maxed out. They need some sort of aux fan to push the air through.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am also somewhat disappointed in that there is very little air flow (volume) even when the second row is maxed out. They need some sort of aux fan to push the air through.

In my case, there is absolutely nothing coming out of the rear vents at all? Or could it be so bad it is undetectable when you put your hand up to it?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
In my case, there is absolutely nothing coming out of the rear vents at all? Or could it be so bad it is undetectable when you put your hand up to it?
Obviously make sure the vent is open by rotating the wheel next to the vent. The airflow is strong enough where you can feel it with your hand assuming it is turned on high. That is still pretty weak in my mind. I wish we could add an auxiliary fan for a faster fan motor then is currently being used.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Obviously make sure the vent is open by rotating the wheel next to the vent. The airflow is strong enough where you can feel it with your hand assuming it is turned on high. That is still pretty weak in my mind. I wish we could add an auxiliary fan for a faster fan motor then is currently being used.
I wonder if part of the issue is the flow resistance from the blower to the 2nd row vent is significantly less than the flow resistance from the blower to the 3rd row; given all vents are at their max open position. If so, part of it might be deliberate, given that for most, 3rd row ends up not being used. Maybe by moving the 2nd row vent settings to 50% or even close to 0 while the 3rd row is at 100% might work for @ Flame Red?

Having said that, if my reading of what @GrecianVolvo (below) is correct, while the 3rd row's pressure source is electrically dependent on the 2nd row, the pressure strength itself won't change when the settings are changed per my statement above.

The 3rd row blower speed is set by adjusting the 2nd row blower speed. The 3rd row is linked to the 2nd row control if you want to adjust the blower speed but you can turn off the 3rd row blower independently.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have the second and third row down so Binky can ride back there!
Interesting. Based on this version (link here) of the xc90 owner's guide:
NOTE
The air conditioning for the third row of seats is automatically activated if any of the third row seat belts are buckled. It is not possible to manually activate air conditioning for the third row of seats if the main air conditioning system is deactivated or the climate system* for the second row of seats is deactivated.

* Option/accessory
So, it seems that for the blower to have air reach the 3rd row, all these conditions must be true:
(1) The vent opening must not be blocked
(2) At least 1 of the 2 third row seatbelts are buckled
(3) The second row air conditioning system is activated (either via Sensus or the 2nd row controls)
(3b) the third row air conditioning is activated (via Sensus)

This is quite obscure. I can see why they key the air conditioning feature off the 3rd row seat belts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. Based on this version (link here) of the xc90 owner's guide:

So, it seems that for the blower to have air reach the 3rd row, all these conditions must be true:
(1) The vent opening must not be blocked
(2) At least 1 of the 2 third row seatbelts are buckled
(3) The second row air conditioning system is activated (either via Sensus or the 2nd row controls)
(3b) the third row air conditioning is activated (via Sensus)

This is quite obscure. I can see why they key the air conditioning feature off the 3rd row seat belts.
Bingo! We have a winner!!!

I even emailed Volvo customer service and they came back and said it must be broken and to take it into the dealer!

So I plugged in the doggie seat belt and air started coming out of the vent! Yes, the air flow is a bit lame, but something is now blowing out of the vent and that is much better than nothing blowing out of the vents!

Thank you! Binky thanks you!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
You're welcome

I even emailed Volvo customer service and they came back and said it must be broken and to take it into the dealer!
Customer service usually depends on a troubleshooting guide / script to respond to questions. It makes sense to have an official guide to make sure every person answering questions respond consistently. The catch is that it is generally impossible to anticipate all customer questions, so guides can never be guaranteed to be comprehensive. That and the complexity of modern vehicles may make it impossible to cover everything. For many companies, questions from the field eventually makes it back for review, and hopefully will result in revision of the guide used by the customer service group.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts