SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Brand new here. Brand new to Volvo. Hope you don't mind if I ask a dumb question! First, a little background.

My wife's old Toyota Sequoia is showing its age and we recently moved to a more rural area where she is finding herself driving MUCH more than she has in the past. With three young daughters she actually filled up with gas three times in one week last week. That 14MPG is really coming back to haunt us.

We've been talking about a new SUV for awhile but have held off waiting for Toyota to update the Sequoia...which they haven't. But as we were waiting we started to ask ourselves if we could get away with a mid-sized SUV. This would help with the fuel economy to be sure! We're still on the fence (3 kids, dog, extremely active family) but we're thinking we can go smaller.

This Friday night we have a babysitter to go do some car shopping (woohoo...some exciting "date" huh?). We're looking at the usual suspects in the mid-sized...XC90, X5, Q7, and given our past Toyota loyalty the Highlander. We may also look at some full-size SUVs too. But there is something that caught my eye about the XC90.

My car is a Tesla Model S and I'm fully bought into an electric future. Love it. I actually have a deposit down on a Model X to replace the Model S. But that's another forum. I bring it up because I'm intrigued by the tech in the T8. Getting a little electric into our SUV sounds great. Especially for my wife who is shuttling the kids around town. Should do wonders for her MPG. Not to mention the Tesla-mini dashboard! ;-)

That is way too much to write for this one dumb question...what kind of lead times are we looking at for the T8 right now? I'm seeing references in various threads to late spring/early summer...sound right? This is a bit of bummer as the Sequoia is aging quickly and with a few road trips on the horizon; it may be enough to convince us to skip the XC90 and go with something that has more immediate availability.

Another confusing aspect is that on Volvo's official site it says there is no T8 inventory. But if I view inventory on my local dealer's website, it actually shows two T8s available. Odd.

I know, I know...ask the dealer. I haven't engaged a dealer yet as I'm trying to do some research before our Friday "date night." Thought I'd start with the experts here first. Thanks all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think there's not a lot of good information out there right now for XC90 T8 availability and especially lead times for newer orders.
If you've been reading this board, it sounds like there are a few people reporting actual delivery of T8's, but I think these are the brave folks who placed orders waaaay back in mid 2015 when Volvo started accepting orders for the T8.

I'm the SF Bay Area, and put in an order for a T8 Inscription in October. I wasn't able to get any information about when this order might even begin to be processed for the longest time. I did recently hear that my dealer is estimating orders might start getting filled and build numbers being issued around January 20. And then the best-guess for delivery would be late May or June.

So I think they are still dealing with:
1. vastly underestimating the number of T8 orders.
2. apparently very poor communication between Volvo/Volvo NA/dealers.

I'm holding onto this order, even with my 2002 Toyota Highlander wheezing it's last gasps, as I haven't seen anything else comparable that I think I could be driving sooner (Model X, Audi Q7 diesel plug-in... anything else? Maybe the just announced Chrysler plug-in minivan?).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
what kind of lead times are we looking at for the T8 right now?
There are a few folks in the forum that work for dealers - hopefully they'll give you a good answer to that question.

FWIW - I ordered one in May 2015 ... there was a manufacturing delay and some other issues (software, regulatory) - vehicle finally in my hands here in the US in December 2015. As amb3rgris pointed out, seems like Volvo underestimated the percentage of XC90 orders that would be T8. Didn't help that in some places (like The Netherlands) there were some 2015 tax incentives that helped drive up that order count.

... the Sequoia is aging quickly and with a few road trips on the horizon; it may be enough to convince us to skip the XC90 and go with something that has more immediate availability.
While I typically purchase vehicles built to order (and hence lead time issues) maybe you can find one that a dealer has ordered for their inventory? Then there's this:

Another confusing aspect is that on Volvo's official site it says there is no T8 inventory. But if I view inventory on my local dealer's website, it actually shows two T8s available. Odd.
I had noticed that as well. And I think there may be a (fairly?!) simple explanation: I think the Volvo on-line inventory is probably a pay-for service they offer dealers ... and the dealers would have to maintain their stock / inventory there. Some dealers may opt to use a different service (the likes of dealer.com, etc.) - again, a service they pay for and have to maintain the inventory on.

At least you can find where all the US Volvo dealers are on their web site. My dealer doesn't have a T8 in stock (I don't think they'll order one for the lot) - but the two other dealers that are within a 45-minute drive both have a T8 ... maybe you'll be lucky and find a dealer nearby that has one in a config you'd like.

I'm getting around 35 MPG total - but sometimes upwards of 15 miles totally on battery. I'm glad I (somewhat patiently) stuck out the wait for this one - the XC90 is a great vehicle and some of the added features of the T8 make it even more worth the while.

Good Luck - and happy date night out!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Middkid, if your local dealer claims to have cars, and you need one soon, then look into that. I ordered my T8 to my spec back in August and it is scheduled for April delivery now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
The variation in the T8 numbers is sort of baffling. I ordered in November, have a January build date, and an estimated delivery of March. I didn't go to the closest dealership, though. I'm in the S.F. Bay Area, and I went to Lawrence, in Walnut Creek, because they seemed to have it better together.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm also a Model S owner since January 2013, and I'm all-in on an electric future. Best car I've ever owned by far. We also put a deposit on the Model X for my wife very early on, but it will be mid- to late-2016 before they make any that sell for less than 6 figures and we've since cancelled. We put in an order for an XC90 T8 for her last May, and barring any further delays in the required software updates we will be picking it up at end of day today from our dealer. It is an impressive vehicle, and as a PHEV it was a good compromise for us. I'll let you know what we think relative to the Model S - very different vehicles but lots of cool technology and it checks all of the boxes for my wife.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm also a Model S owner since January 2013, and I'm all-in on an electric future. Best car I've ever owned by far. We also put a deposit on the Model X for my wife very early on, but it will be mid- to late-2016 before they make any that sell for less than 6 figures and we've since cancelled. We put in an order for an XC90 T8 for her last May, and barring any further delays in the required software updates we will be picking it up at end of day today from our dealer. It is an impressive vehicle, and as a PHEV it was a good compromise for us. I'll let you know what we think relative to the Model S - very different vehicles but lots of cool technology and it checks all of the boxes for my wife.
New Model S owner here too. I am also convinced that auto-piloting BEV is the only way. The Model X
really needs a 110kW battery to be compatible with current supercharger intervals.

I also have a wife and kids and I have been following the XC90 T8, the first hybrid SUV from ground up.
The Q7 hybrid is out because of smaller usable space.

In the end it will be between the 2017 Odyssey AWD hybrid and the XC90, wife says, I am rooting for the
Volvo as a former S60R owner. She want to test drive both of course, amazing this bond between soccer
mom and her minivan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I am in the SF Bay Area as well and placed an order (and deposit) on a T8 Inscription in June 2015 before final pricing had officially been released. Was initially given a likely delivery date of Oct./Nov. 2015. Dealer did not communicate well at all, but after some prodding I was finally able to get some specifics in late October. I had heard nothing from the dealer since I first placed the deposit and as the original delivery date was coming close, I was wondering what was going on. It was not a huge deal to me as I did not need the vehicle urgently, but the lack of proactive communication by the dealer when plunking down close to $80k on a vehicle was slightly annoying. Anyway, once I got some specific information from the dealer, it turned out that the drop dead date for changes to the vehicle ended up being late-November (we did make some changes to the original order that were accepted by Volvo) and it was supposed to be delivered first week of January. The vehicle apparently got held in port waiting approval by California Air Resources Board, and the dealer informed me on Friday, Jan. 15, that the hold was released. I am supposed to get an update this week on a specific delivery date, but it seems like for those of us in California, the deliveries may start soon!

Looking forward to it (I think my wife is looking forward to it more as it will be primarily her car); replacing a 2002 Cross Country that has had a funky transmission for about the last 80k miles but has otherwise been soldiering on (minus the power steering which went out in the last month). My primary car was a 2007 V70R until I recently acquired a 2012 Cadillac CTS-V wagon (I'm a wagon guy and can't figure out why Americans don't buy them; so much more fun to drive than SUVs with similar utility). I still have the VR, not sure what to do with it as I love it and there aren't many around. However, both of those cars get horrific gas mileage so hoping to make up for some of that with the T8.

Will let you know when I finally receive it! Good luck to all out there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts